Need help with family of Daniel Colquhoun MD

Looking for Scottish Ancestors

Moderator: Global Moderators

nelmit

Re: Need help with family of Daniel Colquhoun MD

Post by nelmit » Sat May 01, 2010 9:45 am

Sorry no more about the brothers but wondered if you had seen this wee snippet about Daniel. From a link by Alan Sharp. viewtopic.php?f=21&t=14549

Have you ever thought about obtaining his 1935 death cert in the hope that it gives his mother's name? https://www.bdmhistoricalrecords.dia.go ... death.aspx

Like Sally I see the family in 1881 at Camberwell yet there is no obvious death for Mary at Camberwell but the death of Archibald seems highly probable. I am assuming as Robert senior died in 1861 at Glasgow then he was just shown as married with no wife's name given.

Regards,
Annette

Montrose Budie

Post by Montrose Budie » Sat May 01, 2010 11:01 am

A short search for the death of Robert on ScotlandsPeople, 1861 - 1871, year of birth 1812 +/- 2 produces just one result, the very likely man. As is the process in Scotland his widow's name, in the format of her maiden surname is shown.

The informant was son Archibald, but beware that he may have indulged in a little "death dertificate promotion, his father's occuaption being shown as Provisions Merchant as opposed to the '51 and '61 census occupations of Provision Merchant's Clerk, and Provision Merchant's Assistant.

So he changed occupation from Warper after his marriage to Mary, or maybe thru marriage, but then son Archibald reports his grandfather's occupation as "Grocer" ..........

mb

nelmit

Post by nelmit » Sat May 01, 2010 11:36 am

Thanks David - got my dates all wrong! :oops: Thought it was between 1861-65 (instead of 1856-60) that spouses names were rarely given.

Regards,
Annette

JanH

Post by JanH » Sat May 01, 2010 3:51 pm

Dear All
Have found from Robert Snr's death record on SP that he died on 25 Dec 1861 - and wife was Mary McMillan. Many thanks to all you sleuths out there for your wonderful help. Great to have solved one puzzle............ onward and upward to the next - son Archibald.....
Thanks again.
Jan

Montrose Budie

Post by Montrose Budie » Sat May 01, 2010 9:41 pm

JanH wrote:Dear All
Have found from Robert Snr's death record on SP that he died on 25 Dec 1861 - and wife was Mary McMillan. Many thanks to all you sleuths out there for your wonderful help. Great to have solved one puzzle............ onward and upward to the next - son Archibald.....
Thanks again.
Jan

My pleasure, it was easy with the info that you had.

If young Archibald died in Scotland, the search technique is easy. On ScotlandsPeople search on the basis of his year of birth +/- 5, and set the lower year limit to when you last have sight of him.

Not bothering with the latter, there's only 5 matches, i.e. 1855 onwards, but I can only tell you that it not the closest age match.

mb

PS As grannysrock has pointed out FreeBMD has the following -

Sep Qtr 1879 Archibald 40 Camberwell 1d 393

- which is an exact age match, and I seem to recall seeing Camberwell mentioned previously in this thread.

mb

CLAREMURPHY

Post by CLAREMURPHY » Thu Jul 25, 2013 10:14 am

Daniel Colquhoun was my Great Grandfather. He had one daughter born in Dunedin, New Zealand, 20 June 1899 named Ethel May Pellowe. She was my grandmother. She was born illegitimate. The reality about who her mother and father were was kept secret for over 80 years.
Daniel Colquhoun back centre.jpg
Daniel Colquhoun back centre.jpg (46.18 KiB) Viewed 331 times
Otago Medical School Staff 1934. A photograph of Medical School professors standing on the steps of the Otago Medical School Building - Sir Louis Barnett, Sir Lindo Ferguson, Dr Daniel Colquhoun (behind), Dr William John Mullin, Dr William Stewart Weeding Roberts (in front). SOURCE: University of Otago Medical Library : Historical Collection, Scrapbook of autograph letters and photographs of Otago University Medical School staff, MS-1689/001, Item 1
Colquhoun daniel death.jpeg
Daniel Colquhoun's Will
Colquhoun daniel death.jpeg (78.76 KiB) Viewed 331 times
colquhoun University of Otago NZ 1949.jpeg
colquhoun University of Otago NZ 1949.jpeg (52.86 KiB) Viewed 331 times

BMilne

Post by BMilne » Fri Mar 17, 2017 7:48 am

CLAREMURPHY wrote:
Thu Jul 25, 2013 10:14 am
Daniel Colquhoun was my Great Grandfather. He had one daughter born in Dunedin, New Zealand, 20 June 1899 named Ethel May Pellowe. She was my grandmother. She was born illegitimate. The reality about who her mother and father were was kept secret for over 80 years.
Daniel Colquhoun back centre.jpgOtago Medical School Staff 1934. A photograph of Medical School professors standing on the steps of the Otago Medical School Building - Sir Louis Barnett, Sir Lindo Ferguson, Dr Daniel Colquhoun (behind), Dr William John Mullin, Dr William Stewart Weeding Roberts (in front). SOURCE: University of Otago Medical Library : Historical Collection, Scrapbook of autograph letters and photographs of Otago University Medical School staff, MS-1689/001, Item 1
Colquhoun daniel death.jpeg
colquhoun University of Otago NZ 1949.jpeg
Hello Clare,
My name is Barbara and Daniel is most certainly part of my family on my mother's side. Seems, from your posting, that Dan'l was not the paragon of virtue his obits indicated. Hmmm!! I would of course dearly love to learn more about Ethel and anything you can supply re Dan'l's 'transgression'. I would like to send to you all the info I have gathered about Dan & his rellies I also have digital copies of several photos of Dan as a very young man, while he was still in Glasgow. All of the above is on offer and I believe we could swap quite a bit of info.
Hope to hear from you soon - my email address is tammydterrier@yahoo.com.au

Regards,
Barbara Milne