Francis Laird

Looking for Scottish Ancestors

Moderator: Global Moderators

donlaird

Francis Laird

Post by donlaird » Sat May 02, 2020 7:32 am

Francis Laird Nov 12, 1856 Clackforbie, Parish of King Edward, Aberdeen, Scotland. I am a descendant wanting to know information of clan, history etc

SarahND
Site Admin

Re: Francis Laird

Post by SarahND » Sat May 02, 2020 9:31 am

Hello donlaird and a warm [TS_welcome]
Tell us what information you already have and we will try to help you add to it. Do you have his birth record and census records? How about his parents? At a glance in the 1861 census they look to be Francis Laird born abt 1833 in Gamrie, Banff and Mary Simpson born about 1834 in New Deer. Let us know where you would like to go from there.

Best wishes,
Sarah

donlaird

Post by donlaird » Sun May 03, 2020 1:57 am

Sarah, I’m sorry I have nothing prior, I only know his history once he came to Australia. I’m keen to learn as much as I can about my Scottish Ancestry and need some guidance as to where I should look. Francis had four sons, one of them Donald was my Grandfather.
Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

WilmaM

Post by WilmaM » Sun May 03, 2020 10:54 am

So tell us Don, where did you find his birth information?
When did he come/go to Australia? With his family or alone?

Then we can fill in the blanks and point you in the right directions.

Looking on Scotland's people is your first port of call to confirm those birth details . the record will give you have parents name and address possibly a date of marriage too. Then you can check for census records, on SP or on freecen.

We are more than happy to help you once we have all the information that you have,
Wilma

donlaird

Post by donlaird » Mon May 04, 2020 4:50 am

Francis father is:
1861 Cencus
Francis Laird 28 Crofter of 15 Acres, born Camrie, Banffshire wife Mary 27.
Sons Alexander 7, Francis 4, John 2 and daughter Jessie 1.

It is my Great Grandfather then aged 4 who traveled to Australia, I’m not sure if he was married when he traveled or married when he arrived but he married Louisa Jane Devlin Apr 9, 1871.

SarahND
Site Admin

Post by SarahND » Mon May 04, 2020 9:57 am

he married Louisa Jane Devlin Apr 9, 1871
I think there is a typo here, as he surely didn't marry at age 14!

In the Australia, Marriage Index, 1788-1950 database on Ancestry.com there is a marriage for Louisa Devlin and Frank Laird in 1900 in Sydney, NSW. This was fairly late in life for a first marriage, so I searched on scotlandspeople.gov.uk to see if he was married previously.

Sure enough, it looks like he first married Margaret Bain in Rothiemay, Banff on 3 Jan 1880. He was a joiner. Father Francis Laird, Farmer. Mother Mary Laird M.S. Simpson

In the Australia, Death Index, 1787-1985 (on Ancestry.com) Francis Laird died 20 Oct 1932 in Queensland, father’s name Francis, mother’s name Mary Simpson, so it looks like this is indeed the same one.

Best wishes,
Sarah

WilmaM

Post by WilmaM » Mon May 04, 2020 11:03 am

In the Australia, Death Index, 1787-1985 (on Ancestry.com) Francis Laird died 20 Oct 1932 in Queensland, father’s name Francis, mother’s name Mary Simpson, so it looks like this is indeed the same one.
Using Sarah's information as a jumping off point:

1861 census on Freecen has the family at Clayforbie in The King Edward parish of Bannffshire
[Lovely part of the world I drive through it en route to the coast on holiday, old map has the area here :https://maps.nls.uk/geo/explore/#zoom=1 ... yers=5&b=3 ]

Father Francis Laird, I looked for him in 1851 - a farm servant aged 18 still in the area, the 1841 census had him aged 8 living with his parents:
Piece: SCT1841/155 Place: Gamrie -Banffshire Enumeration District: 4
Civil Parish: Gamrie Ecclesiastical Parish, Village or Island: -
Folio: 4 Page: 10
Address: Cushnie

Surname First name(s) Sex Age Occupation Where Born Remarks
LAIRD Alexander M 45 Farmer Banffshire
LAIRD Mary F 45 Banffshire
LAIRD Mary F 15 Banffshire
LAIRD George M 15 Banffshire
LAIRD Peter M 10 Banffshire
LAIRD Francis M 8 Banffshire

Cushnie isn't far from Clayforbie

I checked the OPR Index on SP and found an Alexander Laird married Mary Morrison in Dec 1815 in Macduff & Gamrie.
That Couple went on to have several children between 1816 - John and 1832 Francis. [according to the OPR Index on SP]

So there's a few things to go and investigate for yourself.
Do check the original documents on Scotland's People, for confirmation of the suppositions I've made. the Statutory records are from 1855, The Old parish [ OPR] date before that point. The census 1841 - 1911 are all there too, I use Freecen to check the older ones first then pay for the official ones which have more information usually.
The map link will help you find the places and get a feel for the geography.

Have fun and Happy Hunting.
Wilma

donlaird

Post by donlaird » Tue May 05, 2020 12:57 am

Thank you Sarah