Maggies Haugh

The History and Geography of Auld Scotia

Moderators: Global Moderators, Russell

mentorscotus

Re: Maggies Haugh CALDERBANK

Post by mentorscotus » Wed May 24, 2017 5:57 pm

Trying to piece together as much information on Calderbank ,Faskine and Woodhall as I can. We are trying to SAVE IT from a greedy developer who wants to build 50 commercial units such as delivery companies offices and petrol station and 3000 .....yes that's correct....luxury houses . The whole valley between Calderbank and Carnbroe will be filled up with concrete and the beautiful woods, stream ,farmland and meadow disappear. Apart from that the traffic and fumes and lack of school places and doctors places will be just dreadful. If any CALDERBANK OR COATBRIDGE OR AIRDRIE RESIDENT CAN HELP PLEASE SEE Stop the europark development Facebook page and message us....Books old photos etc and word of mouth history required. ps....MAGGIES HAUGH...BEND IN THE CANAL AND CALDER BURN ...Bridge there is called Maggies Bridge.

cwothers

Re: Maggies Haugh

Post by cwothers » Sun May 10, 2020 8:39 am

Hi there

I know exactly where Maggie's Haugh is. It is on farmland by Faskine farm by Calderbank village. If you search Faskine Farm on google maps you can see the North Calder river beside the farm looping back on itself and that piece of land is Maggie's Haugh. I walk behind it at the Lily pond on Woodhall Estate every day. The small hill beside it is called Stank Brae and is on os maps. The ground on the other side of the river slightly upstream between the river and Monklands canal was the site of the cricket park and there are pillars left from a viaduct across the river which carried the railway line to the canal. The area was industrial in the 1800s and 1900s with ironstone, coal and fireclay mines, Calderbank Iron, then Steelworks, and numerous railways. The farmer who you can find contact details for on yell.com may have more details of the history of his land. Hope this helps and the information doesn't come too late for you.