David Camerons Scotch Ancestors, Geddes.

Looking for Scottish Ancestors

Moderator: Global Moderators

Richard1979

David Camerons Scotch Ancestors, Geddes.

Post by Richard1979 » Sun Feb 07, 2010 2:31 am

Hello All

The Godfather of my 4xg grandfather William Troup in 1788 Glass, Aberdeenshire was a John Geddes. I have recently been (attempting) to find out a bit more about Glass in general. There is a book on the parish, but it seems to be rarer than hens teeth, and can only find copies going for silly money. What I have found however is that the Geddes family seem to have a link to the current leader of the opposition Mr Cameron. I believe his father was born in Blairmore House, Glass, which was itself built by his g-g grandfather Alexander Geddes.

This Alexander Geddes is apparantly known as the 'Chicago Grain King', he made a fortune in the States, before returning to Scotland. Can not really find any more info about him online though.

Though I'm not personally in Mr Camerons political camp , and pretty much indifferent to him one way or another as a personality...his ancestor sounds like a colourful charachter, and obviously I would be interested to know if this Alexander is related to my John Geddes (the link is a bit of trivia to add to the tree if nothing else!). Glass seems quite a small parish so must be fairly likely.

Wonder if anyone could help confirm or otherwise?

Regards

Richard
Researching: Gordon, Troup, Milne, Grant, McInnes, Brown (Aberdeenshire, Moray, Banff)

Holohan & Donnelly (Dundee & Eire)

Richard1979

Re: David Camerons Scotch Ancestors, Geddes.

Post by Richard1979 » Tue Feb 09, 2010 4:14 pm

Think I have managed to sort this, anyway.

For sake of any others interested in either the Geddes family or Glass:

Alexander Geddes the 'Grain King' born in Glass, 1843, and died there 1902. He went to America where he made a fortune, though he nearly lost it all in the Great Fire of Chicago 1871, but it was saved by a safe which he treasured for rest of his life. He returned to Glass in the 1880's and built Blaimore House there which was finished in 1885. His daughter Rachel Margaret Geddes lived there with her husband Ewen Allan Cameron, and their son Ewen Donal Cameron, David Camerons father was born there. I believe it later became a School and is now used as a religious house.

Alexander Geddes parents were John Geddes (b.1797 Glass, D.1881 Glass) and Janet MacConachie. They had ten children baptised at Glass, between 1828-1845, Alexander being the youngest but one, and the youngest son.

This John, was the son of another John Geddes (1758-1823) and his second wife Helen Annand. They were married at Glass 1795 and had five children baptised there, between 1795-1803.

I believe this elder John probably was the same man who was godfather to my 4xg grandfather William Troup in Glass 1788. They are the only Geddes family in the Glass registers in any case.
Researching: Gordon, Troup, Milne, Grant, McInnes, Brown (Aberdeenshire, Moray, Banff)

Hugo

Post by Hugo » Fri Feb 12, 2010 10:11 pm

I did not know that the parish of Glass existed. However, I knew a family with the surname Glass. Does this imply that the family originally came form that parish.
Hugo

The more you know, the more you know how little you know. (My science teacher)

[scotland-flag]

paddyscar
Site Admin

Post by paddyscar » Sat Feb 13, 2010 3:11 am

Hi Richard:

You may find the following sites interesting -
http://www.geo.ed.ac.uk/scotgaz/parishe ... st292.html
http://books.google.com/books?q=glass%2 ... arch+Books

There is a book on the history of Glass, which you may be able to use at your public or university library

Glass, Aberdeenshire the story of a parish
Authors: Godsman, James.
Year: 1971
Subject: Glass, Aberdeenshire -- History.
Publisher: Aberdeen (28 Market St., Aberdeen) Alex. P. Reid and Son
Size: [8],259p,18plates(1fold) ill 1map,1port 20cm
ISBN: 0900961066

There is a listing for Alexander on the IGI, but with variations of spelling for his Mother's name.

