Thomas Scott, Sanquhar, Gardener at Drumlanrig Castle

Looking for Scottish Ancestors

Moderator: Global Moderators

Geoff Bates

Thomas Scott, Sanquhar, Gardener at Drumlanrig Castle

Post by Geoff Bates » Wed Dec 23, 2020 2:32 am

Hi,

My 6 x great grandfather Thomas Scott (1737 - 1787), is buried in the Sanquhar Kirkyard. His headstone states that he was the gardener at Drumlanrig. He married Mary Foulis (or Fowlis) in Coylton, Ayrshire in 1765. I haven't been able to work out who his parents were, but I know a bit about his immediate family. His daughter Mary Scott (my 5 x great grandmother) married James Cook and they lived in Townfoot Sanquhar, as did many of the siblings including John Scott of Flowerbank. Another sibling Charles Scott, had a plantation in Jamaica where he had several slaves under his control.

According to her will in 1830, Mary Scott (Thomas' wife) acquired land in the Main Street Sanquhar, from the Duke of Queensberry. I don't know if this was because Thomas was related to the Duke or whether the family were just owed something from the Duke.

If anyone is related to the Scott's of Sanquhar, and/or may be able to help me trace Thomas' parentage, that would be greatly appreciated.

Geoff

grendlsmom

Re: Thomas Scott, Sanquhar, Gardener at Drumlanrig Castle

Post by grendlsmom » Wed Dec 23, 2020 3:48 pm

In my tree:

I have a Thomas Scott, born 17 Dec. 1804 Kirkconnel by Sanquhar, parents another Thomas Scott and Ruth Lindsay. Married 1826 Mary Goodwin, Sanquhar.

Only one child found - Ratchel (sic) born 5 Jan. 1827, Sanquhar. Thomas must have died quite young, because in 1834 Mary (nee Goodwin) Scott married James Brown (my ancestor) at Kirkconnel by Sanquhar, she is described as "widow" on the marriage certificate. So I'm not really related to Thomas Scott, (or Mary Goodwin as James Brown also married again after Mary's death and my ancestors are from that marriage). However this info might help a little.

Grendlsmom.

Geoff Bates

Post by Geoff Bates » Tue Jan 19, 2021 4:35 am

Thank you for your help. It doesn't appear to be the same family that I am researching, but I will see how things pan out as this info could be helpful later.
Regards
Geoff

John G. Scott

Post by John G. Scott » Mon Nov 15, 2021 8:43 am

Hi Geoff

I writing regarding the posts you made on the Scott's of Sanquhar.

I am descendant of Thomas Scott, who is referred to by the attorney Charles Scott (his Uncle) as being the son of John and living in Duckenfield, Jamaica. Thomas fathered an Edward Scott with Rebecca Duany (Duaney) and Edward came to reside in Newcastle, Australia in the 1860s.

I would be interested in exchanging any information on this family.

All the best

John Scott

Geoff Bates

Post by Geoff Bates » Wed Apr 20, 2022 7:42 am

Hi John,

Great to hear from you. I have some info to share about the Scotts. My email is batesgn@bigpond.com if you want to discuss.

Geoff