Thurrs been a Murrder!

The History and Geography of Auld Scotia

Moderators: Global Moderators, Russell

johnniegarve

Thurrs been a Murrder!

Post by johnniegarve » Tue Jul 12, 2011 2:31 pm

Folks, Duncan MacIntosh of Crathiemor, Laggan, Badenoch, was killed by the Clan Cameron at Drummin, around 1591, according to the Clan MacPherson Mag'. Can anybody cast any light on this event. Presumably an episode in the dispute between The MacIntosh and the Cameron's & MacDonells of Keppoch over rents, which culminated in the battle of Mulroy a century later.

LesleyB

Re: Thurrs been a Murrder!

Post by LesleyB » Tue Jul 12, 2011 5:15 pm

Hi Johnnie
I'm not sure what the "Clan MacPherson Mag" you refer to is, but the first logical step would be to contact the author of the article and ask what his or her reference was for the information.

Best wishes
Lesley

Currie

Post by Currie » Wed Jul 13, 2011 11:03 am

Hello Johnnie,

There’s a brief reference to the incident on the 15th line of the 11th page of this pdf document. “An Old Highland Parish Register”. http://www.clan-macpherson.org/museum/d ... lang02.pdf

Hope that helps,
Alan

johnniegarve

Post by johnniegarve » Wed Jul 13, 2011 10:31 pm

Lesley & Alan, many thanks for your trouble, I had found this reference in the Creag Dhu, mag', this document from Alan is obviously where they got it from.
Another MacIntosh of Crathie, John, apparently joined his cousin, The MacIntosh, in his ill-fated rent collecting expedition to Lochaber in 1679, from which the MacPherson's, who had declined to join up, had to rescue MacIntosh himself, so Duncan's death in 1591 can probably be put down to the same feud. (long memories these folk!).
It just shows what nonsense these clan maps with their nice blocks of colour for each clan are. The reality for the upper Spey was a mixture of MacPherson's, MacDonald's, MacIntosh's & others, occupying a patchwork of holdings, complicated by tack's & wadsets, not to mention marriages, and changing with each generation. A very interesting document, I've stuck it in my favourites.

Best Wishes,
Johnnie.