Moderators: Global Moderators, Russell

IanS

Ayrshire look-up?.....

Post by IanS » Wed Mar 22, 2006 12:14 pm

Do any of our members with interests in Ayrshire :wink: have access to

Auchinleck by
Helen J Steven.
Published in 1898. CD Rom

My interest is Mungo Murdoch, an engine smith, The newest member of my family (10 wks old) has a direct, unbroken, certificated line to Mungo, and the web throws up various sites which say a Mungo Murdoch (correct time frame) was brother to William Murdoch, a great inventor. Mungo was (I think) the son of John Murdoch (another great inventor)and Anna Bruce, but I can find no Parish record entry on S.P. only some '---- Murdoch' which are in the correct time period of 1750-60's

I have already read The Third Man by John Griffiths, but everywhere is sourcing ' Auchinleck by Helen J.Steven'.

I e-mailed the Baird Institute this morning, and await a reply.

I have a little more info which may place Mungo, wife and a couple of weans in London, near to the Albion Mill, at one point. (and the direct line ancestor was born England, but died Auchinleck) . The parish entry for another child of Mungo in London is next on my list of 'to buys'.

All in all, I have a lot of circumstancial evidence, but no proof.

Hence a look-up in the above C.D. would be very much appreciated.

I know I can buy it from the Ayrshire Family History Society, but it would have to go futher down my list of 'to buys ' at the moment. (S.P. has taken most of my genealogy money).

Fingers crossed

MaryB

Post by MaryB » Fri Mar 24, 2006 7:01 am

Most of the FHS I belong to will do a search for non members for a small fee :)
Black Isle - Beaton Bethune Campbell
Inverness - Mackintosh
Aberdeen - Mitchell Leslie
Ireland - Cosgrove McGuire
Southshields - Patterson/Pattieson Campbell Sloan
Greenock - Boyle McPhail Blair McKechnie Clark

LesleyB

Post by LesleyB » Fri Mar 24, 2006 9:52 am

Hi Ian,
Maybe try contacting: Best wishes
Lesley

IanS

Post by IanS » Fri Mar 24, 2006 8:45 pm

Thank you Mary and Lesley for your replies. I will maybe try e-mailing the East Ayrshire F.H.S. at the Dick Institute.

I did get a very prompt and courteous reply from the Baird Institute saying that she could not find the papers mentioned , but did give a couple of suggestions, including buying the C.D. from the above mentioned F.H.S. :lol: Something tells me this is the route I'm going to have to take. In fact, it makes sense if I'm going to work on more than one name in this area. Hopefully I'll find something.

mallog

Post by mallog » Wed Apr 05, 2006 4:20 pm

Try Carnegie Library in Ayr too because they have a lot of material.

IanS

Post by IanS » Thu Apr 06, 2006 11:04 pm

Thanks Mallog, I'll do that

Dalsalloch

Mungo MURDOCH

Post by Dalsalloch » Sat Aug 19, 2006 10:10 am

In the Auchinleck OPR there is an entry dated 28 Nov 1784 for the Baptism of William MURDOCH, the son of Mungo MURDOCH.
The entry also states the Grandfather was John MURDOCH of Bello mill

Alastair

CatrionaL

Post by CatrionaL » Sat Aug 19, 2006 10:23 am

Alastair

May I give you a warm welcome to Talking Scot!

I hope you too will get help in your own research.

Best wishes

Catriona

IanS

Post by IanS » Sat Aug 19, 2006 7:34 pm

Hi Alastair,

The old heart rate went up a bit there!! Thank you very much for that info. It now confirms for me that a Mungo was a son of John of Bello Mill.

I had put this line on hold for a while, (Irish lines had claimed my genealogy money -alongside S.P.) but will now be returning to it with a vengeance.

Can I ask if it is common in the Auchinleck O.P.Rs to have a grandfather named? There also didn't happen to be a mothers name for young William on this entry? (I do have my Mungos wifes name, but it would have been nice for confirmation)) Or is there an an occupation of Engine Smith for Mungo?

If it is my Mungo (and I really think it is) this birth would be before his trip or trips to London. It fits very nicely, another little bit of genealogical jigsaw. If and when I get the final piece, I'll let you know. (any more finds like that one, gratefully accepted).

Thank you once again.

mrsl

Re: Ayrshire look-up?.....

Post by mrsl » Mon Sep 07, 2015 8:16 am

Hello Ian
I cannot help your query and hope that has been resolved by now! I have a very similar issue - an unbroken line to Mungo Murdoch chr 1803, putative nephew to your Mungo. He is also a grandson of John and the evidence strongly supports that the link in my case was via Robert b 1757. This line includes the author of the missing link.
It would be good to exchange info.
Mrsl