Granny shoved aff bus?.....

Looking for Scottish Ancestors

Moderator: Global Moderators

AndrewP
Site Admin

Post by AndrewP » Sat Feb 25, 2006 3:42 pm

For deciphering purposes, the image is back in the Gallery.

http://talkingscot.com/gallery/displayi ... p?pos=-408

I will go for
  • Patrick Gibbons Head Mar 36 Hammerman Lanarkshire Glasgow
    Helen D° Wife Mar 31 Midlothian Edinburgh
    Catherine D° Dau 8mo Lanarkshire Glasgow
    Edward Son 2
    John Hamilton Stepson 8 Scholar D°
    George D° D° 11 D° D°
    William D° D° 13 D° D°

Next House

John Kelly Head Mar 55 Hawker Ireland
    Catherine D° Wife Mar 54 D°
    Elizabeth D° Dau S 23 TobaccoWorker Lanarkshire Glasgow
    Catherine D° Dau S 25 FurWorker D°
    Helen Hamilton Granddau 6 Scholar D°
After the comments above, I agree that Elizabeth Kelly's age is 23 and not 28 as I said earlier. But I will stay with Helen Gibbon's birthplace as Midlothian Edinburgh (scored through for summary counting purposes, as with all non-Lanarkshire birthplaces on this page).

All the best,

Andrew Paterson

Tusker

Post by Tusker » Sat Feb 25, 2006 3:47 pm

Lesley -- You have every right to be confused. They're supposedly my family and they confuse me :lol:

OK....ELIZABETH Kelly (my Granny) married James Adams on 28 June 1901 in Hutchesontown, I have that marriage certificate. On that certificate it says her parents are John Kelly and Catherine Boyle (Oh, wait a minute! I see NOW why you're confused! *I* said I had no written proof that her mother was Catherine Boyle. Sorry, my mistake. I'd forgotten Liz's marriage license! :oops: ). Maybe Liz was so excited that she forgot her Mom's maiden name, and Mom and\or Dad weren't at the wedding, to ask them?

"Looking back at the 1881, if Ellen/Helen is of this family and she married Mr Gibbons and is in the 1901 as born Midlothian (which fits) aged 31 - where is she in 1881?"

I guess going by her age in 1901 (31) she'd have been about 11 in 1881, but as you say, she isn't shown. Maybe she was with her grandparents or elsewhere? Mary-Ellen? That's a definite possibility. I'll have to check for a birth certificate for Ellen and Mary (or Mary-Ellen) around 1870. She'd be about 22 in in the 1891 census, so she could have been a sister of Ellen's and was married herself and living with her hubby, elsewhere. Or maybe she died?

For example, in 1891 census, there's a grandaughter Helen Hamilton (age 6) shown with John and Catherine (Ellen's parents). Ellen is shown in her own house with Mr Gibbons and the rest of the brood, while her daughter (Helen Hamilton) spends some quality time with Granny Elizabeth and Granda John.

....Interesting.....
Researching Adams & Kelly 1850+, particularly in Hutchesontown/Gorbals area of Glasgow.

Jack

Post by Jack » Sat Feb 25, 2006 3:52 pm

You're right Andrew,
I was working from memory of 2 hrs ago... :oops: when i said Lanarkshire was scored thru.
What i should've said, is that it looked like "Mid" had been inserted above Lothian (which had been scored thru).
Jack

LesleyB

Post by LesleyB » Sat Feb 25, 2006 4:04 pm

I'm so pleased for you Tusker that this seems to have sorted itself out, with help from everyone pitching in. Brilliant that Frances just happened to be related to the same family! ! \:D/ This seems to happen here quite often on TS - it brings a whole new angle to that well known phrase "I kent yur faither"

I wonder where Boyle came from? Perhaps Annette's poorhouse applicaiton will shed some light on that.

And no much wonder that lot from the 1881 jumped out at me - they clearly wanted to be found really. They were just pretendin' to be obscure! :lol:

Best wishes
Lesley
Last edited by LesleyB on Sat Feb 25, 2006 4:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

AndrewP
Site Admin

Post by AndrewP » Sat Feb 25, 2006 4:10 pm

How about this birth on the IGI which should also be on ScotlandsPeople.

HELEN KELLY, born 23 AUG 1867 Edinburgh, Midlothian
Parents: John Kelly and Catherine O'Ryelly

and the parents' marriage

JOHN KELLY and CATHERINE O'RYELLY
10 SEP 1866 Edinburgh, Midlothian

All the best,

Andrew Paterson

LesleyB

Post by LesleyB » Sat Feb 25, 2006 4:20 pm

Hi Andrew
So, if that is Ellen/Helen (and it looks likely) she would have been 13 for the 1881 census and so quite easily may not have been at home. She'd most likely be away working somewhere.

