Whites of Marlefield go missing

Looking for Scottish Ancestors

Moderator: Global Moderators

Lorna Allison

Whites of Marlefield go missing

Post by Lorna Allison » Mon Dec 30, 2013 11:45 pm

Hello

I have a family that has eluded me for a long while. They disappear after the 1841 Census - seemingly the whole lot of them.

I have looked on FMP Census in England and SP Scotland of course, also tried to see if I could find signs of emigration, but I am not good at that. Details are as follows and any help would be gratefully received.

Walter WHITE b. abt. 1793, Roxburghshire
Margaret TAIT b, 28 Apr 1798, Eckford, Roxburghshire
married 06 Jan 1821 at Eckford, Rox.
Children: All born in Eckford
Ann b. 26 Dec 1823
Margaret b. 02 Mar 1826
Walter b. 08 Jun 1828
William b. 05 Jul 1830
Betty Tait b. 13 Jan 1833
Christian b. 12 Jul 1835
George b. 26 Nov 1837
Robert b. 12 Aug 1840

In the Census for 1841 they are at Marlefield, Eckford where father is an Ag Lab
Margaret, Elisabeth (who I take it is the Betty Tait mentioned above), Christian, George and Robert

Have no info about Ann, Walter or William.

Of a family of 3 girls Margaret was the only one alive post 1830 and I would like to find her so - grateful for any help.

Kind regards

Lorna
Researching:

PAUL: Lanarkshire;
TORRANCE: Lanarkshire
CROSGROVE: Ayrshire, Glasgow
ALLISON: Glasgow
PRICE: Monmouthshire
CURZON: Staffs, Monmouthshire
TAIT, HUME, MIDDLEMAS,: Roxburghshire
PRINGLE: Glasgow, Central Belt, Edinburgh

SarahND
Site Admin

Re: Whites of Marlefield go missing

Post by SarahND » Tue Dec 31, 2013 9:42 am

Hi Lorna,
Sorry to say that it looks like Margaret died between 1841 and 1851 :(

Walter and daughters Margaret, Christian and son Robert are in Jedburgh under creative transcriptions on Ancestry:

Bougedward Village, Jedburgh, Roxburghshire
Walter Writt, 56, born Eckford, Roxburghshire, Labourer
Margart Writt, 25, daughter, born Eckford, Roxburghshire, Labourer
Cristian Writt, 16, daughter, born Caverton Mill, Roxburghshire, House Keeper
Robert Writt, 10, son, born Marefield, Roxburghshire, Scholar

Betty T White age 18, born Eckford is a house servant in Bowden, Roxburghshire in 1851 in the Drysdale household.

George White age 13, born Eckford is a Farm Labourer in Oxnam, Roxburghshire in the Bell household.

All the best,
Sarah

AndrewP
Site Admin

Post by AndrewP » Tue Dec 31, 2013 10:28 am

Hi Lorna,

On ScotlandsPeople you will find this family indexed as WRITE. The image is of very poor quality - it may be worth purchasing the image, and submitting a contact form to them, claiming illegibility. They should then re-scan the image and send you a copy of the new scan; the re-scanned image will eventually appear online.

Bonjedward House can be seen on an online Ordnance Survey map at:
https://www.streetmap.co.uk/map.srf?x=3 ... 22692&lm=0
Presumably the village is/was in that area.

All the best,

AndrewP

Lorna Allison

Post by Lorna Allison » Wed Jan 01, 2014 3:06 pm

Happy New Year Sarah and Andrew, best wishes for 2014 [cheers]

Thank you so much for finding my "Writts" :roll:

No, I really would never have found them without your help. I have bought the illegible image and asked for a better copy.

I know Bonjedward well. I remember a very trendy girl 2nd cousin who, in the late 1940s played accordion in a local band, drove her own car and after marriage ran Bonjedward filling station =D> =D> Her mother and grandmother just sat in their wee cottage wondering where on earth those genes came from :) or in their words "Don't know who she gets it from". Sadly she had no children to pass it on to.

Once again grateful thanks for your help - much appreciated.

Regards

Lorna
Researching:

AndrewP
Site Admin

Post by AndrewP » Thu Jan 02, 2014 12:22 am

Lorna Allison wrote:I have bought the illegible image and asked for a better copy.
Hi Lorna,

If the re-scanned census page shows the surname to be written as WHITE, then you should follow it up with another contact form asking them to correct the SP index. That way future people researching that family will have a better chance.

All the best,

AndrewP

Lorna Allison

Post by Lorna Allison » Thu Jan 02, 2014 2:53 pm

Hello Andrew

Yes I will certainly do that.

Cheers

Lorna
Researching:

Lorna Allison

Post by Lorna Allison » Wed Jan 08, 2014 8:32 pm

Hello Andrew

I received a much improved image for the census and it certainly does seem to show that White was written as Write, no way round it. They will upgrade the image in their records.

In the hope that a note could be incorporated somehow on the record to help future researchers I got back in touch but apparently (and understandably) their policy is to transcribe the original exactly as it has been written. So future researchers will have to be more imaginative with their * wildcard than I was. :roll:

Regards

Lorna
Researching:

Alan SHARP

Post by Alan SHARP » Wed Jan 08, 2014 8:55 pm

Greetings Lorna.

The very fact that you have discussed this issue on TS brings it out in the open for search bots to find, with future general searches.

I had a similar problem with a FreeCEN translation that was different to translations by other institutions. There were several competing versions. None being the one I wanted to see.

After much discussion by those with experience reading the old original records, [and FreeCEN administrators] all agreed that a better interpretation of the hand written script could be made, [and I believe it had since been updated] but that was it.

It had to be the best interpretation fit of the pen strokes on the census papers, and NOT my BEST FIT name, that I was able to supply, with family knowledge and supporting evidence.

Alan SHARP.

Rakiura John

Post by Rakiura John » Sat Dec 03, 2016 11:37 am

Hi Lorna
Google bought me to this thread.

In your 2013 posts, you mentioned that you had no info on Ann White (b1823), daughter of Walter White and Margaret Tait of Marlfield, Eckford.

I suspect daughter Ann married William Bone / Bain in 1845 (FS has Ann Whyte to William Bone at Eckford; and Ann White to William Bain at St Boswells – both probably Banns).

1851 Census has this family as "Bain" at Holydean, Bowden with 2 children (wife Ann incorrectly shown as born Yetholm).

1861 Census has them as "Bone" at Knockeppie, Kirkmaiden, Wigtownshire, with 7 children (wife Ann correctly shown as born Eckford).

Their first daughter Margaret named after Margaret Tait, and second son named after Walter White.

I think the Walter White born c1793 is the son of Walter White and Ann Douglas (Ana Dowglas), chr 7 Jun 1789 at Eckford.

My interest is Walter's (b1789) older brother George (b1779, Selkirk) who married Margaret Rutherford. Their children included Ann White (b1812, Crailing) who married Adam Scott (b c1814, Morebattle).

I see you are researching Tait, so the White ancestry is probably only incidental. However you did mention that you thought Margaret was the only daughter alive post 1830, so the possibility of Ann having survived might give you something else to explore. However, you must have had some reason to believe that Ann did not survive post 1830, so perhaps the Bone/Bain family involves a different Ann White.

Regards
John

SarahND
Site Admin

Post by SarahND » Sat Dec 03, 2016 12:22 pm

Hello John and [TS_welcome]

Lorna is still very active on the site, so I'm sure she will respond soon! It's wonderful how the search engines attract further information to older posts!

Best wishes,
Sarah