RESOLVED - Seeking assistance to locate SECOND marriage

Looking for Scottish Ancestors

Moderator: Global Moderators

q98

RESOLVED - Seeking assistance to locate SECOND marriage

Post by q98 » Fri Apr 19, 2013 9:53 am

Seeking assistance to locate SECOND marriage of Margaret (m.s. NELSON) McCREADIE.

• Married John McCREADIE in 1871. John died 1879.
• Following extracted from her 1910 Queensland Death Certificate:
Sex and Age: Female, 58 years
Where and to whom deceased was married: 22 years, John McCREADIE. Glasgow, Scotland 30 years, Robert SMITH.

As she and John McCREADIE were married only 8 years, it is logical to conclude that “22 years” and “30 years” above were the ages she claimed at marriage
to each husband, although her Marriage Certificate to John McCREADIE states she was 24 years.
Other details (Father’s Surname, Son-in-law’s name, children’s names) on Queensland Death Certificate exactly match previously known and proven data.

Despite extensive Scotland’s People searches, I cannot locate her birth on OPR nor a Marriage to Robert SMITH. ](*,)
Last edited by q98 on Sat Apr 20, 2013 1:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
q98
32 00 S 115 45 E

JustJean

Re: Seeking assistance to locate SECOND marriage

Post by JustJean » Fri Apr 19, 2013 12:59 pm

Have you located her on all the census records....and if so where was she living and under which name please from 1880 up and also when did she emigrate to Queensland...???

best wishes
Jean

nelmit

Post by nelmit » Fri Apr 19, 2013 10:44 pm

Jim and Jean,

There is a marriage in 1882 of a Margaret Neilson and Robert Smith but when I try a cross check with McCreadie I get nothing.......but maybe it's worth a check.

Best wishes,
Annette

q98

Post by q98 » Sat Apr 20, 2013 1:20 am

Thanks to you both.

nelmit:
This lady may not have been above telling little white fabrications:
1871 Marriage Extract to John McCREADIE notes Age 24 Years, Parents as James Nelson (Blacksmith, Deceased) and Margaret Innis (Deceased)
1882 Marriage Extract to Robert SMITH notes Age 32 Years, Parents as Alexander NELSON (Blacksmith, Deceased) and Jane Robertson (Deceased)

However, that said, the 1871 Census notes her address as 8 Allison Street, Ayr. Her 1882 Marriage Extract to Robert SMITH also notes address "8 Allison Street, Ayr".

Despite some inconsistencies, I am satisfied the 1882 marriage is she albeit in the surname NEILSON.

Again, thank you both.
q98
32 00 S 115 45 E

StewL

Re: RESOLVED - Seeking assistance to locate SECOND marriage

Post by StewL » Sat Apr 20, 2013 2:39 am

Hello Jim
I wouldn't worry about Nelson morphing from Neilson :D
In my Neilson line (mother side :D ) it morphs to Nelson around the 1800's or so.
Easier to spell I suppose :D
Stewie

Searching for: Anderson, Balks, Barton, Courtney, Davidson, Downie, Dunlop, Edward, Flucker, Galloway, Graham, Guthrie, Higgins, Laurie, Mathieson, McLean, McLuckie, Miln, Nielson, Payne, Phillips, Porterfield, Stewart, Watson

JustJean

Post by JustJean » Sun Apr 21, 2013 2:58 pm

Hi Jim

I know you've closed this thread as being "solved" but thought I'd give you a further shove in the right direction :D

Given the combination of parent names but most especially the occupation of blacksmith I've narrowed in on this family in 1851:

Name: James Nelson
Estimated Birth Year: abt 1799
Relationship: Head
Where born: Ireland
Parish Number: 899
Civil parish: Stranraer
County: Wigtownshire
Address: Hanover St
ED: 4
Page: 48 (click to see others on page)
Household schedule number: 202
Line: 1
Roll: CSSCT1851_217
Household Members:
Name Age
James Nelson 52
Elizebeth Nelson 20 b. Ireland
Janet Nelson 17 b. Colomonell, Ayrshire
Margret Nelson 14 b. Newbell, Wigton
Arther Nelson 10 b. Portpatrick, Wigton
Benjemin Nelson 8 b. Portpatrick, Wigton
William Nelson 6 b. Portpatrick, Wigton
Alexr Nelson 4 b. Portpatrick, Wigton

Note daughter Margert born about 1837 and no wife present in the household. I looked for brother Benjamin and found what looked like him in 1861 working as a coachman at Lambhill House in Maryhill Glasgow. So I looked further for a possible marriage of him and found one in 1874 Blythswood to Catherine Best on which he states his parents were James Nelson, blacksmith, and Jane Nelson mn Robertson both dec'd. That looked pretty good to me! So next I've looked for marriages for the older sisters to Margert. I'm out of time at the present to go further but did find sister Jane Nelson marrying John Innis in Stranraer in 1855. Sadly Jane had been born in Colmonell Ayrshire so no clues to origins in Ireland other than her hubbie John Innis, occ: shoemaker, claims to have been born in Kirkcubbin...which according to my google search is in County Down. At the time of her marriage in 1855 she lists mother Jane Robinson as being dec'd but father James Nelson is not. I would start looking for a death of James Nelson between 1855 and 1871 for starters. It looks like the mom has possibly died in Portpatrick between 1847 and 1851. I did not find them on the 1841 census yet.

