Need help with family of Daniel Colquhoun MD

Looking for Scottish Ancestors

Moderator: Global Moderators

JanH

Need help with family of Daniel Colquhoun MD

Post by JanH » Fri Apr 30, 2010 12:57 pm

I have an ancestor - Daniel Colquhoun (c1850-1935) who was for a while a Professor of Medecine at the University of Otago, Dunedin, in New Zealand. I have the Scottish and English censuses which show his parents as Robert Colquhoun (c1812) and Mary (c1812) - and his siblings as Archibald (1839), Robert (1844), and William (1848). However, what I can't find are their births on Scotlands People, or what mother Mary's maiden name. It's probably me being totally thick, but I would really appreciate any help that anyone can give.

Just to add a little extra mystery - I lose track of Archibald after the 1861 census. I did wonder if he might have joined either Robert who emigrated to Australia, or down to England where I can find William and Daniel for a while. William (listed as Journalist in 1881 English census) vanishes after that year, so he's a mystery too.

Basically - does anyone have these people in their family, or have they come across any of them, or can they suggest anywhere I may be able to look next.

Apologies for being long winded.

Jan

SarahND
Site Admin

Re: Need help with family of Daniel Colquhoun MD

Post by SarahND » Fri Apr 30, 2010 1:26 pm

Hello Jan,
Welcome to [talkingscot]

In the IGI on Familysearch.org there is this extracted marriage:

Robert Colquhoun & Mary McMillan
9 Jul 1838 Glasgow, Lanark

Does this fit with the birth places of their children in the censuses? You don't mention where this family is located in Scotland. I don't see any children's births for this couple on the IGI, but since they were not obliged to report the births until 1855, there may be no record. Or, if they belonged to another church than the Church of Scotland, they would not appear in the OPR births & baptisms on Scotlandspeople.gov.uk

All the best,
Sarah

nelmit

Post by nelmit » Fri Apr 30, 2010 1:55 pm

I think this is probably them in 1851 at Glasgow Sarah -

Robert Colquhoun 39 born Glasgow
Mary Colquhoun 39
Archibald Colquhoun 12
Robert Colquhoun 7
William Colquhoun 3
Daniel Colquhoun 1
Archibald Colquhoun 66

They are still there in 1861.

Regards,
Annette

SarahND
Site Admin

Post by SarahND » Fri Apr 30, 2010 2:02 pm

Hi Annette,
What birth places does it give for the children? All Glasgow? I'm currently without a subscription to Ancestry :roll:

Regards,
Sarah

nelmit

Post by nelmit » Fri Apr 30, 2010 2:19 pm

SarahND wrote:Hi Annette,
What birth places does it give for the children? All Glasgow? I'm currently without a subscription to Ancestry :roll:

Regards,
Sarah
Yes all Glasgow Sarah. Here they are in 1841 from FREECEN which puts a wee spanner in the works although the age gap between the children suggests it could be a 2nd marriage.

Piece: SCT1841/644 Place: Glasgow -Lanarkshire Enumeration District: 12
Civil Parish: Glasgow Ecclesiastical Parish, Village or Island: St David
Folio: 166 Page: 14
Address: Margaret Street

Surname First name(s) Sex Age Occupation Where Born Remarks
COLQUHOUN Robert M 25 Ham Store Shopman Lanarkshire
COLQUHOUN Mary F 25 Lanarkshire
COLQUHOUN Robt M 8 Lanarkshire
COLQUHOUN Archibald M 2 Lanarkshire

Best wishes,
Annette

SarahND
Site Admin

Post by SarahND » Fri Apr 30, 2010 3:01 pm

Hi Annette,
Yes, I saw that one from FreeCen and wondered about another marriage. There is an earlier marriage for a Robert, but that couple keeps on having children throughout the same time period, so I guess not. The young Robert could be a cousin or nephew, I suppose. One would have to keep tracking him through the censuses.

Regards,
Sarah

JanH

Post by JanH » Fri Apr 30, 2010 4:36 pm

Hi All
Wow - I didn't expect such quick responses. Yes, Annette is right with the census information - 1851 and 1861.
Jan

nelmit

Post by nelmit » Fri Apr 30, 2010 4:43 pm

I don't know how you could follow this up as he could be any one of a number of Archibald Colquhouns from Glasgow but I found this - http://www.universitystory.gla.ac.uk/bi ... 990&type=P

As for Daniel's mother's name - the most obvious is the marriage Sarah found. I'd be tempted to look at the marriage entry at SP and hope that it shows Robert's occupation.

Regards,
Annette

JanH

Post by JanH » Fri Apr 30, 2010 11:11 pm

nelmit wrote:I don't know how you could follow this up as he could be any one of a number of Archibald Colquhouns from Glasgow but I found this - http://www.universitystory.gla.ac.uk/bi ... 990&type=P

As for Daniel's mother's name - the most obvious is the marriage Sarah found. I'd be tempted to look at the marriage entry at SP and hope that it shows Robert's occupation.

Regards,
Annette
Thanks for the university link for Archibald - I'll look further into that. Have found the SP marriage entry for Robert Colquhoun and Mary McMillan - it states his occupation as "Warper", which doesn't fit with the census listings of "Provisions Merchant".

Many thanks to all for your speedy advice and assistance. I'll keep digging and will report back if I get any major breakthrough.

Thanks again.
Jan

grannysrock

Post by grannysrock » Sat May 01, 2010 9:03 am

Hi Jan
Do you know where Robert senior died ? As Mary was recorded as a widow in 1871 , I presume he died between 1861 and 1871.
If he died in Scotland , his death certificate might provide his wife's maiden name .

There is a death in 1879 in Camberwell of an Archibald Colquhoun aged 40 ( http://www.freebmd.org.uk) As Mary,Daniel and William in Camberwell in 1881 , I wondered if that might be your Archibald.

best of luck

sally