Bondi schools 1914 - 1920 .....

Pacific and Antarctic Ocean

Moderator: Global Moderators

Ellen2

Bondi schools 1914 - 1920 .....

Post by Ellen2 » Fri Dec 02, 2005 10:46 pm

Does anyone know what aschools were in existence during this period?
My mother in law used to speak of riding on horseback to school in Bondi.
She was taken from Greenock aged two after the death of her mother. We assume to a relative of her father David Fisher. We hope school records may provide vital clues to her life and why she returned to Scotland age around 18. Cheers, ellen

StewL

Post by StewL » Sat Dec 03, 2005 2:24 am

Hello Ellen

I have tried but cant find a list of schools in Bondi for that period. They are probably around but where I dont know.

I tried the NSW State Archives but they don’t appear to have student records.

http://www.records.nsw.gov.au/statereco ... w_1556.asp

This is the NSW Education Department, but again they don’t seem to have student records, but they do appear to have admission records for students.

https://www.det.nsw.edu.au/index.htm

There doesn’t appear to be any online access to those records, nor can I find any evidence of those records on microfilm in my neck of the woods. Over here in the West.

From the time period it appears she may have gone to Australia just before WWI or thereabouts.

Have you considered, as she left to return to Scotland when she was 18, that possibly she was in an orphan school. It was not uncommon back then to be sent halfway round the world.

What is her name Ellen?
Stewie

Searching for: Anderson, Balks, Barton, Courtney, Davidson, Downie, Dunlop, Edward, Flucker, Galloway, Graham, Guthrie, Higgins, Laurie, Mathieson, McLean, McLuckie, Miln, Nielson, Payne, Phillips, Porterfield, Stewart, Watson

Ellen2

Bondi Schools

Post by Ellen2 » Sat Dec 03, 2005 10:41 am

Her name was Margaret Sinclair Fisher b 20/5/1912 in Greenock

I see you are reasearching Downie. there is a Frank Downie in my memory bank. I feel he had some connection with my family from Coatbridge, Scotland Cheers, Ellen

(missing letter added to Coatbridge - TS Admin)