Westburn House - history help please

The History and Geography of Auld Scotia

Moderators: Global Moderators, Russell

jaffacakes

Westburn House - history help please

Post by jaffacakes » Sun Dec 06, 2015 4:47 pm

I'm looking for info on Westburn House, Lanarkshire and have very very little to start with.
Any help on where/what i should be checking would be appreciated.

I know "Westburn House was built in 1685 by a branch of the Hamilton family and extended in 1703. It stood east of Clydeford Road on the site of Westburn golf course. It was demolished around 1895"

I have a family living there on the 1851 census with the surname Cranston but they do have some links to the Hamilton line.
I also have two images of the house and general info that's it was rather grand/for aristocrats.
The family I have there in 1851 seems to be medical (bone setter etc) and have servants but don't seem terribly aristocratic.

I'm hoping for info on the line that built the house, names etc so i can see if they tie into my tree.
I know there's a way to check previous census by address but have no idea how, that might be helpful if i could.
All help appreciated,
Many thanks
Last edited by jaffacakes on Sun Dec 06, 2015 7:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jaffacakes

Re: Westburn House - history help please

Post by jaffacakes » Sun Dec 06, 2015 5:12 pm

In the same vein i've found this - but have no real understanding what it means - all help appreciated.
http://www.rps.ac.uk/search.php?a=fcf&f ... 38&t=trans

The relevant portion being -

"Also, of all and entire the just and equal half of the mill of Carmunnock undivided, with the mill-lands, multures and sequels, sucken and pertinents, together with the equal half of the coals and coalheughs undivided within the whole bounds of the said lands and barony of Carmunnock, with the equal half of the whole benefices, profits and commodities of the same, and that as the equal half of the said lands and barony of Carmunnock, which barony extends to a twenty merk land or thereby, sometime pertained to the said Sir Archibald, conforming to a contract of division made and passed between the said Sir Archibald Stewart and Gabriel Hamilton of Westburn, of the date 20 February 1671, and accepted by the said Sir Archibald as his half of the foresaid lands and barony and which lands and barony were made over by William [Douglas] and Anne [Hamilton], duke and duchess of Hamilton to the said deceased Sir Archibald and Gabriel equally between them, conforming to their disposition of the date 17 March 1664, and which lands lie within the lordship of Hamilton and sheriffdom of Lanark; reserving always to Lady Mary Carmichael, widow of the said deceased Sir Archibald, her liferent of all and sundry those parts and portions of the said twenty merk land of Castlemilk, alias Castleton, all the days of her lifetime, to which she is provided by her contract of marriage, and the charter and sasine following thereupon."

WilmaM

Post by WilmaM » Sun Dec 06, 2015 10:51 pm

I take it your family is Loudon Cranston with his son neices ad a servant.
If you look for them on freecen.org.UK you can click next and previous households to see the neighbours.
Not that it seems to help much, a washerwoman at the porters lodge and a farm overseer also at Westburn house.
hole Park is nearby, as is Morristown house, but no gentry in sight as far as I can see.

A look at a map may show where the house was in relation to the addresses on the census.
Wilma

AndrewP
Site Admin

Post by AndrewP » Sun Dec 06, 2015 11:55 pm

Hi jaffacakes,

One such map can be seen here:

http://maps.nls.uk/view/74952523

All the best,

AndrewP

jaffacakes

Post by jaffacakes » Mon Dec 07, 2015 2:58 pm

WilmaM wrote:I take it your family is Loudon Cranston with his son neices ad a servant.
If you look for them on freecen.org.UK you can click next and previous households to see the neighbours.
Not that it seems to help much, a washerwoman at the porters lodge and a farm overseer also at Westburn house.
hole Park is nearby, as is Morristown house, but no gentry in sight as far as I can see.

A look at a map may show where the house was in relation to the addresses on the census.
thanks for responding, i'm new to this and had never heard of freecen.org.UK so that's really appreciated.
i found a report of the house a few years later saying it was going to ruin and it was actually demolished after that so i'm wondering if my family rented from the owner and it was actually in a pretty bad state, not the gentlemans estate it once was :roll:

WilmaM

Post by WilmaM » Mon Dec 07, 2015 5:50 pm

Thanks for the map Andrew, I was on my tablet last night and it doesn't like maps!!

your family in 1841 Census
Piece: SCT1841/636 Place: Crawfordjohn -Lanarkshire Enumeration District: 8
Civil Parish: Crawfordjohn Ecclesiastical Parish, Village or Island: Crawfordjohn
Folio: 8 Page: 5
Address: Abington Village

