Ross Gardener's a father and son

Looking for Scottish Ancestors

Moderator: Global Moderators

Beckenham1

Ross Gardener's a father and son

Post by Beckenham1 » Tue Mar 30, 2010 9:05 pm

A Ross relative of mine from Forfar. Went to (Calder) Cawdor Castle arround 1987 or so...

She discovered that a Ross from Helmsdale, Sutherlandshire (a cousin) had been a Head Gardener there. He would have been in his seventies by then I suppose.

I think she may have met his son (another Ross) who was also a gardener there at the time.

Does anyone know anything of such people?

They were all descended from Roderick Ross, born abt 1782 in the Parish of Loth who died abt 1863 in West Helmsdale.

Many thanks, Jim

Beckenham1

Re: Ross Gardener's a father and son

Post by Beckenham1 » Mon Apr 26, 2010 6:30 pm

I wonder if my revered relation got the location of of these gardening men at Cawdor wrong?
Does anyone know of Ross's as Gardeners anywhere in Scotland in recent history. I'm fairly certain it would be north of Forfar and south of Helmsdale.
All the best, Jim

LesleyB

Post by LesleyB » Mon Apr 26, 2010 7:27 pm

Hi Jim
The main problem with trying to trace this is going to be the surname. Ross is a very frequently occurring surname up north, kinda similar to Smith everywhere else...but worse!!

Best wishes
Lesley

mdrew

Post by mdrew » Wed Mar 13, 2013 9:02 pm

Hi

I am also related to the Ross's from Forfar. My Grandfather was Angus Ross, Great grandfather was Donald Ross, brother of Roderick Chief Constable Edinburgh. Great Great Grandfather William Ross, Great Great Great Grandfather Roderick Ross.

Beckenham1

Post by Beckenham1 » Fri Sep 25, 2015 2:28 pm

Just for the record I discovered my man was the Head Forester at Castle Cawdor...

Thanks for looking.