Frasers of Rescivet around chapel of garioch

Looking for Scottish Ancestors

Moderator: Global Moderators

Melc

Frasers of Rescivet around chapel of garioch

Post by Melc » Mon May 08, 2017 12:38 am

Hello
New to this site so not really sure what I'm doing lol
Here goes anyway, have come a cropper with my last rellie, he is a William Fraser of Rescivet
Father of Charles Fraser born 1768 no mother mentioned on birth cert but witnessed by a William Alexander who was a blacksmith there
Charles married Helen Jameson/jamieson and had five children
Found him in the 1841 census still living in Rescivet with his son Patrick Fraser married to Margaret smith and their children and a George Ross aged 7 listed as well??
Can find no marriage or death certificate for anyone?? Like they just fell off the planet lol
Did this place Rescivet/ Resthivet have its own records somewhere maybe or belong to a big house or castle farm or something
Is there anyone out there can shed some light...
Would be so great to discover more
My old mother(84) would like to know if we have roots back to the Lovat line of Frasers
I'm thinking it might be down an illegitimate path!
Any help would be much appreciated as we are in Australia and Internet can only do so much
Thank u 😁

Currie

Re: Frasers of Rescivet around chapel of garioch

Post by Currie » Tue May 09, 2017 9:36 am

Hello Melc,

Unfortunately Chapel of Garioch did not record deaths or burials between 1787 and 1855 except for one in 1850. Maybe there will be Monumental Inscriptions for the Frasers available somewhere. https://familysearch.org/wiki/en/Chapel ... _Genealogy

I think you meant to say the 1851 census when George Ross, age 7, was present. There's a John Joss, age 20, at the farm in 1841, maybe that's his father mistranscribed.

There are numerous notices in the Aberdeen Journal of farms, including Resthivet, to be let. The earliest, dated April 25, 1810, is for Mains of Inveramsay, Silverstrind, Legatsden, and Resthivet, described as being part of the Estate of Inveramsay, situated in the parish of Chapel Garioch. The four farms adjoined each other. It goes on to describe the grounds and its use, and that Charles Fraser at Inveramsay would show the grounds.

From about 1822 Charles Fraser, who would point out the boundaries, is at Resthivet. By the 1840s Charles Fraser at Resthivet is being described as the Ground Officer on the Estate. The last advertisement that mentions Charles Fraser of Resthivet is that dated March 17, 1852.

On December 20 and 27, 1854, there's an advertisement wanting Contractors to cut drains at Resthivet, occupied by Widow Fraser.

There were very few Frasers in Chapel of Garioch. You only need to search for just the surname in that parish at ScotlandsPeople or FreeCen to find them. In 1861 at FreeCen Charles and Helen are missing, presumably deceased. Margaret, wife of Patrick, in now the farmer, and a widow. Son Charles is married to a Christian with two kids.

In1881 at ScotlandsPeople Margaret, age 69, is still farming the 44 acres at Resthivet with three unmarried children. Margaret appears to have died there 1895 age 83.

To access 19th Century Newspapers and much more get a library card from NLA http://www.nla.gov.au/getalibrarycard/ also try your State Library.

Hope that helps,
Alan

Melc

Post by Melc » Sun May 28, 2017 7:00 am

Thank you so much for that info
We are really not very computer literate people so struggle a bit with finding sites and info
Just luck that we stumble across stuff
Have tried to find gravestones but no one seems to have any free sites and deceased online have no records
Have found Patrick and wife Margaret in Daviot Kirkland but no Charles or Helen
Can I get one of those library cards from Australia ?
We are struggling to find any info at all on Charles father William guessing born around 1740s
None of the sites like Scotland people or ancestry have any records
Just come up 0 matches found
Your info was good reading ... It makes you feel like you get to know your ancestors a little and how they lived
So thank you for that
If u happen across any more info would love to hear it
Melc
Tasmania [cheers]

Currie

Post by Currie » Mon May 29, 2017 10:03 am

Hello Melc,

Here's the info about a NLA library card and how to apply.
https://www.nla.gov.au/getalibrarycard/

Best of luck,
Alan

jemerritt84

Post by jemerritt84 » Mon Aug 24, 2020 9:30 pm

Melc,

I am the Granddaughter of Flo Fraser.
William Fraser was my 4x Great Grandfather.

Thank you for this information.

I see this post was from 2017, have you found out any new information about William Fraser?

Jessi (Falk) Merritt

SarahND
Site Admin

Post by SarahND » Tue Aug 25, 2020 8:56 am

Hello Jessi and a warm [TS_welcome]

Melc has not signed into the forum since June of 2017 :( but with some luck and the same email address as before, a notification of your post might be received. Fingers crossed!

Best wishes,

Sarah