Rescivet - Chapel of Garioch, Aberdeenshire

The History and Geography of Auld Scotia

Moderators: Global Moderators, Russell

Ted

Re: Rescivet - Chapel of Garioch, Aberdeenshire

Post by Ted » Sun Dec 20, 2009 7:27 pm

Hi Lesley

Thanks - what a pity - I had some hopes there for a couple of my lot. The descriptor looked as if there may have been some good material on that site. Hey-ho that's genealogy.

Regards

Ted
Looking for Allan / Gordon / Troup / McInnes / Grant / Taylor / Jackson from Aberdeen (city & shire) & Banffshire
Alexander / Allan / Stewart in W Lothian
Allan / Burnett in USA and Canada / Davidson & Philp in Fife and Lanarkshire

speleobat2

Post by speleobat2 » Sun Dec 20, 2009 7:44 pm

Ted and Lesley,

Well, phooey! Someone connected with a small museum over here told me last May that geocities was dropping all it's free sites--or, I guess, Yahoo was. :x

Anyway, not to worry! I printed out all the info in 2007 when I found the site. I have 36 pages for Oyne and 30 pages for Blairdaff. I'd be happy to look through them for you! I've already found a lead for myself that I missed the first time around. There is a gravestone for two Davidsons at Westhall during the correct time period no less for the Jean Davidson whom I'm looking for!!!

I'm off to the IGI to follow up on mine. Send me your list!

Carol :D
Looking for: Clerihew, Longmuir/Longmore, Chalmers, Milne, Barclay in Newhills,
Munro, Cadenhead, Raitt, Ririe/Reary

Ted

Post by Ted » Sun Dec 20, 2009 8:01 pm

Hi Carol

You are a star - good on you for downloading when you viewed the list!

I am looking in particular for Eliza Mearns Allan - baptised in Chapel of Garioch 3 June 1838. Parents James Allan and Jane Aitken - I have her on the 1841 census in Inverurie - but have no trace of her thereafter - she is one of my brick walls. I have looked for her for years with no success.
Could you also check for her younger sister Jean Allan Bn 19 Dec 1840 - she was also with their parents in Inverurie on the 1841 census - but after that I can find no trace of her either. I suspect that they both died as children before statuatory registration came into play.

Much obliged for your help.

Ted
Looking for Allan / Gordon / Troup / McInnes / Grant / Taylor / Jackson from Aberdeen (city & shire) & Banffshire

speleobat2

Post by speleobat2 » Sun Dec 20, 2009 8:40 pm

Ted,

No luck with Eliza or Jean in either Oyne or Blairdaff.

I did find in Oyne Jemima Allan b. 1848 d. 1885 married to George Cruickshank
Mary Allan, Ryehill b. 1848 d. 1868 mother Mary Davidson

In Blairsdaff, Alexander Allan farmer in Longfold b. 1804 d. 1887 married to Jessie Harper
James Allan, Bucksburn b. 1850 d. 1932

There are also a number of listing for people who died much more recently which I can send you a pm about if you think you might be interested in them. Since they died after the cut off date that TS observes, I won't publish them here.

Ted

Post by Ted » Sun Dec 20, 2009 10:26 pm

Hi Carol

Thanks very much for trying - it was perhaps a long shot but I have not much else to go on with these two girls - I have checked out BMD's for both of them all over Scotland and can find no trace - hence my assumption that they died as children between 1841 and 1851. I don't seem to have any connection to the other Allan's in the area - the girl's parents James Allan and Jane Aitken came from Peterhead and Udny respectively (according to various census returns for them).

I have traced the rest of that family up to modern times - so none of the others in Oyne or Blairdaff will be mine.

I guess my brick walls will have to stay standing for now ! ](*,)

Thanks lots

Ted

Currie

Post by Currie » Mon Dec 21, 2009 7:18 am

Hello All,

The Internet Archive has some material from the geocities site for “mickeyj3118853” Oyne doesn’t work but Blairdaff and some of the other stuff does. There’s a contact address if anyone is interested. http://web.archive.org/web/200602241414 ... yj3118853/

This site claims to have archived geocities pages. http://www.oocities.com/
If you click on #187 in the list you’ll find a link to “mickeyj3118853” about ¾ of the way down. There’s nothing there at the moment but maybe there will be later and maybe there is for some other pages that have been trashed by geocities.

Googling for strings of text from the Blairdaff MI’s gives no result so it appears that the page owner hasn’t put the info on a site somewhere else.

Hope that’s useful,
Alan

Ted

Post by Ted » Mon Dec 21, 2009 7:36 am

Thanks Alan - that's helpful.

Regards

Ted

mcmon 30

Post by mcmon 30 » Mon Dec 21, 2009 12:45 pm

Hi Carol,
I guess we need to check if she was a sister of Alexander, who was born 13/12/1781.

I note that Evelyn Gill is an expert on Oyne. Can you get any clarity on her contact email. The one listed on the roots system is not working for me.

Another excellent contact is Monica Anton if you can locate her.

Cheers and good hunting :

John - McMon30

mcmon 30

Post by mcmon 30 » Mon Dec 21, 2009 1:02 pm

Hi Ted

No PM as yet. Where did you send it. was 28 in header or 26 - should be 28?

Yes it is interesting as all the chatter at present seems to show a close community and much inter breeding.

Cheers John

speleobat2

Post by speleobat2 » Mon Dec 21, 2009 7:26 pm

Hi John,

Don't have an email address for Evelyn Gill. Wish I did. Maybe she could untangle some of these knots!

Looks like there's a good possibility that my Jean Davidson was the daughter of John Davidson. According to the gravestone in Oyne cemetery he had a son John, a merchant at Bridgend of Westhall and a son Robert also a merchant who died at Old Westhall. SP has them born in 1759 and 1760 respectively.

Jean would have been born in the 1750's. SP has two both with father John Davidson, both born in Inverurie, one in 1752 and one in 1755. Of course, that's where the papers run out. I can't find mothers for any of the three and even if I did, I still can't find what happened to her son born in 1779. And even if I found that out, I still wouldn't have any proof that her son was the father of my 2x great grandfather!

But it's nice to have at least a possibility!