Missing death James Boyd 1901 - 1954.....

Looking for Scottish Ancestors

Moderator: Global Moderators

ellenavon

Missing death James Boyd 1901 - 1954.....

Post by ellenavon » Sun Jul 17, 2005 9:27 pm

I'm really banging my head on the wall with this one ](*,) , and would be grateful if anyone can spot something I'm missing.

JAMES BOYD (my gg grandfather) was born James Mackie, illegitimate son of Alexander Boyd and Barbara Mackie on 13.10.1861 @ Mains of Nugget, King Edward, Aberdeenshire.

He married Jane Petrie (illegitimate daughter of John Petrie and Jane Packman) on 27.05.1882 @ Boyndie, Banffshire.

They had a number of children, and in 1891 were in Keith with 4 of them.

In 1901 James was a boarder @ Grange, nr Keith working as a cattleman.
I think some of the younger children had by then been farmed out as I think wife Jane was ill by then. eg Christina age 8 in Aberlour Orphanage.

Jane died in 1936 @ Royal Mental Hospital, Aberdeen notified by a member of staff. Says married to James Boyd, not widow of - but I have learned the hard way not to accept that! Her usual residence is noted as Parish of King Edward.

He is apparently alive on childrens marraige certs up to 1912.

However - I can not find his death in Banffshire, Aberdeenshire or Morayshire where most of his children settled.

I've check most of the ones on SP for the right age in further afield counties, and am now at my wits end - or else not seeing the wood for the trees!

Can anyone see what I'm missing???

Regards

Ellen.
Researching: Grant; MacIntosh; Wright; Parley; Souter; Jaffray; Sangster; all North East & Speyside and Sutherland, Glasgow then Sutherland County; Buchanan, Stirlingshire; Lamond, North East; Stronach, Morayshire to name but a few!

Alison Plenderleith

Post by Alison Plenderleith » Mon Jul 18, 2005 10:25 am

Hi Ellen,

You stated he was alive on childrens marriage certs up to 1912. Are there any certs after 1912 which say he's deceased?
If not, I know it seems very unlikely but not impossible for him to be alive after 1954.

Regards,

Alison

ellenavon

Post by ellenavon » Thu Jul 21, 2005 11:01 pm

HI Alison

I have no evidence of him having died before his wife in 1936, so you are right, it is possible he may have lived post 1954 - I'd be most impressed!

I'm going to have to get in touch with some of my aunts and uncles and see if any of them remember him.

Cheers

Ellen.
Researching: Grant; MacIntosh; Wright; Parley; Souter; Jaffray; Sangster; all North East & Speyside and Sutherland, Glasgow then Sutherland County; Buchanan, Stirlingshire; Lamond, North East; Stronach, Morayshire to name but a few!

Flo

James Boyd

Post by Flo » Fri Sep 02, 2005 9:46 pm

Hi Ellen
Thought you might be interested to know that James Boyd is my gg grandfather too! I was wondering if you have had any luck in finding his death cert, I was looking only last night and found it quite frustrating not to be able to find anything. It was sheer chance that i found your message, i hit the wrong button and got taken to a different page, where your message was!
I would be grateful if you could share any info you might have!
Hope to hear from you soon, Flo

ellenavon

Post by ellenavon » Fri Sep 02, 2005 11:23 pm

Hello Flo - how exciting!

I have loads of info on James and family (got his paternal line back another 3 generations) - but I still can not find his **** death cert!

I'm guessing he must have gone to live with one of his children when Jane died, but goodness knows where.

Which line are you descended from?

My great grandmother was Margaret Fiddes Boyd, James and Jane's daughter, born 1887 at Rathven. She married James William Green at Keith in 1908. My grannie, Annie Bella Green was born 1913, and married my grandad Andrew Johnston Wright in 1929 :shock:

This is my mum's line.

Children of James Boyd and Jane Petrie/Packman I have so far as:

Alexander born 1884
Helen 1886
Margaret Fiddes 1887
Jemima 1890
Christina 1892

Looking forward to hearing from you.

Ellen.

Flo

James Boyd

Post by Flo » Sat Sep 03, 2005 10:31 pm

Hi Ellen
Thanks for getting back to me so soon, I've been itching to get on the computer all day to see if you'd been in touch!

I'm descended from Jemima. She married my g grandad, William Shand in 1912, and my grandad, also William, was born a year later.

I was very interested to read that Christina was in Aberlour orphanage as my mum told me a while ago that she remembers her gran (Jemima) talking about growing up there. I didnt know of a way to find out about it though.

You did better than I did anyway, couldnt even find James on the 1901 census! I think my searching leaves a lot to be desired! And as for his father, I have absolutely nothing!

I have the same children, but also another possibility. When my mum spoke to my grandad, he seemed to recall another brother called Jimmy, who possibly died in WW1, but again I've not followed this up. There is a possibility that this is not quite right, after all my grandad is 92, so he can be forgiven if his memory is not what it used to be!!
Hope to hear from you soon
Fiona :D

ellenavon

Post by ellenavon » Sun Sep 04, 2005 12:19 am

Hi again Fiona

I'll send you a personal message with my e mail address. If you send me yours, I'll send on the info I have and copies of the images from SP.

How brilliant that you still have your grandad to talk to - no matter if his memory is failing. The family are all pretty long lived. My great granny and my granny both lived to nearly 90 too.

I'm going to go off and look for Jimmy now. It makes sense that there would be a James in the family. I'll get back to you by e mail hopefully.

Cheers

Ellen.

ellenavon

Post by ellenavon » Sun Sep 04, 2005 12:35 am

Fiona

Tell your lovely grandad that he's a star - and hasn't lost his marbles yet!

James Boyd jnr was born 30 September 1882 at Lintmill, Parish of Boyndie.

And there's a death record which is almost certainly his in the Service and War Returns on SP. James Boyd, age 34 in 1918. (Age a year or so out, but pretty likely to be his).

I'll have a look on the commonwealth graves site in the morning and see if I can find anything.

I'll send you the birth image with the rest when I have your e mail address.

Regards

Ellen.

pinkshoes

Post by pinkshoes » Sun Sep 04, 2005 9:28 pm

Hi you guys

Sorry for butting in but I had to say I think this is lovely thread - brilliant example of TS putting people in touch not only with their departed rellies (don't know if that's quite right) :lol: , but also with those alive and well!! More power to all on this superb site.

Hope the sun's shining where you are.
Pink Shoes

elna

Re: Missing death James Boyd 1901 - 1954.....

Post by elna » Fri Jul 12, 2013 2:26 pm

Hello,

I noticed your family line dates back to an Alexander Boyd born circa 1800 in Rathven son of Alexander Boyd and Isabella Innes. I have traced my family back to an Alexander Boyd born 1800 in Rathven son of Samuel Boyd and Isobel Innes. Could this be coincidence or have records become mixed up over the last 200 years?

Regards

Elna