James Black b Coldstream

Looking for Scottish Ancestors

Moderator: Global Moderators

nelmit

Re: James Black b Coldstream

Post by nelmit » Mon Apr 27, 2015 7:40 pm

ALSmum wrote:Thanks Andrew, but his father was Alexander Black and his mother Rachel Black ms Wallace .
I think Andrew was trying to find a likely candidate for the death of the James Wallace/Black who lived at Garscadden when he left the army.
Andrew I don't think that is him as there appears to be a family.

I am leaning more and more towards this man being your ancestor ALSmum and will try to find something that would confirm.

Regards,
Annette

AnneM
Global Moderator

Post by AnneM » Tue Apr 28, 2015 9:46 pm

Hi Annette

I find the army pension record a bit confusing as it says he was discharged in 1915 aged 48 at which time he would actually have been 60. Do you think someone would have stayed in the Army to that age? Given the age on enlistment it otherwise looks a good possibility .

Anne
Anne
Researching M(a)cKenzie, McCammond, McLachlan, Kerr, Assur, Renton, Redpath, Ferguson, Shedden, Also Oswald, Le/assels/Lascelles, Bonning just for starters

AnneM
Global Moderator

Post by AnneM » Tue Apr 28, 2015 10:39 pm

I've tried comparing the signatures on the enlistment record with the birth certificates of Rachel and Alexander but have not come to a conclusion. On the enlistment record James has an open topped a which can't be seen on the birth records but the comparative size of the letters is about the same....difficult.

Alexander, the father of James is in Morebattle in 1901 but that does not remove the possibility that he is the father referred to.

if this James Wallace is not James Black it is possible that he was not born as James Wallace but was illegitimate and registered under his mother's name and subsequently used his father's or even step-fathers.

Anne
Anne
Researching M(a)cKenzie, McCammond, McLachlan, Kerr, Assur, Renton, Redpath, Ferguson, Shedden, Also Oswald, Le/assels/Lascelles, Bonning just for starters

nelmit

Post by nelmit » Tue Apr 28, 2015 11:20 pm

AnneM wrote:Hi Annette

I find the army pension record a bit confusing as it says he was discharged in 1915 aged 48 at which time he would actually have been 60. Do you think someone would have stayed in the Army to that age? Given the age on enlistment it otherwise looks a good possibility .

Anne
My head's too sore to continue this tonight but tomorrow I'm going to print out that army pension record and the next 3 after it to compare.

I think there is a wee mix up of the records because you are right about the age and if you look at the next couple of James Wallace pension records then they are for a man born 1867 at Kirkintilloch who lived at 62 Third Row Garscadden. :? I have looked at his marriage entry to Esther Bunting.

So as far as I can make out the page that gives the discharge address is not part of the record of the James Wallace who says he was born at Coldstream in 1855 with a father's name of Alexander but that of James Wallace who was born at Kirkintilloch in 1867 and married to Esther Bunting. Somebody at Ancestry has the 1911 census showing them living at 62 Third Row.

I'll print the records off anyway and get my Sherlock hat on tomorrow.

Well spotted Anne. :)

Regards,
Annette

ALSmum

Post by ALSmum » Wed Apr 29, 2015 4:18 pm

Just want to say thanks to you all. I`m just read all your replies; I can`t take it in at the moment !!
I`ll be back later, thanks again.

AnneM
Global Moderator

Post by AnneM » Thu Apr 30, 2015 7:51 pm

Hi Annette

I think the James Wallace born in Coldstream was discharged in 1901. Perhaps he stayed in South Africa (if he was there). That would account for any disappearance. My understanding of the record suggests that this James was in the Army before. Is there any evidence that James Black was ever a soldier?

Anne
Anne

nelmit

Post by nelmit » Thu Apr 30, 2015 10:29 pm

Anne..I printed out the army records and decided the first 4 pages relate to our man and the rest to the one from Garscadden - and yes I agree that he only stayed in the army for one year.....
but thanks to Ina and some free credits I took a chance on a James Wallace who died at Kelso in 1911.............it is most definitely the James Black we've been looking for. :)
He died at Kelso Poorhouse where he omitted to tell them about his 2nd wife. He gave his parents names as Alexander Wallace and Rachel Black.

Regards,
Annette

ALSmum

Post by ALSmum » Fri May 01, 2015 3:40 pm

Annette , thanks for this., it`s marvellous that you have found him.I have sent you a pm.

How ironic that he should die in Kelso Poorhouse, where his disregarded wife died in 1908. He was a bit naughty to transpose his parents surnames; he obviously didn`t want to be found.
Adam thought he was an orphan when his mother died and went to England where he is on the 1911 Census.

Thanks to everyone who`s contributed

ALSmum

Post by ALSmum » Fri May 01, 2015 6:32 pm

Here`s an odd thing; I`ve just taken a look at I think the first page of James Wallace`s record ( I didn`t get them all via the link form Anc ) and the list of members of the household James Wallace 44 Alexr,. If it`s James`s eldest son, on his record 1899 he syas father`s address unknown. Umm

AnneM
Global Moderator

Post by AnneM » Sun May 03, 2015 6:33 pm

Nice one Annette. I think that James was a very naughty boy and appears to have come by his just deserts!! Who was the informant on his DC? Someone from the poorhouse?

Anne
Anne