Helen Cheyne born Kintore 1886 ** birthday bumped post **

Looking for Scottish Ancestors

Moderator: Global Moderators

imlincs

Post by imlincs » Sun Oct 12, 2008 10:57 pm

My last post looked less than appreciative (of everyone other than Andrew!).

I need a little time to assimilate all this extra info and I'm really grateful for all this input.

As I posted earlier (and despite Anne's
and asking someone from Aberdeenshire if they have relatives in Aberdeen is a bit like asking a West Coast Scot if they have relatives in Canada so I'm not sure Aunt Maggie takes us very far.
) I think it may be possible to get a little further if I can track back the British Columbia connection, which I haven't even started on yet!

I sense a busy week coming on!

Thanks to all of you.

Ian
+++

Susan

Post by Susan » Mon Oct 13, 2008 12:30 am

I also came across this Christina earlier today and have noted down a lot of info which looks promising but internet connection has been playing up so gonna wait and post more detail tomorrow.
If this were the right Christina she had 3 daughters, Helen 1886, Jane or Jeannie 1889 and Thiza 1894. Thirza lives to the age of 72 dying in 1966 in Aberdeen and appears to be single, though that does not rule out her having had a daughter who could be Margaret Kennedy. Jane/Jeannie marries David Brown in 1914, Banchory Ternan, Kincardineshire, and dies in 1932 at only 42 years old, in Birse, Aberdeenshire. Perhaps she had a daughter Margaret who went on to be Margaret Kennedy.
Christina's half-sister Margaret born 1877 in Aberdeen, lives to the age of 92 dying in Aboyne, Aberdeenshire in 1970, seemingly single. I was born and lived in Aberdeen for 40 years before moving to Montrose a few years ago, and the term "missus" is used verbally quite often for both married and single women - so it may well be the case that aunt Maggie could be either a miss or a mrs.
However keep getting disconnected here so gonna post more tomrrow.

Susan.

SarahND
Site Admin

Post by SarahND » Mon Oct 13, 2008 8:29 am

Look forward to seeing what you have found, Susan!

As I said, my online time is very limited for the next few days...

Regards,
Sarah

nelmit

Post by nelmit » Mon Oct 13, 2008 9:26 am

In 1901 there is a lady called Jane Cruickshank Simpson, boarding with Christina Simpson/McCurrach, who was born at Wartle, Aberdeen.

You can view it hereon multimap then look about 3 miles north.

Regards,
Annette

Susan

Post by Susan » Mon Oct 13, 2008 10:09 am

Checked into that lady yesterday and seems a mistranscription - should be Jane Cruickshank Simpson aged 11, the daughter Jane/Jeannie born in 1889 to Christina Simpson and is seen on 1891 census with Christina at Culsalmond.

Susan.

nelmit

Post by nelmit » Mon Oct 13, 2008 10:27 am

Susan wrote:Checked into that lady yesterday and seems a mistranscription - should be Jane Cruickshank Simpson aged 11, the daughter Jane/Jeannie born in 1889 to Christina Simpson and is seen on 1891 census with Christina at Culsalmond.

Susan.
Even better! It puts Christina in the right area.

regards,
Annette

imlincs

Post by imlincs » Mon Oct 13, 2008 1:55 pm

Hello

I've now posted a new topic under Scots Abroad The Americas

Margaret Kennedy, New Westminster

to see if I can get a new angle on Aunt Maggie.

For future reference can anyone tell me how to post the above with a hyperlink to the other topic.

Thanks

Ian
+++

SarahND
Site Admin

Post by SarahND » Mon Oct 13, 2008 2:04 pm

imlincs wrote: For future reference can anyone tell me how to post the above with a hyperlink to the other topic.
Hi Ian,
The easiest thing to do is just copy the address from the top of your browser, and paste it in. The link below will take people to your new post:

http://talkingscot.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=12515

Regards,
Sarah

imlincs

Post by imlincs » Mon Oct 13, 2008 2:07 pm

Hello again

Would it interest/help anyone if I posted a couple of photos?

I have a photo identified as Helen Cheyne's grandfather said to be from "around 1890" and taken professionally (I suppose they all were at that time) in Aberdeen by CW McPherson of Donald's Court, 115 Union St. It doesn't say whether paternal or maternal but the latter seems hot favourite.

The other photo is a group photo of 5 people, one of whom is Aunt Maggie. It appears to be late 1920s/early 30s.

Ian
+++

SarahND
Site Admin

Post by SarahND » Mon Oct 13, 2008 2:14 pm

Hi Ian,
I'm sure we'd all be interested, after searching for these people so long! One ends up taking a personal interest :lol: And if we find her on a ship's manifest, a personal description is sometimes given (e.g. brown hair, blue eyes, tatoo on left arm) and that might help us... :!: But probably would mostly just be interesting :D

Regards,
Sarah