Bible woman goes to South Africa

North, Central, South

Moderator: Global Moderators

Jockbird

Bible woman goes to South Africa

Post by Jockbird » Thu Feb 08, 2007 12:27 pm

Hello All, need a wee bit of info and a point in the right direction please.

My Great grandfather's sister is described as a 'bible woman' in the 1901 census.

By 1909, on her father's poor relief app, it states she is married and in South Africa (Capetown allegedly) and has taken a younger sister with her.

Would or could this be in the line of her work?

Also, where would I find records of people who went to South Africa? I can find the boat bits for going to America etc and wondered if there was similar for going there.

Many thanks.

Donna :wink:
x

Tracey
Global Moderator

Post by Tracey » Thu Feb 08, 2007 12:35 pm

Hi Donna

Like you my gt grandfathers sisters emigrated to South Africa after 1907 ish. I am waiting for http://www.ancestorsonboard.com/ to come on line to find them going out there. Although i could go to TNA i never seem to get round to it.

Tracey

Edit....i just saw they now have dates up to 1909
Last edited by Tracey on Thu Feb 08, 2007 5:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Scotland - Donaldson / Moggach / Shaw / Geddes / Sim / Gray / Mackie / Richards / Joel / Coull / Mckimmie / Panton / McGregor
Ireland and Scotland - Casey / McDade / Phillips / McCandle / Dinely / Comaskey + various spellings

Jockbird

Post by Jockbird » Thu Feb 08, 2007 5:17 pm

Brilliant Tracey, thank you.

I'm going to hotfoot it over there now and have a wee look.

Many thanks

Donna :wink:

SarahND
Site Admin

Re: Bible woman goes to South Africa

Post by SarahND » Thu Feb 08, 2007 5:55 pm

Hi Donna,
Jockbird wrote: Would or could this be in the line of her work?
Sure could! My grandparents were over there being "bible people" at about the same time (they went over in 1911 I think). My father was born in Cape Town. I wonder if they met up with your gg aunts? :!:
All the best,
Sarah

WilmaM

Post by WilmaM » Thu Feb 08, 2007 9:48 pm

There is a web site with information on various Bible Missionaries from the past:

http://www.mundus.ac.uk/

The Mundus Gateway is a web-based guide to more than four hundred collections of overseas missionary materials held in the United Kingdom. These materials, comprising the archives of British missionary societies, collections of personal papers, printed matter, photographs, other visual materials and artefacts, are held in a large number of libraries, record offices and other institutions in England, Northern Ireland, Scotland and Wales. The Mundus Gateway makes it easier for researchers to locate these collections and obtain sufficient information about their contents to enable effective planning of research visits.

That may be of help to you.
Wilma

Jockbird

Post by Jockbird » Fri Feb 09, 2007 10:54 am

Thanks for that link Wilma, I'll have a good look at that. It's fascinating as Isabella being a bible woman is a real break from what the rest of the family were doing.

Sarah, perhaps they did. I don't know if the 'bible people' community all kept together but you'd have thought there might have been a 'community' of Scots who'd gone over there. This is my Glasgow gang, not the Aberdeenshire ones, either way I'd expect the accent to have stood out a wee bit over there! Yet another link between us :wink:

Best wishes
Donna
x