Looking for Muirsons need help pllleeeeassseee.....

The History and Geography of Auld Scotia

Moderators: Global Moderators, Russell

muirson

Looking for Muirsons need help pllleeeeassseee.....

Post by muirson » Mon Feb 27, 2006 5:26 am

Hi all
I am very new to this site but thought I would give it a go. I have recently heard from a cousin that my great great grandfather Francis Alexander Mckenzie Muirson was supposedly born in Kinele Castle.....trouble is I can't find it at all. It is supposed to be in ferintosh Roxburgh????? I found a birth record for Francis Muirson with the right parents and he is said to be born on th 20th March 1819 in Avoch, Ross and Cromarty, Scotland. Does anyone know where this is and is it close to Roxburgh?????? Does anyone know any places that I would be able to search to prove this as fact or fiction. Francis immigrated to Australia at some stage.

If anyone can help I would really appreciate it.
My fathers side come from Cornwall and I found it fairly easy to get info from sites down there so fingers crossed someone can put me on the right track

Thanks
jackie
interested in names muirson Mckenzie

AndrewP
Site Admin

Post by AndrewP » Mon Feb 27, 2006 8:14 am

Good Morning Jackie,

Welcome to TalkingScot.

Ferintosh is in Ross and Cromarty, although you may find it in Nairnshire in some old documents. The "Barony of Ferintosh" was in an exclave of Nairnshire was within Urquhart and Logie Wester parish, Ross and Cromarty.

Roxburgh(shire) is about 200 miles south of there - unless of course there is another Roxburgh.

All the best,

Andrew Paterson

nancy

Post by nancy » Mon Feb 27, 2006 2:10 pm

Hello there Jackie,and welcome to TS.

Just to say I've been to Avoch (pronounced och) and Rosemarkie both neighbouring villages in the Black Isle,which i believe's about 15 miles from Inverness,and what wonderful memories i have of them.
That was back in late 70s,so i suppose like everywhere else,there will be lots of change.
You've just given me itchy feet for going there again :D
Cheers Nancy.

SuMacd

Post by SuMacd » Sun Mar 12, 2006 9:19 pm

Hi Jackie
Just to say I think it could be Kinkell Castle which is in the area of Ferintosh, Ross-shire, not too far from Avoch.
Susan
Seeking Anderson, Ross, Beatttie, Caddell, Grindlay, Bannerman, Dundas, Robertson, Campbell,Rae, Watson,Elliot, Madigan, O'Connell, Connell, Imlah, Stevenson, Smith,McCann, Cairns, Macdonald, Patience amongst others

mardimu

Re: Looking for Muirsons need help pllleeeeassseee.....

Post by mardimu » Wed Dec 23, 2009 12:58 pm

Jackie, I'm hoping I can contact you - found your post today, and would love to find out where you fit into the Australian Muirson tree. I've been researching (off and on) this tree for 10 years since I met my (now) husband, Garth. I'm finding all the descendants, and Garths' branch went to NZ.
Perhaps we could help each other with our finds...
Yours in the cause of family history!

LesleyB

Post by LesleyB » Wed Dec 23, 2009 1:38 pm

Hello mardimu
...and welcome to Talking Scot :D

Seems there were a few others in the family other than Francis who Jackie was looking for....according to IGI, following the marriage of the parents in 1808 at Urquhart And Logie Wester, Ross And Cromarty :
Christian b.1810 (Inverness), Alexander n. 1811, Jane b.1813, Hector b, 1815, Isabella 1817, Francis 1819, all born Avoch apart from Christian. Kenneth b. 1821 and Catherine b.1823 both born Urquhart And Logie Wester.

You can find mention of all these for free at http://www.familysearch.org and if you wished to see all the original entries (of the marriage and the births) in the OPRs you should be able find those on the pay-per-view site at http://www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk - but I expect you know of all this lot already.

Best wishes
Lesley

mardimu

Post by mardimu » Sun May 19, 2013 8:01 am

Only just found this site again! I'd love to connect with collateral relations of Francis Alexander McKenzie Muirson who remained in the U.K.!
Their father Thomas was an architect and improved Erchless Castle (Invernesshire) in 1815. He married Jean/Jane who was from the
McKenzie family of Gairloch.