searching for Archie McFarlane

Looking for Scottish Ancestors

Moderator: Global Moderators

mullardoch

searching for Archie McFarlane

Post by mullardoch » Sat Jul 21, 2018 4:19 pm

I'm looking for an Archibald McFarlane ( spelling may be Mac ). born Bellfield, Dalguise, Perthshire. 1902. mother : Jessie McFarlane. He is on 1911 cencus living withhis gran , granfather and his auntie Cathie. sorry, nothing else known. can you help me past this brick wall.

nelmit

Re: searching for Archie McFarlane

Post by nelmit » Wed Jul 25, 2018 11:14 am

I wonder if his mother married and changed his name?

What year was Jessie born and what were her parents' names?

Regards,
Annette

WilmaM

Post by WilmaM » Wed Jul 25, 2018 12:35 pm

I think you do need to give us a little more information.

I have found an 8 year old Archie Macfarlane in Little Dunkeld Perhshire in 1911 .
Other names under the same Ref number are:
Grace 62 Hugh 65 Kate 20 - is that the family you have?

The 1901 Census for Clunie Perth shows:
Hugh 54, Grace 51 Ann 59 Catherine 10 Hugh 13 - no Jessie

There's a birth indexed for an Archibald McFarlane 1902 Clunie [Perth] - do you have that? that would give his mother's name [may not really be Jessie that's sometimes a shortened name] and maybe a father, plus an address or occupation.
Wilma

nelmit

Post by nelmit » Wed Jul 25, 2018 4:59 pm

Jessie is there in 1881 (and 1891) at Blair Atholl age 11 months with that family. There is a Jessie McFarlane born at Blair Atholl in 1880.

Regards,
Annette

mullardoch

Post by mullardoch » Sat Aug 25, 2018 8:00 pm

Hi, thanks for the replies . All the information you have supplied is correct. Jessie was born in 1880 ( Blair Atholl ) . She gave birth to Archibald 1902. Bellfield. Dalguise. ( father not declared ) . She married a David Malcolm in 1920. Archibald appears to have stayed with his Grandparents after Jessies marriage. will keep searching graveyards. It looks like I am going to hang around for the 1921 cencus records in 3 yrs time. Apologies for delay in getting back on this. Have been out of wi-fi signal area. thanks to all.

jgmills

Post by jgmills » Sun Aug 26, 2018 12:28 am

Have you searched for a marriage for Archibald? There is one in Perth in 1923 to a Catherine Callum, but if you look throughout Scotland there are 44 between 1920 and 1940, so too many to check out, but if the 1923 is right, you can then look for the death of the wife, and see if she is recorded as married to or widow of Archibald. that will narrow his death down.

Have you thought about him moving to other parts of UK or even overseas, and checked passenger lists?

When searching I used wildcards for the surname M*CF*L*N*, that returned Macfarlane and Mcfarlane.

John

mullardoch

Post by mullardoch » Thu Nov 29, 2018 8:05 pm

Hi John, sorry about being so slow in replying. Have checked this marriage record. wrong Archie. I only came across him through cencus for 1911. And then I got birth record . his mother Jessie was my grandfathers younger sister. I contacted a relation in N.Z who didn't know of him iether, and she in turn got in touch with her wider family up Blairgowrie way. There is still an old cousin who remembered Archie, but his memory is vague as far as giving us any more info'. I'm getting nothing on him as to marriage , death , from Scotlands People. same with service records. It's bugging me a bit, but I'm hoping someone will spot this thread from his descendants. Thanks, Hugh.

mullardoch

Post by mullardoch » Mon Mar 29, 2021 8:59 am

Hi, still searching and getting zilch. I said Archie was born at Dalguise ( in my original post) , he wasn't . He was born at Cato ? in Clunie ( Perthshire ) . When travel restrictions are lifted
( covid 19 ), I am going back over to Dunkeld / Dalguise to check -out some thoughts.

AndrewP
Site Admin

Post by AndrewP » Mon Mar 29, 2021 7:15 pm

On looking at the online OS maps at Clunie parish, Perthshire, the nearest that I can see to Cato are the following: Craigton, Craigie, Craigend and Cairns. Do any of these look like possibilities for a match to the Cato that you have seen, I am guessing on a hand-written document.

https://maps.nls.uk/view/74400804

https://maps.nls.uk/view/74400812

All the best,

AndrewP

mullardoch

Post by mullardoch » Fri May 07, 2021 10:33 pm

Hi Andrew, thanks but it is most definately Cato. I had a drive around the Clunie area, but did not find it. Perhaps erased years ago , after all birth was 120yrs ago. But I am going to persist with my search, but I am thinking he must have emigrated , 1921 census records released next year might give me a better shot at the goal. Thanks again, Hugh.