Maggies Haugh

The History and Geography of Auld Scotia

Moderators: Global Moderators, Russell

katjw

Maggies Haugh

Post by katjw » Mon Mar 30, 2009 2:33 pm

Hello Everyone,

I have relatives who, in the 1851 census, were living in the town Maggies Haugh, in Old Monkland. I haven't been able to find this on any map, would anyone out there know more about it?

Anne H
Global Moderator

Post by Anne H » Mon Mar 30, 2009 3:40 pm

Hi Katjw,

Welcome to TalkingScot. [scotland-flag]

Accordance with this...
http://archiver.rootsweb.ancestry.com/t ... 0931236601
...it appears to be in Bothwell.

Regards,
Anne H

Southpaw

Maggies Haugh

Post by Southpaw » Mon Mar 30, 2009 6:11 pm

Hi Katjw,

My great great grandparents John and Elizabeth Pollock were living in Maggies Haugh in the 1851 census with their five children, including my great grandfather Walter. John and Elizabeth were still living there when they died in the late 1870s. The location is described as Maggies Haugh, Woodhall, Parish of Bothwell in the District of Holytown.

Interesting to see the references to Pollocks Land and Shearers Land in the Bothwell street index. I have many Pollock and Shearer ancestors from this area.

Southpaw
Searching for McMurray, Pollock, McLean, Shearer, Jamieson, Plumpton.

Anne H
Global Moderator

Post by Anne H » Mon Mar 30, 2009 6:57 pm

Hi Katjw,

Here's another reference to Maggie's Haugh. Maybe someone good with maps might be able to figure out where it might be using the coordinates provided in this link...
http://archiver.rootsweb.ancestry.com/t ... 1146498104

Regards,
Anne H

Southpaw

Maggies Haugh

Post by Southpaw » Mon Mar 30, 2009 7:46 pm

Hi Katjw

The map is easy to locate just by plugging in the coordinates provided. Woodhall is on it but Maggies Haugh isn't. I suspect it wasn't much more than a piece of farmland along the water. My great great grandfather was a farmer. His cause of death is listed on his death image as "Killed by falling over a precipice into the Calder Water near his own house." This seems to locate it pretty closely if not precisely.

Southpaw
Searching for McMurray, Pollock, McLean, Shearer, Jamieson, Plumpton.

AndrewP
Site Admin

Post by AndrewP » Mon Mar 30, 2009 7:57 pm

A large scale map of the place given by the co-ordinates 276137,663133 can be found at click here. There is certainly a haugh there, but there is no sign of Maggie's Haugh being named there or thereabouts on any of the maps of the area I checked on the NLS digital map website.

All the best,

AndrewP

katjw

Post by katjw » Tue Mar 31, 2009 9:17 am

Wow!
Thanks everyone, I didn't expect so many replies so quickly.
I had looked at that web site before but typing in Maggies Haugh gave me a place near Inverness. Another question - what exactly is a Haugh?

Bervonian

Maggie's Haugh

Post by Bervonian » Tue Mar 31, 2009 10:02 am

A haugh is defined as a riverside meadow or flat.

AndrewP
Site Admin

Re: Maggie's Haugh

Post by AndrewP » Tue Mar 31, 2009 12:41 pm

Bervonian wrote:A haugh is defined as a riverside meadow or flat.
... often within a loop of a river as it winds its way across flat land.

All the best,

AndrewP

hbaird

Post by hbaird » Fri Oct 16, 2009 10:01 pm

Katjw,

It took me a while to catch up on your post I know but hey! I know exactly the spot you are querying. My rellies lived in the village of Calderbank for many years - my Great Grandfather met with a fatal accident in the disused mine in 1907. The mine was called Woodhall Colliery and was part of the Woodhall Estate. If you look at the map slightly above and to the right of Dovecot Wood, you can see a small semi-circle shape. This was the site of Woodhall House - owned by the Whitelaw family. I have a book on the history of Calderbank - must re-read it and I'll report back if there's any mention of Maggie's Haugh.
Searching for: Baird, McCusker, McGugan, Kelly,McCulloch, Meikle, McCartney