Hutton Dairy Lanark Rd Slateford

Looking for Scottish Ancestors

Moderator: Global Moderators

Mark Crawford

Hutton Dairy Lanark Rd Slateford

Post by Mark Crawford » Sat May 23, 2020 12:22 am

Hello, I am looking for any information or pictures of the Hutton Buildings that formed the Hutton Dairy farm at 1-5 Lanark Rd in Slateford. My grandparents worked and lived on the farm for many years at the turn of the century. John Hutton had a daughter named Daisy who later married a man named Edgar. My families name was Crawford and lived there until 1937. My grandmother was listed on the census as being a Dairymaid.

Do anyone have any information on this place that is long gone?

AndrewP
Site Admin

Re: Hutton Dairy Lanark Rd Slateford

Post by AndrewP » Sat May 23, 2020 4:47 pm

Hi Mark,

The building including 1-5 Lanark Road can be seen just above the centre of this 1940s map.

https://maps.nls.uk/view/102732770

This is a couple of miles from where I was raised, but not an area I was commonly in. My first memories of there are from the mid to late 1970s, by which time that building had been gone a while.

A picture of the building can be seen on the following webpage. The caption of the picture is "Photo looking north toward the canal bridge. date unknown." The building you describe is the tall building on the right. At the end of the building, out of sight is Craiglockhart Avenue leading up the hill. Beyond that is the Union Canal aqueduct "Bonnie Prince Charlie Bridge" which was replaced in 1937 with the concrete bridge that stands there now, allowing for a much greater road width.

http://www.longstonecc.org.uk/index.asp?pageid=295178

All the best,

Andrew P.

Mark Crawford

Post by Mark Crawford » Sat May 23, 2020 6:58 pm

Thanks Andrew this has been a great help. It was not what I imagined but when reality sinks in it makes sense. Thanks again for you help.

kitkat27

Post by kitkat27 » Sat May 23, 2020 8:52 pm

Hi Mark
Don't know if this is of any help to you but there's a
Hutton, John, dairyman, 24 Hanover street house, Craiglockhart dairy, Slateford
Listed in the 1904-05 Edinburgh Post Office Directory in the NLS online library.

You may already have this info or he may not be related to any of yours but I'm posting it on the off chance it is of use to you.

KT

Mark Crawford

Post by Mark Crawford » Sun May 24, 2020 12:28 pm

Thanks KT. I did not have this as I was looking at the period 1910 - 1940. However this is very interesting as it may shed light on prior to Lanark Rd Dairy. At least give me a timeline on when it start. Thanks again