My GGG Grandfather John Dunlop

Looking for Scottish Ancestors

Moderator: Global Moderators

johndunlop1980

My GGG Grandfather John Dunlop

Post by johndunlop1980 » Sun Jun 29, 2014 8:19 pm

Hi everyone, my name is John Dunlop.

I'm a beginner at all of this but pretty much hooked already. A bit lost in finding a John Dunlop who was married to Agnes McHarg sometime before 1863.

I have them on their son William Dunlop's marriage certificate in 1882 John was a Coal Miner according to that. I can't find a birth certificate for William who was born abt 1863 and the last census record I have for him is in 1881 where he is an 18 year old boarder with the Wilson family.

According to the census William was born in Ayr, Ayrshire, and it's the 1881 Census, Glasgow Parish, Gorbals; ED: 24; Page: 8; Line: 9; Roll: cssct1881_246.

I haven't been able to find William on earlier census' his marriage was in the Gorbals in Glasgow to Helen McConnell.

I've been on Scotlandspeople.gov and tried quite a few different search concoctions to no avail unfortunately, I have viewed some records that turned out to be the wrong people:

In an attempt to find Williams Birth Cert:
Dunlop, William (Statutory Births 597/00 0887) 1863 Kilmarnock - Wrong Parents
Dunlop, William (Statutory Births, 595/00 0117) 1863 Irvine - Wrong Parents

I tried a few years at either side, and a few different spellings to no avail.

I then tried to find Agnes McHarg using the same methods working back from Williams assumed year of birth. I found one possible but I am unsure as to how to verify its correct.
McHarg, Agnes (O.P.R Births 888/00 0020 0019 Kirkcowan) 1834 Kirkcowan near Stranraer making her about 29 when she had William.

I realise that I'm probably missing something really simple but I'm strugging to think of what to search for next. Any ideas? Is there a resource somewhere that has records of Coal Miners names?

Any help on this would be greatly appreciated. Similarly, if I can help anyone out please let me know :)

John Dunlop

AndrewP
Site Admin

Re: My GGG Grandfather John Dunlop

Post by AndrewP » Mon Jun 30, 2014 12:36 am

Hi John,

[TS_welcome]

I see one possibility for William of Ayr, c1863 - William McHarg, son of Agnes McHarg - according to the online IGI born 26-Jan-1862. Looks like his parents were not married at the time of William's birth, if this is the right one.

On a tenuous link from there, in the 1871 census, there is a William McHarg in his grandparents' household. There is an Agnes McHarg, daughter of the grandparents, who (if the age is wrong) could be the Agnes McHarg above. This Agnes McHarg (aged 26) married a John Gourlay in 1872. What do you think of the possibilities? It may take a bit of proving, or disproving.

All the best,

AndrewP

nelmit

Post by nelmit » Tue Jul 01, 2014 10:23 am

I agree with Andrew that he was born William McHarg.

You could try contacting http://www.ayrshirearchives.org.uk/ to see if they have Kirk Session records for St Quivox in January 1862. This would hopefully confirm who his father was.

Regards,
Annette

joette
Global Moderator

Post by joette » Wed Jul 09, 2014 7:50 pm

I have Agnes McQuath in my tree but she is living Girvan and as far as I know is born there.My GGGreat-grandmother Robina Ross nee McDowall-mother Agnes McQuath or McHarg had a William Hodge lodging with her in Greenock in the 1901(?) Census. Will have a look at dates places connections and get back.I have never really found anything further on Agnes..excepting moving forward. ](*,) ](*,)
Researching:SCOTT,Taylor,Young,VEITCH LINLEY,MIDLOTHIAN
WADDELL,ROSS,TORRANCE,GOVAN/DALMUIR/Clackmanannshire
CARR/LEITCH-Scotland,Ireland(County Donegal)
LINLEY/VEITCH-SASK.Canada
ALSO BROWN,MCKIMMIE,MCDOWALL,FRASER.
Greer/Grier,Jenkins/Jankins

joette
Global Moderator

Post by joette » Wed Jul 09, 2014 8:31 pm

David hodge(her sister Agnes's son) was Robina's lodger in 1901 Govan they had moved from Greenock by 1891. I can't find the Census must be 1851 where Robina is living with her Mother sister Agnes & brothers.I think Agnes had two or three Hodge sons and maybe three daughters several died in childhood.If only I could get into my Ancestry tree....Long story...
Researching:SCOTT,Taylor,Young,VEITCH LINLEY,MIDLOTHIAN
WADDELL,ROSS,TORRANCE,GOVAN/DALMUIR/Clackmanannshire
CARR/LEITCH-Scotland,Ireland(County Donegal)
LINLEY/VEITCH-SASK.Canada
ALSO BROWN,MCKIMMIE,MCDOWALL,FRASER.
Greer/Grier,Jenkins/Jankins