William John Green & Sarah Moore - Where Did They go ?

Looking for Scottish Ancestors

Moderator: Global Moderators

darylrodger

William John Green & Sarah Moore - Where Did They go ?

Post by darylrodger » Fri Jul 28, 2017 10:46 pm

Hi,

I'm trying to find out what happened to my 1st cousin 3 x removed Sarah Moore born circa 1860 in Tartaraghan, Armagh and her husband William John Green, born circa 1858 possibly in Armagh too. They married on 1 Dec 1882 at Scotstoun Pl, Renfrew, his parents were Thomas Green & Ann Gillespie. Sarah's parents were Martha Tedford & William Moore.

They had 3 children;

Thomas b. 1882 in Whiteinch, Partick
Henry b. 2 Feb 1883 in Scotstoun Pl, Renfrew
Annie b. 1885 in Renfrewshire

I've only found the 3 children in the 1891 Scottish census, living with their grandmother Martha Moore no mention of their parents. The Green family usually lived next door at 7 Scotstoun Pl.

Any suggestions ?

Thanks.

Daryl

WilmaM

Re: William John Green & Sarah Moore - Where Did They go ?

Post by WilmaM » Sat Jul 29, 2017 12:00 am

Lots of possible scenarios:
Deceased, scarpered, in prison, in hospital, back in Ireland.

No sign of them in other institutions census returns?

Have you followed the children via census and marriage etc? Do the parents reappear? Or are they marked as deceased on marriage certs.
I take it you haven't found death certs for either of them in Scotland.
What was the father's occupation? If a seaman or the like if anything had happened to his wife ( in Hosp or worse) the kids could be parked at Granny's while he was away.

There is a Sarah Jane Moore death in Renfrew 1885 aged 28, is she not yours?
Wilma

Currie

Post by Currie » Sat Jul 29, 2017 3:14 am

Deceased it was for both Wilma.

The Evening Telegraph (Dundee), Wednesday, August 08, 1888
"A painter, William John Green, was drowned in the Queen's Dock, Glasgow, yesterday morning. He was painting a vessel when he slipped into the water, and when taken out he was lifeless. Green, who was a widower, aged 35 years, resided at 6 Scotstoun Place, Whiteinch."

Alan

darylrodger

Post by darylrodger » Sat Jul 29, 2017 4:18 pm

Hi,

Yes, I've found both William & Sarah's death certs now. William drowned in Queen's Dock, Glasgow and Sarah died of bronchitis in 1885 in Whiteinch.
Their 3 children lived with their grandmother Martha Tedford (Moore) at 6 Scotstoun Pl, in 1891.

Thanks for your help :).

Regards,

Daryl

Elwyn 1

Post by Elwyn 1 » Sat Jul 29, 2017 8:09 pm

If it assists your research, Thomas Green’s marriage to Ann Gillespie was registered in Lurgan (Craigavon) on 14.11.1851. William Moore’s marriage to Martha Tedford was also registered there on 15.9.1854. You can view the original certificates on-line on the GRONI website, using the “search registrations” option:

https://geni.nidirect.gov.uk

You will need to open an account and buy some credits. It costs £2.50 to a view a certificate.
Elwyn