LAND MINE

The History and Geography of Auld Scotia

Moderators: Global Moderators, Russell

wini

LAND MINE

Post by wini » Fri Oct 27, 2006 11:13 am

My cousin and family came to stay with us in 1941. I always thought they had lived in Clydebank but he tells me that they lived in DALMARNOCK and their flat was damaged by a landmine
I am pretty dumb when it comes to things military but what would a Land Mine have been doing in Dalmarnock?

wini
Munro, McPhee, Gunn, Reid, McCreadie, Jackson, Cree, McFarland,Gillies,Gebbie,McCallum,Dawson
Glasgow, Durness,Kilmuir via Uig, Logie Easter
Old Monkland

emanday
Global Moderator

Post by emanday » Fri Oct 27, 2006 11:35 am

It wasn't just bombs that the Germans dropped over the UK.

There were also incendiary devices which didn't explode, they just set things on fire. Land mines were dropped as well, the theory being that what the bombs missed would be got later during search and rescue, etc...

Also, amongst out family papers there used to be about half a dozen leaflets that had been dropped exhorting the population to lobby the government to surrender etc...
[b]Mary[/b]
A cat leaves pawprints on your heart
McDonald or MacDonald (some couldn't make up their mind!), Bonner, Crichton, McKillop, Campbell, Cameron, Gitrig (+other spellings), Clark, Sloan, Stewart, McCutcheon, Ireland (the surname)

wini

LAND MINE

Post by wini » Fri Oct 27, 2006 12:06 pm

Thanks for that Mary, I must ask him if he has any family papers from that era. He would have been 9 or 10 then so maybe not, although as the surviving member of his family he would probably have all the papers relating to them

wini
Munro, McPhee, Gunn, Reid, McCreadie, Jackson, Cree, McFarland,Gillies,Gebbie,McCallum,Dawson
Old Monkland

q98

LAND MINE

Post by q98 » Sat Jun 16, 2007 2:50 am

Hi Wini
You were kind enough to respond to a couple of my queries so I now return your kindness.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/scotland/history/s ... ead8.shtml

It would appear that the Luftwaffe were after Dalmarnock Power Station.

Kind regards.
q98
32 00 S 115 45 E

wini

LAND MINE

Post by wini » Sat Jun 23, 2007 8:15 am

Thanks Jim

Went to Freo Markets a couple of Sundays ago.
After 3 weeks away in Perth & Melbourne arrived in Townsvlle to the coldest day ever on record
Wll take me a few days to catch up

win
Old Monkland

Carole7

Re: LAND MINE

Post by Carole7 » Tue Apr 30, 2019 10:26 pm

My 16yr old granddaughter asked me if I was alive during the 2nd world war, I am 80yrs old. She wanted to know what I could remember & did I have to go to a bomb shelter. I told her I only remember a few things, but one memory is very clear. I lived in Woodrop Street right next to the Dalmarnock power station. The bomb shelters were built on the banks of the river Clyde next to the bridge & next to the power station. I said that one evening when taking shelter with my mother 2 men entered the bomb shelter, heads covered in blood & slime. My mother pulled my head down into her lap. It turned out that the 2 ARP men saw what they believed was a parachutist landing and as they ran towards him it was actually a land mine which exploded. I know it must be hard to believe I remember this as I was only a toddler at the time but I can see it to this day.