William Fyfe b 1848 -Scotland to Dunedin .....

Pacific and Antarctic Ocean

Moderator: Global Moderators

kaisoma

William Fyfe b 1848 -Scotland to Dunedin .....

Post by kaisoma » Wed May 31, 2006 12:53 am

Looking for my gggrandfather's brother and his descendants. Thomas Fyfe went to NZ in 1874. The family were told that he had a brother in the South Island and William is the only one possible. He may have emigrated before then because I don't believe they were able to communicate as they were illiterate.
Family names may include, Alexander, Andrew, Thomas, Janet, Jean, Margaret, Marion and Catherine.
Any help appreciated.
Researching Fyfe, Neil, Simpson, Russell, Coubrough in Scotland

Melmax

Fyfe (Southland, New Zealand)

Post by Melmax » Wed May 31, 2006 5:38 am

Hi Kaisoma,

You could try entering the name "Fyfe" here and look at NZ ship's passenger lists.

http://downtown.co.nz/genealogy/

:idea:
Melissa

Kate

Fyfe

Post by Kate » Thu Jan 04, 2007 9:06 am

Hi Kaisoma this may help a little
Alexander Fyfe Railway Employee
aged 97 died Jan 29th 1935 Dunedin Native of Scotland in NZ 75yrs buried Andersons Bay Cemetery.
Try http://www.cityofdunedin.com/public/registers? its the online cemetries for Dunedin there are a few Fyfe surnames there.
Also found William Fyfe NZ Gazette Dunedin 1916 Public Service
Harriet Darton Fyfe widow aged 97yrs died Dunedin June 17th 1952 Ashes buried at oamaru Cemetery
William Fyfe married Harriet Darton 1890
William Fyfe married Selina Mann 1893
Will filed Selina Fyfe Dunedin 1950
Also try http://www.archway.archives.govt.nz/ for wills etc
Hope this helps if you have any other names let me know I will see what I can find Bye Kate :lol:
Interests Clackmannan Todd Ramsay Midlothian Smail Hamilton Lanark Bryan East Lothian King Sandilands Pryde Skirvin Peebles Johnston Murdison Berwickshire Murdison Watson

gregfyfe

Re: William Fyfe b 1848 -Scotland to Dunedin .....

Post by gregfyfe » Mon Feb 18, 2013 1:06 pm

Hi just came across your post, possibly you've found what your looking for.

William Fyfe and Selina Mann were my great grandparents, if I can help you further let me know. My mother did quite a bit on the family tree.

Kind Regards

Greg

SarahND
Site Admin

Post by SarahND » Mon Feb 18, 2013 1:56 pm

Hello Greg and a warm [TS_welcome]
It looks as though the original poster joined the forum, posted right away and then never came back to see the replies... But perhaps someone else who is searching for this family will find your response! In the meantime, enjoy the forum and let us know if you have any questions of your own.

All the best,
Sarah

AnnetteD

Post by AnnetteD » Wed Apr 16, 2014 6:03 pm

I am a direct descendant of William Fyfe who married Harriet Darton in 1890 in New Zealand. He was a wool scourer and died tragically on the railway line at Maheno North Otago in New Zealand. He had 4 children - Laura, Thomas, Marion and Eleanor and Thomas was my mothers grandfather. There is much more to say to anyone from the same family. I am told that William arrived in New Zealand with his brother Robert and possibly also his father? Robert had two children Elizabeth ( Lizzie) and Stuart.

StewL

Post by StewL » Thu Apr 17, 2014 5:15 am

Hello AnnetteD
[TS_welcome]
As per Sarah's post above, hopefully the original poster will return and have a look.
Stewie

Searching for: Anderson, Balks, Barton, Courtney, Davidson, Downie, Dunlop, Edward, Flucker, Galloway, Graham, Guthrie, Higgins, Laurie, Mathieson, McLean, McLuckie, Miln, Nielson, Payne, Phillips, Porterfield, Stewart, Watson