Philip LOCHIEL

Looking for Scottish Ancestors

Moderator: Global Moderators

karenmcc

Philip LOCHIEL

Post by karenmcc » Fri Sep 04, 2009 1:52 am

Hi All,

Some of you may remember me searching for this family a few years ago on the old SP board. I'm still trying to find anything I can on where my gggggrandfather Philip LOCHIEL came from, or a connection to any of the other LOCHIELS. I don't hold out much hope, but just thought I would put it back out here as there are a lot of new people searching, and more data bases available. This could be a long post as I don"t want anyone looking for info I have.

Philip LOCHIEL married Mary McKINLAY c1804 have Mary on all census from 1841 up till death in 1874, she was b ireland, Philip was not on 1841 census, or any after, so was probably dead by then. In 1841 the family was in Rutherglen, Mary was Independant and she had John, Mary, James, Christina and Elizabeth at home with her.

Neil LOCHIEL(bc 1805) m Susannah McCARN (lots of different spellings for last name) in Barony 1841. Have him in all census up till death in 1864. In one he is born in Ireland the rest Scot. Have followed Susannah also,she went to prison a couple of times, found an article on her when that free GALE thing was on, and she hung herself in prison. Have also followed their three children.

Ellen LOCHIEL (bc 1817) m Daniel BLUE. Have followed her up till death.

John LOCHIEL (bc 1817) have followed him till death, found an article on him in newspaper, went to jail for theft. On DC says he was married to Rebecca McMILLAN, have not found any sign of her.

Agnes LOCHIEL (bc 1819) m Neil McCORMICK. Have followed her till death.

Mary LOCHIEL (bc 1821). I think I have found Mary marrying Henry McKIBBON 1845 in Rutherglen although last name is LOHEAL. I had some help a while back on this board tracing her and she ended up in USA. Did not order her DC as I don't believe ther will be anything on it that will help.

James LOCHIEL (bc 1826) no trace of him after 1841 census.

Christina LOCHIEL (bc 1826) I think Christina ends up in Pennsylvania USA. On 1880 census she say mother b Ireland father b Scotland.

Elizabeth LOCHIEL (bc 1830) my ggggrandmother. Have traced her through to death.

Have looked in OPR deaths. Philip is not in these. The family was possibly RC. Philip is a coal miner on wifes and childrens dc's. There is another LOCHIEL family in LANARK who use a lot of the same names as my family. There is also a family that originate in Aberdeen, some of which end up in Lanark. Have not been able to tie any of these to my family. LOCHIEL is also one of those annoying names that you have to type in every variation in the IGI. The other Neil in Lanark was also known as O'HEAL, but have found no indication that that was the case with my family.

I think I have included everything of importance. I really don't think there is anything else to find on Philip, but thanks for reading anyway.

Karen
Lochiel, McKinlay, McGibbon/McCubbin, Cunningham, McDougall, Burnside - Lanarkshire->Ayrshire.
Hay, Hannah, - Kirkcudbright.
McIntosh, McQuaters/McWatters, White, - Kilmarnock
Murdoch, Hope, McMillan - Muirkirk

Ann In the UK

Post by Ann In the UK » Fri Sep 04, 2009 8:15 am

This may be either brilliant or utterly useless :lol:

Have you considered a clan connection to that surname? The reason I ask is, some of my lot are MacMillans. My branch were crofters in Blaich, on the opposite side of the loch to Fort William - that is, Loch Eil. However, that branch originated on the west side of the next loch up, Locharkaig, on land beloging to the Camerons, the chief of whom was once Donald Cameron, known as 'the gentle Lochiel", a Jacobite and one of the main Protagonists in the Jacobite uprisings know as 'the '45' http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Donald_Cameron_of_Lochiel

I know from my research that many MacMillans were also known as Cameron to demonstrate their affiliation with the chief - who knows perhaps some living on the estate, or admirers of the chief, also took the name Locheil?

(By the way, the surname Blue is a sept of MacMillan too).

Just a thought.

Ann

karenmcc

Post by karenmcc » Fri Sep 04, 2009 9:16 am

Hi Ann,

Thanks for your interest. I was aware of the clan CAMERON conection to Lochiel. In fact it can be quite annoying when looking for the name in newspapers or the national archives and such. I do not however think this is where my family name came from, althought there is a girl over there in Scotland who I think is possibly descendant from teh other Lochiel family in Rutherglen who says her family told her that they had to ring the bell for her if she went to Glasgow, which is something to do with one of the Camerons of LOCHIEL. I asked about if there was a connection on the clan cameron website, and one of the experts on there said he doubted there was a connection and that the name probably was a location name from Leochell Cushnie in Aberdeen. there are also some people on World Connect who have children of some of the Camerons using the name Lochiel. By the way, if anyone looks on World Connect, the info on Philip and family on there was provided by me to a relation connected through my Ggggrandmother Elizabeth.

Anyway, thanks again lAnn.

Karen
Lochiel, McKinlay, McGibbon/McCubbin, Cunningham, McDougall, Burnside - Lanarkshire->Ayrshire.
Hay, Hannah, - Kirkcudbright.
McIntosh, McQuaters/McWatters, White, - Kilmarnock
Murdoch, Hope, McMillan - Muirkirk

Ann In the UK

Post by Ann In the UK » Fri Sep 04, 2009 9:21 am

Ah well, was just an idea.

Good luck with the rest of your search,
Regards,
Ann