JAMES @ EDMUND.....

Looking for Scottish Ancestors

Moderator: Global Moderators

jennovo

Post by jennovo » Wed Mar 01, 2006 12:43 pm

Thank you Andy and once again, you also Jack.
My husband (James Campbell Overend IV, son is now V) thought his family went back to Ireland so I presume these are his. Mary Ann obviously had relatives in Scotland - as per those listed in the census who were born Edinburgh. I wonder why the family ended up in Ireland? Some advice please - Would you add them to your tree or wait for more information?
Jen
REID, FAIRGREIVE, RANKIN, HOGG, NIMMO, PORTEOUS, LOVE, SOMMERVILLE, DOUGLAS, OVEREND, CAMPBELL, WALLACE.

Jack

1881 - original page

Post by Jack » Wed Mar 01, 2006 11:06 pm

Hi Andrew,
I'd a look at the original 1881 page and i'm 99% sure the enumerator did write OVEREND.
Though saying that, at a glance i'd have though it was NEREND,
and unless it was known that it might be Overend, it's not surprising that the transcriber wrote Nerend.
There were only a few capital 'N's to compare, and these differed from the 1st letter(s) of "Nerend"
The 'O' wasn't a complete circle (think of a clock face with 10 to 3 missing), and it was joined up to the 'verend',
making it just look like a fancy 'N' to start the name.
--
Jen, who is it you're not too sure of adding to your tree?
--
Jack

jennovo

Post by jennovo » Thu Mar 02, 2006 10:54 am

Thank you Jack,
I was still unsure about the names (I had a mix up with Hoggs marrying Reids, Reids marrying Hoggs, and so on and so on......) when there are other Overend families in Lanark. Your confirmation of the 'Overend' name in the 1881 census has been wonderful.
Thank you all once again.
Jen.
REID, FAIRGREIVE, RANKIN, HOGG, NIMMO, PORTEOUS, LOVE, SOMMERVILLE, DOUGLAS, OVEREND, CAMPBELL, WALLACE.

Soniakirschen

Re: JAMES @ EDMUND.....

Post by Soniakirschen » Sun Jan 07, 2018 5:07 am

Edmund Overend is my great grandfather married to Ann Hodge . My grandmother is georgina Overend. Then my great aunt is Euphemia Euphemia Vannan Overend (Cowan). My mother is Georgina Overend Fern . I have some of my relatives here in Canada.