Assisted passage to New Zealand .....

Pacific and Antarctic Ocean

Moderator: Global Moderators

emanday
Global Moderator

Assisted passage to New Zealand .....

Post by emanday » Mon Oct 30, 2006 10:30 pm

Is there a site where assisted passage immigrants to New Zealand might be found? Two of my uncles went there with their families, one when I was quite small and the other when I was about 12.

I found the burial entry for the one who went there first on a Dunedin site, but the other one went to Christchurch.
[b]Mary[/b]
A cat leaves pawprints on your heart
McDonald or MacDonald (some couldn't make up their mind!), Bonner, Crichton, McKillop, Campbell, Cameron, Gitrig (+other spellings), Clark, Sloan, Stewart, McCutcheon, Ireland (the surname)

JudeNZ01

Cemeteries in Christchurch

Post by JudeNZ01 » Fri Nov 10, 2006 6:00 pm

If you go to library.christchurch.org.nz/Heritage/Cemeteries then click on Christchurch City Council Cemeteries Database you'll find the same set up as the Dunedin City Council site.

Good luck in your research
Jude in the Sunny South Island of New Zealand

emanday
Global Moderator

Post by emanday » Fri Nov 10, 2006 8:18 pm

Thanks for that Jude.

I had a look, but my other uncle isn't listed. Either he is still alive (he'd be in his 80's by now) or they moved elsewhere.

After my mother passed away over ten years ago, we lost touch with our New Zealand relatives. Unless I can find one of then still living, I'm at a loss to know how to reconnect to them.

The one who died in Dunedin had children, but I have no recollection of their names, but they were born in Dunedin.

The one who went to Christchurch had two children born here in Scotland. There were none born in NZ.
[b]Mary[/b]
McDonald or MacDonald (some couldn't make up their mind!), Bonner, Crichton, McKillop, Campbell, Cameron, Gitrig (+other spellings), Clark, Sloan, Stewart, McCutcheon, Ireland (the surname)

Fiona C Davidson

Post by Fiona C Davidson » Mon Oct 08, 2007 5:47 am

Hi Mary - just read your post and was wondering where you are up to on these two NZ rellies? Any progress that you could share? Or have you parked them up for a while in the too hard basket? :D

Fiona
NZ
I'm currently researching Sutherland, Davidson, Baillie (Kilsyth), Wilson (Dunoon), Paton (Dunoonn) in Scotland.

emanday
Global Moderator

Post by emanday » Wed Oct 17, 2007 9:58 pm

Hi Fiona,

Yes, I've laid them to one side for the time being.

One day I will find a way of locating them.
[b]Mary[/b]

theKiwi

Post by theKiwi » Thu Oct 18, 2007 3:36 am

Did you try

http://whitepages.co.nz/

to search for them in the phone books to see if the Christchurch one is still alive maybe?

Roger
Searching: Admiston, Breingan, Cairns, Clark, Dewar, Houliston, Moffat, Nicol, Stoddart, Wright and plenty of others..., see

http://roger.lisaandroger.com/
http://houliston.lisaandroger.com/
http://genealogy.ClanMoffat.org/

Currie

Post by Currie » Thu Oct 18, 2007 5:09 am

You could also have a look at these NZ cemeteries. (New Zealand Cemeteries Online)

http://nzgenealogy.rootschat.net/cemetery.html

Alan

LATER: If things get desperate try the Australian records. At least 10% of the New Zealand population is living in New South Wales.

A former New Zealand Prime Minister once said "New Zealanders who leave for Australia raise the IQ of both countries".

Fiona C Davidson

Post by Fiona C Davidson » Thu Oct 25, 2007 5:59 am

Hi Mary

My heart feels sad that you have lost contact with such close rellies. So much of my own Scottish research is just putting together the basics of the past which I wouldn't have had to do if we had still been in contact. My dad's dad visited family in Scotland when he was on leave during WW 1 but we don't know who cause my grandmother burned his war diaries in her grief after his death in 1945. My grandmother is gone now, Dad can't remember his dad ever mentioning who he visited and stayed with, and so the connection was broken.

If you give me the name of your dead uncle in Dunedin and his death date (day, month, year), I'll write to the national newspaper collection and see if there was a death notice in the Dunedin papers. Writing to the national newspaper collection is generally free, and I can include your uncle with some of my requests.

I would like to help reconnect you up again.

Fiona
I'm currently researching Sutherland, Davidson, Baillie (Kilsyth), Wilson (Dunoon), Paton (Dunoonn) in Scotland.

Alan SHARP

Re: Assisted passage to New Zealand .....

Post by Alan SHARP » Fri Apr 09, 2010 10:56 am

Greetings from NZ.

Hopefully by now you have found your lost family in NZ.

If not, for the living adults, may I suggest you email the nearest public library to where you belive they may be, with their FULL name and date of birth (I note you have two birth details) and politely ask if they will check their electorial rolls. All public libraries have them, and a good place to enquire, or get a local resedent to visit on your behalf, because the electoriate boundries are always changing as do their names, locals know where best to look. Your subject may never have moved address, but be found in different rolls every five years etc. Then go from there.

Alan.

emanday
Global Moderator

Re: Assisted passage to New Zealand .....

Post by emanday » Fri Apr 09, 2010 1:47 pm

Hi Alan,

I did finally manage to find the deaths of the second uncle and his wife. However, nothing I've tried has turned up the whereabouts of my four cousins, or indeed the names of the two of them who were born in NZ.

My son has suggested putting an ad in a national NZ newspaper, so that is probably my next move.
[b]Mary[/b]