George Sutherland Mackay (Born 26 April 1917 Aberdeen)

Looking for Scottish Ancestors

Moderator: Global Moderators

Pinemartin

George Sutherland Mackay (Born 26 April 1917 Aberdeen)

Post by Pinemartin » Sun Aug 06, 2023 3:44 pm

George was the son of Agnes McNab (Nee Walker) and Donald Roderick Mackay. Donald was killed 1 February 1918 in France. I am trying to trace George and Agnes after 1939 when they were on the electoral roll living at 20 Ashbridge Street, London. This address was empty on the 1939 Register. I have searched in vain for either a marriage or death for Agnes (Born 28 Feb 1886 in Glasgow) or George. I have looked both in Scotland, England, USA and Canada. Any help would be most appreciated.

Pinemartin

WilmaM

Re: George Sutherland Mackay (Born 26 April 1917 Aberdeen)

Post by WilmaM » Tue Aug 08, 2023 1:41 pm

I'm afraid I'm not having any joy either.
George Sutherland MacKay is not an uncommon name - some famous some infamous! but none of the notable match in age.

As he would have been of military call-up age, in 1939 he could be almost anywhere!
FindMypast does have 1 serviceman of the correct age:
First name(s) George Sutherland
Last name Mackay
Service number 1151199
Regiment The Royal Regiment Of Artillery
Year 1942
Original source Royal Artillery Attestations 1883-1942
There is no further information on him, but there's equally no mention of him on the CWGC site so he may have survived the war.

No evidence of her dying in Scotland, and sadly English death records don't record maiden names so too many options there.

Don't forget the MacKay/ McKay variation as well.

What is your connection to them? are they a side branch that you are looking at , or are they possible direct ancestors?
Sometimes knowing all the leads can help narrow things down.
Wilma