Roderick McKenzie/MacKenzie

Looking for Scottish Ancestors

Moderator: Global Moderators

SarahND
Site Admin

Re: Roderick McKenzie/MacKenzie

Post by SarahND » Tue Oct 09, 2012 2:48 pm

Hi Morna,
This is a bewildering family and unfortunately back before the censuses and statutory registration it is hard to really know. The names of Marion's parents do make it look like they were following the Scottish naming pattern. In that case Roderick's parents should be Hector and Betsy.

From children's births on FamilySearch.org it looks like Alexander Stewart and Marrion McLean were having children in Kiltearn, Ross & Cromarty. There is a Helen Stewart christened on 8 Apr 1798 and an Abbey Stewart christened on 23 Feb 1800. If Roderick and Marion came from the same place and their families knew each other before they emigrated, then that looks more like this one:

Roderick Mackenzie, christened 15 Dec 1799 Kiltearn, Ross and Cromarty, parents Alexander Mackenzie and Margaret Fraser.

… which doesn't fit with the naming pattern, but does have a father Alexander! :?

[help]

Sarah

Mornarae

Post by Mornarae » Fri Nov 09, 2012 11:47 am

You seem to have been working hard for me, thank you!

So, if he was supposedly 64 when he died in 1865, it seems he would have been born in either 1800 or 1801? Do gravestones usually get ages that wrong, ie 1799? Your suggestion does sound more likely than others doesn't it!

So any suggestions where I should go from here?

Thanks, Morna.

SarahND
Site Admin

Post by SarahND » Fri Nov 09, 2012 9:05 pm

Mornarae wrote: Do gravestones usually get ages that wrong, ie 1799?
I wouldn't say usually, but certainly often! I have any number of incorrect dates "cast in stone" in my ancestry. Especially when someone dies far from where they were born, who is there to remind them of their true age? Many people didn't keep track of their ages in those days as we do now and the survivors would just have been going along with what they thought they had been told.

All the best,
Sarah

Alan SHARP

Post by Alan SHARP » Mon Nov 12, 2012 8:05 pm

Greetings from NZ.

Engraving mistakes can be costly to repair, depending upon who made them.

In my case my wife died just before our 25th anniversary, because of auto-immune problems. I went to a lot of trouble to get a friend to carve, in wood, small field mice and an ear of seed, so that the image could be incorporated in the casting of a bronze berm plaque. When the plaque arrived, I proudly showed the kids what I'd achieved, to honour Mum, only to be greeted by a chorus of "Dad you know what you say about proof reading your own copy!" And sure enough the transposed numerals in the inscribed date, was my error not the plaque maker's. I choose to re-order with the correct date.

Alan SHARP.

Mornarae

Post by Mornarae » Fri Feb 08, 2013 8:17 am

Back again, Sorry I have been very slow in saying thankyou to all who looked into my Roderick McKenzie - too much Christmas & holiday season here!

If you read this Stewie, I am interested in where you found the birth of a Roderick McK in 1801, whose father was Hector - I cannot find anything at all.

Have not progressed any further with my searching, but the 15 Dec 1799 Kiltearn, parents Alexander Mackenzie & Margaret Fraser that was found by Sarah, seems very interesting indeed. No other research has brought up anything else.

Thank you for your help.

Morna :D

StewL

Post by StewL » Sat Feb 09, 2013 3:39 am

Hello Morna
I found the certificate on SP a while ago.
PM me your email address and I will send it to you.
:)
Stewie

Searching for: Anderson, Balks, Barton, Courtney, Davidson, Downie, Dunlop, Edward, Flucker, Galloway, Graham, Guthrie, Higgins, Laurie, Mathieson, McLean, McLuckie, Miln, Nielson, Payne, Phillips, Porterfield, Stewart, Watson

ahenseleit

Post by ahenseleit » Thu Sep 21, 2017 2:06 am

=D> I have something to add to this. It doesn't help with the name of parents but it may give some insight into the family tree. Please send me your email and I will send you docs.

Mornarae

Post by Mornarae » Sun Nov 12, 2017 2:37 am

Thanks, I have sent you a private message with my email address.