Best wishes
Jean

PS...have had a look at the original 1851 census page and note that Margaret's palce of birth "newbell" as transcribed on Ancestry.com is most certainly written Newluce on the original.

JustJean

Post by JustJean » Sun Apr 21, 2013 6:08 pm

back again.....

Free Cen shows them in 1841 as:

Piece: SCT1841/896 Place: Portpatrick -Wigtownshire Enumeration District: 2
Civil Parish: Portpatrick Ecclesiastical Parish, Village or Island: -
Folio: 2 Page: 5
Address: Pinminnoch

Surname First name(s) Sex Age Occupation Where Born Remarks
NELSON James M 45 B S Ireland
NELSON Jane F 30 Wife Wigtownshire
NELSON Elisabeth F 9 Daughter Wigtownshire
NELSON Jennet F 7 Daughter Wigtownshire
NELSON Margaret F 5 Daughter Wigtownshire
NELSON Ann F 3 Daughter Wigtownshire
NELSON Arthur M 1 Son Wigtownshire

and in case you haven't yet looked.....the death of James the father is found 7 Nov 1857 in Stranraer. He is recorded as buried in New Cemetery at Sheuchan.

Best wishes
Jean

q98

Post by q98 » Mon Apr 22, 2013 6:15 am

MANY thanks =D> for that additional information Jean. There are 3 family connections; two here in Australia (mine and one other) and one in USA. We are all collecting and sharing data.
q98
32 00 S 115 45 E

Jo-Ann Burley

Resolved: I am the great granddaughter of Alexander Todd. He came to New Brunswick Canada.

Post by Jo-Ann Burley » Sun Jan 21, 2018 5:03 pm

JustJean wrote:
Sun Apr 21, 2013 2:58 pm
Hi Jim

I know you've closed this thread as being "solved" but thought I'd give you a further shove in the right direction :D

Given the combination of parent names but most especially the occupation of blacksmith I've narrowed in on this family in 1851:

Name: James Nelson
Estimated Birth Year: abt 1799
Relationship: Head
Where born: Ireland
Parish Number: 899
Civil parish: Stranraer
County: Wigtownshire
Address: Hanover St
ED: 4
Page: 48 (click to see others on page)
Household schedule number: 202
Line: 1
Roll: CSSCT1851_217
Household Members:
Name Age
James Nelson 52
Elizebeth Nelson 20 b. Ireland
Janet Nelson 17 b. Colomonell, Ayrshire
Margret Nelson 14 b. Newbell, Wigton
Arther Nelson 10 b. Portpatrick, Wigton
Benjemin Nelson 8 b. Portpatrick, Wigton
William Nelson 6 b. Portpatrick, Wigton
Alexr Nelson 4 b. Portpatrick, Wigton

Note daughter Margert born about 1837 and no wife present in the household. I looked for brother Benjamin and found what looked like him in 1861 working as a coachman at Lambhill House in Maryhill Glasgow. So I looked further for a possible marriage of him and found one in 1874 Blythswood to Catherine Best on which he states his parents were James Nelson, blacksmith, and Jane Nelson mn Robertson both dec'd. That looked pretty good to me! So next I've looked for marriages for the older sisters to Margert. I'm out of time at the present to go further but did find sister Jane Nelson marrying John Innis in Stranraer in 1855. Sadly Jane had been born in Colmonell Ayrshire so no clues to origins in Ireland other than her hubbie John Innis, occ: shoemaker, claims to have been born in Kirkcubbin...which according to my google search is in County Down. At the time of her marriage in 1855 she lists mother Jane Robinson as being dec'd but father James Nelson is not. I would start looking for a death of James Nelson between 1855 and 1871 for starters. It looks like the mom has possibly died in Portpatrick between 1847 and 1851. I did not find them on the 1841 census yet.

Best wishes
Jean

PS...have had a look at the original 1851 census page and note that Margaret's palce of birth "newbell" as transcribed on Ancestry.com is most certainly written Newluce on the original.

Jo-Ann Burley

Re: RESOLVED - there is also a Canadian link

Post by Jo-Ann Burley » Sun Jan 21, 2018 5:31 pm

I am the great granddaughter of Alexander Todd, he came to New Brunswick Canada and he has been my brick wall
a few facts about Alexander ( aka Sandy) b 1847 Died 1927 Saint John NB
military 1868-1881 Seaforth Highlanders
arrived in NB 1882 and brought with him blacksmith tools. He settled in Doaktown Settlement near Fredericton, this village was mostly settled by Scottish settlers
married Annie Susan Shanks in NB. They had 12 children
his death certificate has fathers name as James and mother as unknown but it may have been Elizabeth Andrews

My aunt told me that his sister Janet also came to NB but I can not find her so I have nothing to back up this claim
I have been in contact with someone in Mass. USA at is from this line but she has not been active the past few years.
I have not found anyone from his family in Scotland this is why he is my brickwall