So we can wave bye-bye to my "Waltons" theory of "Mary-Ellen".

Best wishes
Lesley
Last edited by LesleyB on Sat Feb 25, 2006 8:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tusker

Granny Shoved Aff Bus?

Post by Tusker » Sat Feb 25, 2006 4:45 pm

The saga continues.......

Annette M says
"STOP THE BUS!!!!

Crack the Tunnocks!!!

She is the daughter of John and Catherine Reilly.

That is 100% correct from the poorhouse apps.

I'll be back later with details (my real life nephews have just descended upon me)."

Just as it appears that the mystery of the Adams dynasty has finally been solved and all the pieces have fallen into place, we can take it from Annette M's statement that Granny may be about to throw us a new curve ball. Poor house records?......Past experience has taught me not to find this unexpected. (The curve ball -- not the Poorhouse!)

Annette M seems confident, but will the winner of the the gently-used wally close, the bestselling book detailing how to convert your bagpipes into an assault rifle, AND the life-size photograph of a Tunnock's Caramel Wafer (not to even mention the highly-prized FREE one-year membership and possibly a seat on the board of the elite International Association of Hudgie-Stealers) FINALLY be revealed???.......Stay tuned for the completion of this breath-taking and exciting drama involving a 120-year-old Granny with itchy feet, and a talent for disguise that would put Inspector Clouseau to shame!......
Researching Adams & Kelly 1850+, particularly in Hutchesontown/Gorbals area of Glasgow.

paddyscar
Site Admin

Post by paddyscar » Sat Feb 25, 2006 7:23 pm

lbathgate wrote:Looking back at the 1881, ....
  • Dwelling: 376 Cumberland St
    Census Place: Govan, Lanark, Scotland
    Source: FHL Film 0203671 GRO Ref Volume 644-11 EnumDist 58 Page 22
    Marr Age Sex Birthplace
    John KELLY M 36 M Ireland
    Rel: Head
    Occ: Hawker
    Catherine KELLY M 33 F Ireland
    Rel: Wife
    Mary KELLY 12 F Edinburgh, Edinburgh, Scotland
    Rel: Daur
    Occ: Scholar
    John KELLY 10 M Edinburgh, Edinburgh, Scotland
    Rel: Son
    Catherine KELLY 6 F Glasgow, Lanark, Scotland
    Elizabeth KELLY 2 F Glasgow, Lanark, Scotland
From the above information previously sent to me by Andy (Gourock) on Nov 30, 2005, I was able to obtain my grandfather's (John Kelly) birth registration. GROS 685/03 0162 says that John, son of John Kelly and Catherine O'Reilly (m. 10 Sep 1866) were living at 259 Cowgate, Edinburgh.

I was able to find and read the registration of John & Catherine's marriage GROS 685/04 0213 which indicated John Kelly and Catherine O'Reilly were both born in Ireland. Their ages given on the marriage registry and the year of birth for John jived with the ages given for the family located at 376 Cumberland St in the 1881 census.

SP malfunctioned and did not registered that I gave my 5 credits to view the document, so I've not been able to view it again. My cache on the SP site registered my search:

You searched for: Male Surname: "KELLY"; Use Male Soundex: Off; Male Forename: "JOHN"; Female Surname: "O'REILLY"; Use Female Soundex: On; Female Forename: "CATHERINE*"; Year From: 1855; Year To: 1874;

Even with the spelling error in the index of SP, or in the document itself, there was only one return:

No Year Surname (M) Forename (M) Surname (F) Forename (F) District City/County/MR GROS Data Image Extract
1 1866 KELLY JOHN O'RYELLY CATHERINE ST GILES EDINBURGH CITY/MIDLOTHIAN 685/04 0213 VIEW (5 CREDITS) ORDER

Will look further in regard to the above record, once I've cleared the driveway of 2 feet of snow, providing I survive the effort :lol:

Thanks,

Frances
John Kelly (b 22 Sep 1897) eldest child of John Kelly & Christina Lipsett Kelly of Glasgow

nelmit

Post by nelmit » Sat Feb 25, 2006 7:28 pm

Frances,

Looks like Tusker is related to you. I've PM'd him with info from Poorhouse.
Hopefully he'll get back to us soon.

Annette M

LesleyB

Post by LesleyB » Sat Feb 25, 2006 7:58 pm

Hi Annette
Did the poorhouse application give any mention of the name Boyle? I just wondered if Catherine had been previously married or maybe born Boyle but brought up as O'Reilly or some other reason that the name Boyle was mentioned.

Best wishes
Lesley