Mystery Monro of Ross Shire

Looking for Scottish Ancestors

Moderator: Global Moderators

Mamsoth

Mystery Monro of Ross Shire

Post by Mamsoth » Tue Aug 23, 2016 6:33 pm

Hello everyone, I'm trying to trace my 6th Great Grammy Margaret Monro. She marries Grampa Joseph Portman in 1802, The marriage takes place at Josephs house for some reason (366 Castlehill Edinburgh). It is from this marriage record (and the birth records of her two girls) that I can infer a very rough date of around 1780 for her birth.

She is listed as being of the parish of St Andrews along with Joseph. Her fathers first name is conspicuously absent, not sure why that would be, but as you can see, he was a farmer from Ross Shire, the parish of Logie. Also he has died at some point before 1802. I've hit a brick wall with this one, can anybody help?

Thanks for having a look :)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

AndrewP
Site Admin

Re: Mystery Monro of Ross Shire

Post by AndrewP » Tue Aug 23, 2016 7:21 pm

Hi Mamsoth,

[TS_welcome]

On looking at birth (baptism) records on http://www.scotlandspeople.gov.ukfor a Margaret Munro, in either parish Urquhart & Logie Wester, or Logie Easter, from 1760 to 1785, there are six results. There is nothing to favour any one of them; or it may be that there is no surviving record, so is none of them.

Unless any other document or a monumental inscription (headstone) should come to light, this looks very like a dead end.

All the best,

AndrewP

Mamsoth

Post by Mamsoth » Thu Aug 25, 2016 11:13 am

Thanks for the reply andrew. I think i will have to put this one on the back burner for the time being. Ive got alot of other Scottish Ancestors that I'm interested to find out about in the mean time. :)

nelmit

Post by nelmit » Thu Aug 25, 2016 5:31 pm

No help at all but the 1841 census gives her birth year as between 1787-1791.

From FREECEN-

Piece: SCT1841/685 Place: Edinburgh -Midlothian Enumeration District: 3
Civil Parish: Edinburgh Ecclesiastical Parish, Village or Island: -
Folio: 187 Page: 1
Address: -

Surname First name(s) Sex Age Occupation Where Born Remarks
PORTMAN Joseph M 50 Spirit Dealer Overseas - Foreign
PORTMAN Margaret F 50 Outside Census County (1841)
PORTMAN Margaret F 20 Midlothian

Then again with a marriage in 1802 it does make her very young.

Regards,
Annette