ALEXANDER GEDDES Male
Birth: 03 MAY 1843 Glass, Aberdeen, Scotland

Using the above spelling of the Mother’s name, the IGI provides information on the siblings
[b]http://www.familysearch.org/Eng/Sear ... m=true[/b]

1. MARGARET GEDDES - International Genealogical Index
Gender: Female Birth: 20 APR 1837 Glass, Aberdeen, Scotland
2. CHARLOTTE GEDDES - International Genealogical Index
Gender: Female Birth: 23 NOV 1845 Glass, Aberdeen, Scotland
3. JANE GEDDES - International Genealogical Index
Gender: Female Birth: 04 OCT 1835 Glass, Aberdeen, Scotland
4. WILLIAM DUGUID GEDDES - International Genealogical Index
Gender: Male Christening: 30 NOV 1828 Glass, Aberdeen, Scotland
5. JOHN GEDDES - International Genealogical Index
6. ALEXANDER GEDDES - International Genealogical Index
7. JAMES CRUICKSHANK GEDDES - International Genealogical Index
8. HELEN GEDDES - International Genealogical Index
Gender: Female Birth: 22 JUN 1839 Glass, Aberdeen, Scotland

Hope this will be of some help or interest,
Frances
John Kelly (b 22 Sep 1897) eldest child of John Kelly & Christina Lipsett Kelly of Glasgow

Currie

Post by Currie » Sat Feb 13, 2010 11:44 am

Hello Richard,

Here’s an obituary from the Chicago Daily Tribune, July 3, 1902.

BOARD OF TRADE MAN WHO DIED YESTERDAY.

Alexander Geddes, a member of the Chicago board of trade, died yesterday after an illness of two months at his old home in Blairmore, Scotland, where he had gone in search of health. His death was due to a general collapse of the nervous system. He had been at Blairmore only a few days, having left Chicago for Scotland a month ago. Mrs. Geddes was with him when he died. The remains will be buried near Mr. Geddes’ birthplace in Scotland.

Mr. Geddes emigrated from Scotland to Montreal in 1860, and there associated himself with Muir & Co. in the dry goods business. At the end of two years he removed to Milwaukee, where he entered the employ of Alexander Mitchell. In 1863 he came to Chicago and entered the commission business. Shortly afterwards he organized a company, which did extensive trading on the board under the name of Alexander Geddes & Co., of which concern Mr. Geddes was the head until his death.

In November, 1877, Mr. Geddes married Miss Frances Sharp. His widow, two sons, and three daughters survive him. Mr. Geddes was a member of the Chicago club.

When Mr. Geddes’ death became known on ‘change a message of condolence was cabled to Mrs. Geddes.

There’s a photograph with the obit. If you would like a copy just send me an email address via a PM.

All the best,
Alan

Richard1979

Post by Richard1979 » Mon Feb 15, 2010 10:33 pm

Thanks Frances and Alan, very interesting information. The obituary is a lot more informative than any of the information I have been able to find on Alexander so far. The book, Frances, is indeed the same one I have been trying to get hold of but seems to be incredibly rare these days!

I certainly would be interested in seeing the photograph with the obit Alan, someone sent me through a photo of Blairmore House itself, which he had built in Glass, but they had no photo of the man himself.

Incidentelly, just to add to the info above for any other interested researchers in future the Geddes family I have also since found on a list of those living in the parish of Glass, drawn up after the 1715 Jacobite uprising, so they seem indigenous to the parish, unlike my Troups who seem to have moved there rather later on in that century probably from nearby Mortlach parish.

Will send a PM Alan.

Thanks

Richard

ageddes54

Post by ageddes54 » Mon Feb 12, 2024 7:12 am

Hello Richard,

I have only just found Talking Scot and your posts back in 2010. If your interest is still current, I would be happy to share my knowledge of my branch of the Geddes family. I actually have quite a lot of information about Glass and my family (and some info of my relatives the Cameron family).

Let me know - hopefully I can respond in under 13 years !!

Cheers

Andrew