Helen Cheyne born Kintore 1886 ** birthday bumped post **

Looking for Scottish Ancestors

Moderator: Global Moderators

LesleyB

Post by LesleyB » Tue Oct 07, 2008 4:51 pm

I think they are different places....
If you go to www.old-maps.co.uk and put Kintore in the 'search' box, there is only the one choice. The map that comes up is an 1869 map but for a clearer view choose the 1901 map. (co ords 378500, 816300) Hill of Kintore can be seen to the left of the capital K of Kintore.

imlincs

Post by imlincs » Tue Oct 07, 2008 6:10 pm

Hello Lesley

I must admit I could make Cottown out of the hieroglyphic with not too much imagination (although clearly more than I had already applied!).

The 1901 map is the one I was already using and indeed there is a North and a South Cottown on it so perhaps it's back to the census to see who was there in 1881.

Thanks for your help.

Ian
+++

Susan

Post by Susan » Tue Oct 07, 2008 8:08 pm

Ian

Having looked at the cert you put up and comparing it with others I've seen like that I would say that St John's Wells, Fyvie is James' address not Christina's.

Not sure if this is going to help us much at the moment but makes things a little clearer about who might have been where and when.

In your info about the letter from Margaret Kennedy, if she was your mother's cousin and refers her mother, then Helen had a sister/half-sister ?

Susan.

AnneM
Global Moderator

Post by AnneM » Tue Oct 07, 2008 11:24 pm

Hi again

I am increasingly drawn to a Christina Simpson who was born in Auchterless around 1851 to 1853 and who is in Grange, Banffshire in 1881 visiting her sister Elizabeth Craib and family. Auchterless is not that far from Fyvie. Auchterless is also the birth place of Margaret Simpson/Ramsay.

Again I have no real evidence to support this but it is just a possibility.

BTW William Ramsay was the son of Barbara Ramsay who promptly headed off for Aberdeen following his birth but she was a respectable 20 when he was born.

Anne
Anne
Researching M(a)cKenzie, McCammond, McLachlan, Kerr, Assur, Renton, Redpath, Ferguson, Shedden, Also Oswald, Le/assels/Lascelles, Bonning just for starters

LesleyB

Post by LesleyB » Wed Oct 08, 2008 9:06 am

Hi Ian
...must admit I could make Cottown out of the hieroglyphic with not too much imagination
As the writing in that area is quite difficult to read due to the image being very faint in places, it might be worth getting in touch with SP using their "Contact Us" option at the bottom of their web pages, to ask if a clearer copy could perhaps be supplied. They are usually very helpful with this sort of enquiry and then, if a clearer copy is sent, we might know for definite if it is indeed Cottown.

I know we sometimes have to settle for "might be" in family history, but if we could turn that one into a "definately says" that would be a better outcome! :D

Best wishes
Lesley

imlincs

Post by imlincs » Wed Oct 08, 2008 10:03 am

Hello Lesley

I have tried that and am awaiting a response.

Regards,

Ian
+++

SarahND
Site Admin

Post by SarahND » Wed Oct 08, 2008 10:36 am

Hi all,
I, too, wasn't happy about the accepted Christina--sorry, Ian! :D

Following from Anne's thought, the choice seems to be between two Christinas born in Auchterless: One born in 1851 and the other in 1853. They are cousins, the daughters of John and James, who were born in Forgue, Aberdeenshire, parents John Simpson and Helen Simpson--so Simpsons on both sides to trace :shock:

Christina #1:
Therney, Auchterless, Aberdeenshire
John Simpson, 46, Head, born Forgue, Aberdeenshire, Carpenter
Jane Simpson, 45, Wife, born Auchterless, Aberdeenshire
William Simpson, 24, born Auchterless, Aberdeenshire, Carpenter
Helen Simpson, 15, Daughter, born Auchterless, Aberdeenshire, Domestic Servant
Jane Simpson, 13, Daughter, born Auchterless, Aberdeenshire, Scholar
Christian Simpson, 10, Daughter, born Auchterless, Aberdeenshire, Scholar
Mary Simpson, 7, Daughter, born Auchterless, Aberdeenshire, Scholar
Alexander Simpson, 4, Son, born Auchterless, Aberdeenshire
George Simpson, 44, Brother, born Forgue, Aberdeenshire, Carpenter

Christina #2
South Porter Lodge of Corsindae, Midmar, Aberdeenshire
James Simpson, 37, Head, born Forgue, Aberdeenshire, Crofter of 8 Acres
Elizabeth Simpson, 37, Wife, born Auchterless, Aberdeenshire, Wright's Wife
Theodore Simpson, 14, Son, born Auchterless, Aberdeenshire, Wright's Son
James Simpson, 10, Son, born Auchterless, Aberdeenshire
Christian Simpson, 8, Daughter, born Auchterless, Aberdeenshire, Scholar
Betty Simpson, 2, Daughter, born Midmar, Aberdeenshire
John Simpson, 1, Son, born Midmar, Aberdeenshire
Margaret Leslie, 18, Servant, born Midmar, Aberdeeshire, General Servant

The Christina in the Craib household is most likely Christina #1, since she had a sister Elizabeth of the correct age (she shows up in 1851 age 8 ). Christina #2 also had a sister Elizabeth (Betty), but she wasn't born until abt 1859.

Well, that's a few more to throw in the pot!

All the best,
Sarah

Currie

Post by Currie » Wed Oct 08, 2008 11:49 am

Hello all,

By what I could see in the 19th Century newspapers it looks like an alternative spelling for Cottown is Cotton. I found references to South and North Cotton and people who appeared to be the same living at both Cotton and Cottown. e.g.

The Aberdeen Journal, Wednesday, December 28, 1859
…. called at the house of James Spence, Cottown of Kintore, ………

The Aberdeen Journal, Wednesday, July 7, 1852
…. in the garden of Mr James Spence, Cotton of Kintore ………

Alan

AnneM
Global Moderator

Post by AnneM » Wed Oct 08, 2008 6:33 pm

Hi again

Christina 1 gets married on 2nd June 1888 to William Cooper. Funnily enough her brother William gets married on the same day.

If she is the right Christina that would account for her not being found on the 1891 census.

BTW I guess you are sure that the Nellie Cheyne who marries in London is the one born in Kintore.

Anne
Anne
Researching M(a)cKenzie, McCammond, McLachlan, Kerr, Assur, Renton, Redpath, Ferguson, Shedden, Also Oswald, Le/assels/Lascelles, Bonning just for starters

AnneM
Global Moderator

Post by AnneM » Wed Oct 08, 2008 6:42 pm

In 1901 Nellie Cheyne born in Kintore is 14 and working as farm servant in Auchterless. The Auchterless connection just keeps growing stronger.

Sorry. Did not spot that you had already posted that information.

Pardon my nosiness but how did a farm servant from Auchterless get to London?

Anne
Anne