"Mar's Entry"

The History and Geography of Auld Scotia

Moderators: Global Moderators, Russell

innjess

"Mar's Entry"

Post by innjess » Sun May 25, 2008 3:52 am

I have the above ("Mar's Entry") in the Birth record of 25/04/1841 of my Great Grandfather, William Murray Hutchison, and, whilst I gather it is somewhere in the Earl of Mar's estate in Clackmannan, details as to its exact location, and why it is listed as a place of birth, are proving elusive to discover. Help ... anybody ... Thanks
Innes Hutchison

LesleyB

Post by LesleyB » Sun May 25, 2008 9:41 am

Hi Innes
To me, Mar's entry sounds a bit like it would be a close entrance in a town or city.
Can you give us the district as stated on the birth entry please? Is it "Clackmannan, Clackmannan" or elsewhere in Clackmannan?

Best wishes
Lesley

Currie

Post by Currie » Sun May 25, 2008 10:23 am

Hello Innes,

Here’s a reference to the Earl of Mar being forced to live in a cottage at the gate of Alloa House. http://books.google.com.au/books?id=ZFQ ... J&pg=PA450

That was in the 1600s but chances are there was still a cottage of some description at the gate in 1841 and maybe this was the “Mar’s entry” on the certificate. I assume it was the gate leading to Broad Street. The Earle’s principal residence seems to have remained at Alloa House, according to newspapers and this site http://www.erskinclan.com/gene5.html

Family Estates.-These, in 1928, consist of 7,057 acres in Clackmannanshire, and 149 in Fifeshire. Total, 7,200 acres, worth ¡Ë(r)I 12,000 a year, inclusive of mines,
Principal Residence.-Alloa House, Co. Clackmannan.

Alloa House was burnt to the ground in 1800 leaving the 13th Century tower still standing. It looks like the house was rebuilt not too far away.

There’s an interesting article regarding the Earle’s route to the house in the Glasgow Herald, Friday, September 2, 1892. He proceeded via Broad Street and the Walk, the Walk entrance was the principal entrance to the grounds, and a Mr Mitchell from the Walk House gave a speech etc. viewtopic.php?t=11449

There’s an old photo of the area and the new? house here. See also images 21 & 22.
http://www.clacksweb.org.uk/site/galler ... falloa/24/

Hope this helps,
Alan

innjess

Mar's Entry

Post by innjess » Mon May 26, 2008 2:48 am

Hi Lesley.
I did give details in another e-mail, but that may not have got to the right person! Sorry!
The 25/04/1841 Hutchison, William entry for his birth, is quoted in O.P.R. Births 466/ 0060 0362 Clackmannan. That's all, and no reference to a place, other than Mar's Entry in the record.
Cheers
Innes

trotterbeck

Post by trotterbeck » Mon May 26, 2008 10:44 am

Hi
If you know his parents names you can try an 1841 census look up, the census entry usually shows the neighbouring premises, or the ones either side on the census takers route.
As an example a quick check for Hutchinson (No forename) in Clackmananshire has shown 4 people at Sterling Rd, Tilicoultry.

Anna Hutchinson 1
Carolina Hutchinson 25
John Hutchinson 20
Mary Hutchinson 3

Ancestry doesn't give me access to the images in order to check further.
I'm a Cousin - are you? http://www/LostCousins.com

Looking for Beck and Trotter in Hawick and
Roxburghshire

innjess

Mar's Entry

Post by innjess » Wed May 28, 2008 7:34 am

Many thanks to all who took the time and trouble to reply. Frankly, I'm overwhelmed at the help and goodwill shown, and, I don't mind saying, many people here in Australia have been impressed as well! Some have indicated they will be staring to investigate their own Family Trees, and several have connections to Scotland.
Again, many thanks,
Innes Hutchison