Help with finding an address

The History and Geography of Auld Scotia

Moderators: Global Moderators, Russell

Bartmac

Help with finding an address

Post by Bartmac » Sat May 10, 2008 5:55 pm

Hi all,

could anyone help me with an address given in the 1851 census for Govan?

The address given is "Fireworks White House, Fireworks, Lanarks - Parish: Govan (646)" I've had a look at old maps of Govan but could not find such a place, any help would be much appreciated.

Regards John :P

LesleyB

Post by LesleyB » Sat May 10, 2008 7:18 pm

Hi John
Where have you seen this address? Is it from a transcription on Ancestry, or is it from an original census page from Scotlands People?

Best wishes
Lesley

Hugo

Post by Hugo » Sat May 10, 2008 7:44 pm

Given the nature of the product, it could be an isolated factory 'The Fire Works'. Lanarks could be an abbreviation of Lanarkshire.

Hugo

Douglas P

Post by Douglas P » Sat May 10, 2008 8:31 pm

Census entries tend to be grouped with nearby properties. If you look at the entries just before or after your household, then you may find a more meaningful address. This would give you an idea of what area they are living in.

If you've viewed the census page on Scotland's People then you can look at the free header page(s). This will tell you the area covered by the enumerator.

WilmaM

Post by WilmaM » Sat May 10, 2008 11:28 pm

I did a quick Google search and came up with an entry that led me to search FreeCen.

A chap by the name of Robert Logan was living at Fire Works in Govan Parish in 1841.
the header of that entry would indicate it was the Gorbals end of Govan Parish

Piece: SCT1841/646 Place: Govan -Lanarkshire Enumeration District: 6
Civil Parish: Govan Ecclesiastical Parish, Village or Island: GorbalsFolio: 0 Page: 23
Address: Fire Works

That's a good distance from 'Govan' proper.

All the occupants of the neighbouring households then were Coal Miners, or related occupations.
That area was a hive of various industries: Mining, Gas Works, Railways, Iron Works etc it would be hard to try and pinpoint it without further information.

Getting the header notes as suggested would help a great deal.
Wilma

Bartmac

Post by Bartmac » Sun May 11, 2008 5:38 pm

Hi All,

Thanks for the swift replies, I got the address from Freecen, will try Free Header on Scotlands People, thanks especially to Wilma for your comprehensive reply, following another thread, it appears, if I've got the right man!, that my Great Grandfather - who was a coal miner - died in late 1837, and was buried in Gorbals on 7 Jan 1838, at the time the family lived in Main Street, Gorbals. So perhaps the "Fireworks" address was a place they moved widows into.

Once again thankyou all for your replies

Regards John :D

Falkyrn

Re: Help with finding an address

Post by Falkyrn » Fri Sep 09, 2011 12:29 pm

I realise this is an old thread but thought that this clarification for the area may help someone

I was aware thet Fireworks referred to a residential section of Dixon's Blazes in Glasgow but rereading the book "Villages of Glasgow : South of the Clyde" by Aileen Smart threw up further information

In this book in the chapter on Govanhill and Polmadie she refers to Fireworks
which geographically would have been part of Govan Parish and outwith Glasgow until its annexation later on.

Govanhill began as a small colliers village built by William Dixon, a native of Tyneside, for his workers in the Little Govan Colliery ....... The Little village was known locally as The Fireworks. It consisted of several miners Rows set astride Cathcart Road between what are now Allison Street and Calder Street The Rows on the East side of Cathcart Road were named Engine Row, Carter Row, Cuddy Row, Back Close and Graham Square. The Rows on the West side were Hosie's Land and Garden Square
~RJ Paton~

Russell

Re: Help with finding an address

Post by Russell » Sat Sep 10, 2011 12:58 am

Hi Falkyrn

It may be an old thread but I'm sure many folk will find out something new from it, especially showing the way Glasgow absorbed so many of the peripheral villages one by one. It has also reminded me that it pays to pick up previously read books and enjoy another read. Its impossible to store all the information you would like to have at your fingertips but at least you should remember where it was you read it in the first place.

Russell
Working on: Oman, Brock, Miller/Millar, in Caithness.
Roan/Rowan, Hastings, Sharp, Lapraik in Ayr & Kirkcudbrightshire.
Johnston, Reside, Lyle all over the place !
McGilvray(spelt 26 different ways)
Watson, Morton, Anderson, Tawse, in Kilrenny