Surname First name(s) Sex Age Occupation Where Born Remarks
CRANSTON Lowdon M 45 Inn Keeper Lanarkshire
CRANSTON Lilias F 40 Lanarkshire
CRANSTON William M 6 Lanarkshire
THOMSON Helen F 25 Female Servant Outside Census County (1841)
CRANSTON Janet F 15 Female Servant Lanarkshire

and 1851 Census
Piece: SCT1851/627 Place: Cambuslang -Lanarkshire Enumeration District: 2
Civil Parish: Cambuslang Ecclesiastical Parish, Village or Island: -
Folio: 632 Page: 32 Schedule: 127
Address: Westburn House

Surname First name(s) Rel Status Sex Age Occupation Where Born Remarks
CRANSTON Loudon Head W M 50 Bone Setter Lanarkshire - Crawford
CRANSTON William Son U M 16 Student (Glasgow College) Lanarkshire - Crawford
CRANSTON Mary Niece U F 26 Housekeeper Lanarkshire - Crawford
CRANSTON Isabella Niece - F 10 Scholar Lanarkshire - Crawford
RAMAGE Jane Servnt U F 18 Servant Lanarkshire - Crawfordjohn
He has been widowed in the intervening years, and has made quite a leap in occupation from Inn Keeper to Bone Setter. I wonder what the son studied? and where the 2 nieces come into the picture.

I can't find a trace of them on Freecen any further on - Cambuslang is only there for 1841/51 at the moment.

Looking at the overlay maps on NLS http://maps.nls.uk/geo/explore/#zoom=16 ... 0&layers=5 you'll find the grounds of the Westburn House are now the Cambuslang Golf Course, though there is still a Westburn Road and Drive.

This is an interesting site of the area. http://www.edwardboyle.com/EB/cambuslan ... slang.html
One snippet:
The estate of Westburn is the property of John Graham, Esq., of Craigallian, who, not being a resident on the spot, has apparently left it very much for several years to the freedom of its own will...to "hang as it grows." The pleasure grounds, at one period most elegant, are overrun with weeds, while the fine old trees are sadly in lack of a tasteful pruning. The burn is in some places nearly choked with sedges and rushes...
Rambles Round Glasgow, ca. 1850s by Hugh MacDonald
Wilma

speleobat2

Post by speleobat2 » Mon Dec 07, 2015 8:03 pm

Not much help with the house, but here is the family in 1871:

Konder Cranston
in the 1871 Scotland Census

Name:
Konder Cranston
[Loudon Cranston]

Estimated birth year:
abt 1801

Relationship:
Head

Spouse's name :
Janet Cranston

Where born:
Crawford, Lanarkshire

Registration Number:

Registration district:
Cambuslang

Civil Parish:
Cambuslang

County:
Lanarkshire

Address:
Bon House Cottage

Bone Setter

ED:

LINE:

Roll:
CSSCT1871_119

Household Members:

Name

Konder Cranston 70
Janet Cranston 54
Mary L Granger 27
Elizabeth Mccarther 25

Loudon has remarried to Janet and Mary L Granger is his daughter according to the census records. Elizabeth Mccarther is a servant.

Carol :D
Looking for: Clerihew, Longmuir/Longmore, Chalmers, Milne, Barclay in Newhills,
Munro, Cadenhead, Raitt, Ririe/Reary

speleobat2

Post by speleobat2 » Mon Dec 07, 2015 8:15 pm

I think I found William on the 1861 Census. Ancestry has him indexed as Crenstoun or Cranston. He is living with his uncle Alexander in Crawford, Lanarkshire and is a Surgeon.

speleobat2

Post by speleobat2 » Mon Dec 07, 2015 8:23 pm

I just did a search on Ancestry for Westburn House, Lanarkshire and someone has posted a number of things on the Hamilton family of Westburn. They are things like coats of arms, historical markers etc. not documents that I can see. It might pay you to take out a short term subscription and contact the poster who is in Oregon, USA.

Currie

Post by Currie » Tue Dec 08, 2015 7:33 am

Is this any use?

A Visitation of the Seats and Arms of the Noblemen and Gentlemen of Great Britain and Ireland, Volume 2, published 1855. Page 141. https://books.google.com.au/books?id=JC ... C&pg=PA141

Westburn was then owned by J. Graham, Esq. Westburn House is described as deserted for half a Century.

Maybe they were living in another building attached to, or close by, the main house?

In a list of issued Game Certificates in the Glasgow Herald, 4 Nov., 1858, the address for Loudon Cranston is Broomknowe, Cambuslang. An item 1 Mar., 1867, has the same.

Appears to have been in Hamilton Road. See Enumeration District 7, 1881. http://www.edwardboyle.com/EB/cambuslan ... 0names.htm

Janet Granger and Mary Semple Granger were the owners of Broomknowe, Cambuslang, in 1874. (Parliamentary Papers).

Glasgow Herald, Monday, August 10, 1863
DEATHS.
At Crawford, on the 6th instant, Mr. William Cranston, jun., son of Mr. Loudon Cranston, Cambuslang.

Alan