Meln of Gryph ?

The History and Geography of Auld Scotia

Moderators: Global Moderators, Russell

berryorr

Meln of Gryph ?

Post by berryorr » Sun Jul 18, 2010 6:56 pm

I have an ancestor who was born in 1754 in the 'Meln of Gryph', near Houston and Killellan in Renfrewshire. Although the word may be Maln or Miln- it looks most like an 'e'. Is this a place such as a Mill on the Gryph, or what? I can not find any reference to anything that seems to help. ](*,)

Montrose Budie

Re: Meln of Gryph ?

Post by Montrose Budie » Sun Jul 18, 2010 9:12 pm

Try Mill of Gryfe, near Bridge of Weir. Bridge of Weir is just over a mile to the west of the village of Houston.

mb

nelmit

Post by nelmit » Sun Jul 18, 2010 9:18 pm

berryorr wrote:I have an ancestor who was born in 1754 in the 'Meln of Gryph', near Houston and Killellan in Renfrewshire. Although the word may be Maln or Miln- it looks most like an 'e'. Is this a place such as a Mill on the Gryph, or what? I can not find any reference to anything that seems to help. ](*,)
A Google brings up the name of Gryff in the area.

A look at an old map shows a Griefs Castle and Grief Mills at Bridge of Weir. Could this be it?

Zoom in to Bridge of Weir on the left square, 2 down near the bottom.

Regards,
Annette

Russell

Post by Russell » Sun Jul 18, 2010 9:38 pm

Hi Berryorr

If it was on the south side of the river Gryffe it may show up in the Kilbarchan parish records as Bridge of Weir village was part of the parish until the late 1800's.
I have checked the Hearth Tax records from the 1690's for Kilbarchan and an 1840's map of the area and Mill or Miln of Gryfe did not appear at all. It may lie in the parish of Houston (later Houston and Crosslee).

Russell
Working on: Oman, Brock, Miller/Millar, in Caithness.
Roan/Rowan, Hastings, Sharp, Lapraik in Ayr & Kirkcudbrightshire.
Johnston, Reside, Lyle all over the place !
McGilvray(spelt 26 different ways)
Watson, Morton, Anderson, Tawse, in Kilrenny