Rashfield Farm

The History and Geography of Auld Scotia

Moderators: Global Moderators, Russell

SarahND
Site Admin

Post by SarahND » Sun Aug 26, 2007 4:47 pm

Hi Christine,
Welcome to Talking Scot! [talkingscot]
What an interesting saga trying to follow Mary McKillop! I'm sure Don and Anne will be here soon to comment, but I just wanted to welcome you to the forum and thank you for jumping in!
All the best,
Sarah

d.mackechnie

Rashfield Farm

Post by d.mackechnie » Sun Aug 26, 2007 6:24 pm

Thanks Chris, puts it in a bit more order and easier to try and work out, I agree that does look like Peter in the 1891 census, but Mary, were she go I wonder, also had a look on S.P. for her death, nothing, I'm still a little baffled to why Rebekah would call herself McKillop on the marriage cert of Mary McColl. One bit of good news though and an apology to Anne, I discarded the info of Peter's son Donald of having being brought up in South Uist, maybe I thought a bit to much of a romantic story line there with him marrying Marion MacPherson from Benbecula later in life, well I found him in South Uist in the 1901 census, living with his mother, although she had dropped the Mary from Mary Flora and her brother Donald MacPherson, they were living in Ardnamonie, Howmore, Middle South Uist, I again spoke to a relative on the Islands and apparently some time later Donald MacPherson emigrated to Canada, I know Mary Flora died living in a cottage on Benbecula in 1950, dont know at what age Donald MacKechnie moved to Glasgow though, just wondering does S.P. have every record online or is it an ongoing thing with more added as time goes by,there seems to be an awful lot of info missing that should be available.
RESEARCHING MCEACHERN/MACKECHNIE AND VARIANTS-MULL,OBAN.MCKINNON-MULL, MACARTHUR-KILCHATTAN, MACKILLOP-KILMORE & KILBRIDE
MACPHERSON,MACPHEE,MACDONALD,MACMILLAN,MACINNES, MACAULAY,WILSON,ALL BENBECULA .
MACPHERSON, MACPHEE AND CAMPBELL - SOUTH UIST.

AnneM
Global Moderator

Post by AnneM » Sun Aug 26, 2007 10:26 pm

OK. I guess I'm being really stupid here but I can't find the birth of Mary McColl by any name whatsoever. Do either of you Don or Christine have it?

I see the 1901 census and agree that it might well be them but Flora's age is off and Donald is stated to be born in South Uist when he was born in Dunoon.

So that makes Mary junior the half sister of Peter. Got it I think!

This story gets more confusing by the minute.

Anne
Anne
Researching M(a)cKenzie, McCammond, McLachlan, Kerr, Assur, Renton, Redpath, Ferguson, Shedden, Also Oswald, Le/assels/Lascelles, Bonning just for starters

Christrina

Post by Christrina » Sun Aug 26, 2007 10:50 pm

Don, on Mary McColl marriage to Donald McDougall. Parents being William McColl and Mary McColl (Ms McKillop) wittness's where John McIntyre and Rebekah Stirling (Not McKillop) ...

Anne, I also have not been able to find a birth record for Mary McColl, on marriage record it states she is 18 and in the the 1861 Census aged abt 1 Mary McColl and on the 1871 census aged abt 11 and under the name Mary McEachnie and living with mother Mary and Donald with other children which are the half brothers and sisters of Mary McColl... So this is how I have come birth age as being abt 1858.

I also think that SP is still adding records as Don say's there seems to be a lot missing. But also back then a lot of people never registered these things. Just in family bibles and churches. So perhaps SP do have all online but I am leaning more towards that they are still entering stuff.

Christine
Researching: Frater, McKillop, Davies, Gurr,Card, Glover, Williams, Flook, McColl, Hay, Rapley...

Christrina

Sarah

Post by Christrina » Sun Aug 26, 2007 10:59 pm

Sarah,

Thank you so much for the very warm welcome :) pleased to be here. I have been following Don's research for a little while and while we had both been researching the same family of McKillop for a while I only meet up with Don a few months back. So the ride just gets better and better all the time.

