Alexander Torry

Looking for Scottish Ancestors

Moderator: Global Moderators

Boru

Alexander Torry

Post by Boru » Thu Feb 17, 2011 4:11 am

Looking for information on ALEXANDER TORRY born in Scotland... married a woman named SARAH and moved to Ontario Canada and had a number of children including Anne Torry (1873) ..Anne would marry francis Crooks ( 1869 approx)and have a number of children including Viola Crooks ( 1909 )... To this point I have had no luck finding any information about ALEXANDER and SARAH ... any information would be appreciated ...

SarahND
Site Admin

Re: Alexander Torry

Post by SarahND » Thu Feb 17, 2011 9:15 am

Hello Boru and [TS_welcome]
Would he be the one who died in the village of Egmondville, Huron county in 1924? If so, his death certificate says he was born in Scotland in Feb, 1835 and that his father was John Torry, born in England, but the informant, his daughter, didn't know his mother's name.

This looks like it could be the family in Rothiemay, Banffshire, Scotland in 1841:

John Torry, 35, born Banffshire, Ag Lab
John Torry, 5, born Banffshire
Alex Torry, 7, born Banffshire
Isobel Torry, 45, born Banffshire
Margaret Geddes, 20, born Banffshire

That birth can be found on the IGI on the old FamilySearch.org site, but he was not born in February, as his daughter thought. I wouldn't worry too much about that, since people didn't pay as much attention to birthdays in those days.

Alexander Torry
Birth 7 Sep 1833
Christening 10 Sep 1833 Rothiemay, Banff
Father: John Torry
Mother: Isabel Leslie

All the best,
Sarah

SarahND
Site Admin

Post by SarahND » Thu Feb 17, 2011 9:53 am

Hi again,
According to their marriage (indexed under "Tarry) on 6 Dec 1866 in Ontario, his parents were, indeed, John Torry and Isabella Leslie :D

Sarah's maiden name was Hamilton, father Thomas, mother Ann McKay (Looks like it could be McVae, from the IGI)

All the best,
Sarah

Boru

Post by Boru » Thu Feb 17, 2011 11:27 am

I believe thats them ... Thank you very much ...

maggiechurchville

Post by maggiechurchville » Fri Nov 24, 2017 1:10 am

Hello Boru,

I found this thread while researching my own Hamilton roots. Alexander Torry married my great-great-grandmother's twin sister, Sarah Hamilton. (my GGG was Jane McCulloch Hamilton Sewell). The entire Hamilton family emigrated from Kirkmaiden, Scotland to Ontario, Canada in 1858, when Sarah and Jane were 20. We have a family story of Sarah and Jane's older brothers disapproving of both of their Canadian-met admirers, with different results. Too much to go into here.

I assume you are descended from one of Sarah and Alexander's 9 children. We are likely 4th cousins! PM me through TalkingScot.
Maggie Churchville

SarahND
Site Admin

Post by SarahND » Fri Nov 24, 2017 10:21 am

Hello Maggie and [TS_welcome]

Boru was last on the forum in April of this year, so there is hope that the message will get through - fingers crossed!

All the best,
Sarah