Missionaries in Blantyre (Central Africa), c 1890

North, Central, South

Moderator: Global Moderators

Le_Treport

Missionaries in Blantyre (Central Africa), c 1890

Post by Le_Treport » Thu Oct 26, 2006 12:28 pm

Hello forum!

Can anyone point me towards any resources which might help me research a Dr George ROBERTSON who was a missionary in Central Africa in around the 1890s. His son Thomas was born in Blantyre in about 1898, but that's about all I know.

There seems to be a strong link between Scotland and that area (what is now Malawi) --- presumably due to Dr Livingstone? (Pun intended). However, was there any one main missionary society there? Church of Scotland? Baptists?

Many thanks in advance

Alasdair
ROBERTSON (Kelso - Roxb, Leslie - Fife, Kirkpatrick Durham - D&G), MACKIE (Fife, Edi, Portland - OR), BONELLA/BONALLY (Fife), BURNETT (Kirkliston)

LesleyB

Post by LesleyB » Thu Oct 26, 2006 12:43 pm

Hi Alasdair
..and a warm welcome to Talking Scot :D
His son Thomas was born in Blantyre in about 1898, but that's about all I know.
The Scotlands People site may be able to help you establish a little more info on that one. See the link at the top of page.

Best wishes
Lesley

AnneM
Global Moderator

Post by AnneM » Thu Oct 26, 2006 12:51 pm

Hi Alasdair

The church of Scotland was and is well represented in what is now Malawi. It seems likely that your man wa linked with the Church of Scotland. There is even a Church of Scotland cathedral there called St Michael and All Angels.

Anne
Last edited by AnneM on Thu Oct 26, 2006 1:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Anne
Researching M(a)cKenzie, McCammond, McLachlan, Kerr, Assur, Renton, Redpath, Ferguson, Shedden, Also Oswald, Le/assels/Lascelles, Bonning just for starters

Le_Treport

Post by Le_Treport » Thu Oct 26, 2006 1:00 pm

Thank you both.

Tom was born the Blantyre in what is now Malawi, not the one in Scotland.

George ROBERTSON was a medical doctor, so I presume he was there in that capacity.

So would the CoS have any archives which would have more info. I've had a look on their website, but can't find reference to any.
ROBERTSON (Kelso - Roxb, Leslie - Fife, Kirkpatrick Durham - D&G), MACKIE (Fife, Edi, Portland - OR), BONELLA/BONALLY (Fife), BURNETT (Kirkliston)

AnneM
Global Moderator

Post by AnneM » Thu Oct 26, 2006 1:21 pm

Hi

Edited my post while you were posting. I looked for a website for the church there but could not find one. It might be worth e-mailing the Church of Scotland to see if they have any records of your man.

Anne
Anne
Researching M(a)cKenzie, McCammond, McLachlan, Kerr, Assur, Renton, Redpath, Ferguson, Shedden, Also Oswald, Le/assels/Lascelles, Bonning just for starters

LesleyB

Post by LesleyB » Thu Oct 26, 2006 7:15 pm

Hi Alasdair
Tom was born the Blantyre in what is now Malawi, not the one in Scotland.
Whoops! :oops: Oh well, you learn something new every day on this site! :lol:

Best wishes
Lesley

Alison Plenderleith

Post by Alison Plenderleith » Sun Mar 18, 2007 4:20 pm

Hi Alasdair,

Don't know if you're still looking for information but all of the archive material relating to the Blantyre mission is at the National Library of Scotland, with only the most sensitive or confidential material held by the Church of Scotland, or destroyed (this info. received from the Mission Council).

I've been researching Blantyre at the library myself recently and have a fairly good idea of what they've got so if you're still looking for info. and I can help with what's available, let me know.

Kind regards,

Alison