Chris
Researching: Frater, McKillop, Davies, Gurr,Card, Glover, Williams, Flook, McColl, Hay, Rapley...

d.mackechnie

Rashfield Farm

Post by d.mackechnie » Mon Aug 27, 2007 12:11 am

Hi Chris and Anne, thanks for putting me right Chris, starting to see things I'm that confused.
Anne like Chris I have never found a birth for wee Mary either, nor a death for that matter yet, in the case of Donald in South Uist, I phoned my aunt in the Islands, apparently Mary Flora had sisters named Mary and Flora, now thats confusing, so there could just of been a mix up with the names I suppose, with it saying Donald being born in South Uist, I cant explain that so I will post a message on roots hebrides and email a 4th cousin of mine who is pretty intimate with the knowledge of the Islands and its people, sorry your getting confused Anne.
RESEARCHING MCEACHERN/MACKECHNIE AND VARIANTS-MULL,OBAN.MCKINNON-MULL, MACARTHUR-KILCHATTAN, MACKILLOP-KILMORE & KILBRIDE
MACPHERSON,MACPHEE,MACDONALD,MACMILLAN,MACINNES, MACAULAY,WILSON,ALL BENBECULA .
MACPHERSON, MACPHEE AND CAMPBELL - SOUTH UIST.

AnneM
Global Moderator

Post by AnneM » Mon Aug 27, 2007 6:42 pm

As far as I know SP has all the OPRs from the established church and the statutory records online so anything that was registered should be on there. I even trawled through every Mary born 1858 to 1859 on the IGI in Argyll and no hopeful ones sprung out at me. She is definitely a mystery.

It seems to me likely that the Flora MacPherson on the census is Mary Flora's sister if she had one born 1861-ish of that name. Donald on the other hand may well be your Donald with a slip of the pen on the birthplace. I guess Mary Flora was probably off working somewhere to keep herself and probably wee Donald.

Yup that's Auntie Flora and not Mum on the census. She was born on 28 April 1860 in South Uist, which makes her the right age. I would also put money on Mary Flora using a version of McEachren/McKechnie rather than MacPherson.

Anne
Anne
Researching M(a)cKenzie, McCammond, McLachlan, Kerr, Assur, Renton, Redpath, Ferguson, Shedden, Also Oswald, Le/assels/Lascelles, Bonning just for starters

AnneM
Global Moderator

Post by AnneM » Mon Aug 27, 2007 7:25 pm

Hi again

Mary McCall or McDougall died on 1st June 1887 in Glasgow of pthisis. Her grieving widower remarried a Bella Watson in 1890. So Christina you are right that that is Peter McKechnie.

Donald was the informant of his wife's death and he gives her parents as John McCall Labourer deceased and Mary McCall m.s. McKillop deceased. This information may well be inaccurate.

Not sure that it takes us much further except to dispose of poor Mary at an unseasonably young age. She is given as aged 28 which gives a birth date of 1858 or 1859 or so. I'm tending towards 1859 as she is stated to be 1 on the 1861 census. I suppose it's possible that her mother never got around to registering her. I've looked under McColl/McCall/ McKillop/Stirling and McKechnie and variants. Maybe one of the real records wizards will come up with the goods for the struggling muggles.

Anne
Anne

AnneM
Global Moderator

Post by AnneM » Mon Aug 27, 2007 7:49 pm

On the subject of Rebecca, in 1881 she is in Bothwell in Lanarkshire, a visitor in the house of Ann McDonald aged 44 an annuitant.

She seems to get married in 1886 to a Robert Templeton giving her parents as William Stirling farmer (deceased) and Mary m.s Killop (deceased). She gives her age as 27 :roll: :roll:

On the subsequent census her ages are slightly more accurate. However it seems that she dies aged 77!! on 12th June 1936 in Glasgow and her parents are given as William Stirling and Mary McKillop both deceased.

Anne
Anne

Christrina

Post by Christrina » Mon Aug 27, 2007 8:36 pm

Wonderful, Anne...

I thought that Mary may of been the mother to the three children on the 1901 census, yesterday I found the birth of Donald (20 Jan 1882) I have not found the birth for Rebecca as yet but I am sure now that she will also be the daughter of Mary. I didnt even think to look under McCall for her death, I am so pleased you did Anne. Poor Mary I am guessing really didn't have much of a life and a very short one at that. So many died so young back then. I am off to try and find the birth of young Rebecca.

Thank you so much Anne

Christine