WORKMAN & ROSS FAMILIES PROBABLY OF WEST KILBRIDE

Looking for Scottish Ancestors

Moderator: Global Moderators

q98

Post by q98 » Tue Aug 18, 2009 10:45 am

I seek additional data regarding the following individuals:

WORKMAN, Hugh (b. ?? ??? 1794, location unknown d. 04 Mar 1869, location unknown)
married 28 May 1815, West Kilbride
SHAW, Catherine (b. ?? ??? 1794, location unknown d. 19 Feb 1874, location unknown)
KNOWN CHILDREN:
WORKMAN, Janet (b. 30 Jul 1823, location unknown d. 22 Aug 1897, location unknown)
married 23 Jul 1844, West Kilbride
ROSS, William (b. 20 Apr 1819, location unknown d. 30 May 1893, location unknown)

Any assistance greatly appreciated.

Jim McCreadie
Fremantle
Western Australia
q98
32 00 S 115 45 E

LesleyB

Post by LesleyB » Tue Aug 18, 2009 12:25 pm

hi Jim
With regard to some of the deaths - do you think these occurred in Scotland? Where have you looked already for them? Is there no sign on ScotlandsPeople? Where did you find the exact dates you have listed for the deaths?

e.g. Using the search on Scotlands People there is a Hugh Workman listed as having died in 1869 - is this not your man?
And there is a Catherine Shaw/Workman death also in the year you gave. The above two documents would give you much useful information if you think they are the correct people. You can download them directly from Scotlands People. It costs nothing to search to see if there are any likely matches (which there are!) You only pay for results or to download.

Have you checked any of the census years? The census data is all availbale on SP, Ancestry (transcriptions only, possibly free access at your local library), and some years are on Freecen. http://www.freecen.org.uk/
That would also fill in some information for you.

best wishes
Lesley

nelmit

Post by nelmit » Tue Aug 18, 2009 1:59 pm

LesleyB wrote:hi Jim
With regard to some of the deaths - do you think these occurred in Scotland? Where have you looked already for them? Is there no sign on ScotlandsPeople? Where did you find the exact dates you have listed for the deaths?

e.g. Using the search on Scotlands People there is a Hugh Workman listed as having died in 1869 - is this not your man?
And there is a Catherine Shaw/Workman death also in the year you gave. The above two documents would give you much useful information if you think they are the correct people. You can download them directly from Scotlands People. It costs nothing to search to see if there are any likely matches (which there are!) You only pay for results or to download.

Have you checked any of the census years? The census data is all availbale on SP, Ancestry (transcriptions only, possibly free access at your local library), and some years are on Freecen. http://www.freecen.org.uk/
That would also fill in some information for you.

best wishes
Lesley
Like lesley said a look at the death entries should give you more inf. Meanwhile here they are in 1851 from FREECEN -

Piece: SCT1851/620 Place: West Kilbride -Ayrshire Enumeration District: 5
Civil Parish: West Kilbride Ecclesiastical Parish, Village or Island: West Kilbride
Folio: 0 Page: 27 Schedule: 92
Address: Main Street

Surname First name(s) Rel Status Sex Age Occupation Where Born Remarks
WORKMAN Hugh Head M M 57 Butcher Ayrshire - West Kilbride
WORKMAN Catherine Wife M F 56 Midwife Ayrshire - Stevenston
WORKMAN Mary Grndau - F 13 At Sewing School Ayrshire - West Kilbride
ROSS Hugh Wm Grnson - M 2 Lanarkshire - Glasgow

and the Ross family in 1861 -

William Ross 40 b Lanark, Lanarkshire
Janet Ross 38
Robert Ross 14
Hugh Ross 12
James Ross 5

Wee James was born in 1855 so that entry could be worth a look.

Regards,
Annette

q98

Post by q98 » Wed Aug 19, 2009 10:36 pm

Thank you ladies :D . It gives me a little more to work with.

Jim
q98
32 00 S 115 45 E

The VietnamBear

Re: WORKMAN & ROSS FAMILIES PROBABLY OF WEST KILBRIDE

Post by The VietnamBear » Mon Apr 06, 2020 4:02 pm

Hello Jim,
My name is William Ross, the William Ross in your thread is a relation of mine and also Hugh Workman.

I visited a Lodge Royal Arch No. 314 Scottish Constitution, Hugh WORKMAN was MASTER IN 1834 to 36 and again later, there is a James Workman and an Archie Workman also masters of the Lodge.

My Father was called Hugh Workman Ross.

q98929

Re: WORKMAN & ROSS FAMILIES PROBABLY OF WEST KILBRIDE

Post by q98929 » Sun Jul 05, 2020 6:28 pm

Hi VietnamBear

Apologies for late response but I have not been monitoring this topic for some time now. As it’s 12:55AM here in Western Australia, I have not consulted my genealogy notes to verify the following:

On 11 Jul 1923, at Saltcoats, Ayrshire, Jessie Baird WORKMAN (b. 19 Feb 1887 d. early Feb 1957, Saltcoats) married my great-uncle Master James McCREADIE, Merchant Navy, (b. Aug 02, 1889, Bridgend, Ayrshire d. lost at sea Feb 27, 1941, English Channel). Their daughter was Mary Elizabeth (Molly) McCREADIE (b. 28 Sep 1924, Saltcoats d. 31 Jan 1992, Norfolk, VA, USA).

Other WORKMAN individuals noted include:
Robert Spier/Speir (?) WORKMAN, a water-colour artist, Gas Retort Setter (?) and Inventor.
Archibald and Lilias (ms PATTISON) WORKMAN, both born West Kilbride, Ayrshire, circa 1822 and 1824 respectively and married there 13 Dec 1834.

Robert Spier WORKMAN of Saltcoats and Margaret Baird (ms Campbell) WORKMAN; Known Issue: Archibald WORKMAN (d. 21 Jan 1914, Heilbron, Orange Free State, South Africa. Age 29 Years, Occupation Telegraphist), his wife Annie (ms McEWAN) and son Robert (b. 26 Mar 1911) who both returned to Saltcoats following Archibald’s death.

Jim
Fremantle
WA
q98929
Fremantle
Western Australia