Searching for a John Carruthers

Looking for Scottish Ancestors

Moderator: Global Moderators

LumiNorthumberland

Searching for a John Carruthers

Post by LumiNorthumberland » Sun Jan 23, 2022 8:05 pm

I'm looking for information of a John Carruthers. The only information I have is what was stated in 1921 census, which was year of birth 1882 and place of birth Canonbie, Dumfries-shire. He was in Haltwhistle, Northumberland in the 1921 census. So ideally I'm looking for his date of birth & parent's names & details of his whereabouts after leaving Haltwhistle & info of his death. But I can't find any information to help me out!! Hoping that someone can help?! Thanks.

SarahND
Site Admin

Re: Searching for a John Carruthers

Post by SarahND » Mon Jan 24, 2022 10:36 am

Hello LumiNorthumberland and a warm [TS_welcome]

Here's one possibility for why you can’t find him in a census in Scotland:

Queensland, Australia, Passenger Lists, 1848-1912

Name: John Carruthers
Birth Year: abt 1883
Place of Origin: Dumfries, Scotland
Ship Name: Jumna
Port of Arrival: Brisbane
Arrival Date: 13 Oct 1888

With him were:
James Carruthers age 29
Anne Carruthers age 32
Mary Carruthers age 3
David Carruthers age 1

James Carruthers married Annie Stewart in 1882 in Dryfesdale
John Stewart Carruthers was born in 1883 in Dryfesdale

Could he have mistaken his birthplace, because, for example, they had lived in Canonbie just before leaving Scotland?

These are all just guesses... you'd need to dig deeper and download the certificates to be sure.

Are there any more details from the 1921 census that might help in the search? What was his occupation? Did he have a family?

All the best,

Sarah

LumiNorthumberland

Post by LumiNorthumberland » Mon Jan 24, 2022 12:49 pm

Hi, his occupation was down as a miner at Plenmeller Colliery but out of work at the time.
He was definitely in Haltwhistle, Northumberland, from 1913 as I have found a newspaper article about a disturbance on a train .which he was named & living at the Main Street, Haltwhistle address. The newspaper archives don't have other information regarding him other than what was in the article.
I believe him be my Great Grandfather. My Grandma was born 1915 & her sister Ethel 1917, both I believe to be John Carruthers. He is not named on their birth certificates, however Carruthers is down on the certificate. The 1921 census shows he was living at the Main Street address, as a boarder, with my Great Grandma (Alice Armstrong/Porter), my Grandma & her sister. So he's been around for a few years. But where he was before this & after this is a mystery. My uncles weren't told much about him other than he was a border then moved down south?! However that could just be a red herring.

nelmit

Post by nelmit » Tue Jan 25, 2022 8:51 pm

This is a long shot -
1891 at Dumfries

Household Members Age Relationship
Benjamen Irving
62 Head
Mary Irving
59 Wife
Margaret Irving
3 Daur (Daughter)
Sarah Irving
28 Daur (Daughter)
David Irving
23 Son
Agnes Johnstone
13 Granddaur (Granddaughter)
Benjamen McCourtie
12 Grandson
John Carruthers 10 Grandson
Mar E Irving
8 Grand Daur (Granddaughter)
Maggie Crosbie
4 Grand Daur (Granddaughter)
Elizabeth Crosbie
2 Grand Daur (Granddaughter)

No John Carruthers birth at SP but there is a John Irving indexed in 1882.

There is also a John Irving registered in 1881 but I think he is the grandson of John and Ann.

Regards,
Annette

LumiNorthumberland

Post by LumiNorthumberland » Wed Jan 26, 2022 10:20 am

Thanks Annette, I found this a few weeks ago & have it noted down as a possibility. But wondered why are there so many grandchildren all with different surnames? I tried to look for further info but didn't get far. It's so frustrating!