George Millar McNeil - Paisley 1881

Looking for Scottish Ancestors

Moderator: Global Moderators

darylrodger

George Millar McNeil - Paisley 1881

Post by darylrodger » Sat Mar 04, 2017 7:05 pm

Hi,

I'm trying to find my 2 x great uncle George Millar McNeil b. 1 Nov 1861 in Paisley to George McNeil & Mary Millar.
I've found him in the 1881 census in Paisley as a tailor living at 5 Bridge St. with his family but he disappears after that.

Can anyone help ?

Thanks,

Daryl

Currie

Re: George Millar McNeil - Paisley 1881

Post by Currie » Mon Mar 06, 2017 8:20 pm

Hello Daryl,

I thought I was onto something for a while and that he had moved to Australia. I found an entry in a 1885 Sydney directory for a George McNeil, tailor, living at 105 Duke Street. I next found an 1897 death notice in the Sydney Morning Herald for a George McNeil, tailor, age 36, of 128 Duke Street, husband of Maggie McNeil. http://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/artic ... 2F14094223

That looked promising until I checked the NSW BDM index and found that his parents were recorded as Hector and Mary. https://familyhistory.bdm.nsw.gov.au/li ... /result?58

They seem to have had 8 kids in Sydney between 1885 and1897. I couldn't find a record of his birth, marriage, or arrival, in NSW, but maybe that happened in one of the other Australian Colonies (States).

Apart from the above, FMP has a Geo McNeil , born 1861, leaving Greenock in 1901 for New York. According to the Ellis Island site he travelled on the City of Rome and was from Boness.

Hope there's something useful there.

Alan

darylrodger

Re: George Millar McNeil - Paisley 1881

Post by darylrodger » Sun Mar 26, 2017 11:37 am

Hi Alan,

Thanks for looking those possible matches for George.

I had a look at the links you mentioned but sadly don't think it's my George unfortunately. His parents were George & Mary (Millar).
I do think he either immigrated overseas or died somewhere other than Scotland. It's strange that I can't find any immigration records for him
leaving the UK though.

I'll just need to find other sources for ship's passenger lists to try and find him.

Thanks again.

Daryl