Emigrants to South Africa?

North, Central, South

Moderator: Global Moderators

Tracey
Global Moderator

Post by Tracey » Thu Aug 30, 2007 7:46 pm

Kathy,

I had no idea what happened to a couple of mine and while looking on the moray site i saw that a note had been added to the name i was looking for mentioning South Africa. This is all i had. I contacted a researcher with literally a name and her mothers name and within 20 mins had got back to me with who she married where she lived and when she died ! That gave me the bare bones to work on and put out messages here and on South African message boards ect and was contacted by a descendant relatively quickly, that was a few years ago and only 2 weeks ago was contacted by another descendant.
So dont give up hope, you can be lucky and best of all the information
from the researcher was free.

...........still cant find any of them on the passenger list though :roll: :!:
Scotland - Donaldson / Moggach / Shaw / Geddes / Sim / Gray / Mackie / Richards / Joel / Coull / Mckimmie / Panton / McGregor
Ireland and Scotland - Casey / McDade / Phillips / McCandle / Dinely / Comaskey + various spellings

Kathykins

Post by Kathykins » Wed Sep 05, 2007 8:29 am

Thank you all - that's quite encouraging! It's just frustrating to know that there's a branch of the family out there that we've lost touch with. My grandma was writing to them when she was alive, which wasn't all that long ago, but the address was lost after she died.

I know that they were living in Cape Town when Gran was writing to them, so at least I've got a starting point!
Luceo non uro

Researching McKenzies of Caputh/Clunie, Perthshire
Morrisons of Aberdeenshire & Perthshire
Cobbs of Brechin, Angus
Scotts of Monifieth, Angus