JAMES @ EDMUND.....

Looking for Scottish Ancestors

Moderator: Global Moderators

jennovo

Re: JAMES @ EDMUND.....

Post by jennovo » Wed Mar 01, 2006 12:43 pm

Thank you Andy and once again, you also Jack.
My husband (James Campbell Overend IV, son is now V) thought his family went back to Ireland so I presume these are his. Mary Ann obviously had relatives in Scotland - as per those listed in the census who were born Edinburgh. I wonder why the family ended up in Ireland? Some advice please - Would you add them to your tree or wait for more information?
Jen
REID, FAIRGREIVE, RANKIN, HOGG, NIMMO, PORTEOUS, LOVE, SOMMERVILLE, DOUGLAS, OVEREND, CAMPBELL, WALLACE.

Jack

1881 - original page

Post by Jack » Wed Mar 01, 2006 11:06 pm

Hi Andrew,
I'd a look at the original 1881 page and i'm 99% sure the enumerator did write OVEREND.
Though saying that, at a glance i'd have though it was NEREND,
and unless it was known that it might be Overend, it's not surprising that the transcriber wrote Nerend.
There were only a few capital 'N's to compare, and these differed from the 1st letter(s) of "Nerend"
The 'O' wasn't a complete circle (think of a clock face with 10 to 3 missing), and it was joined up to the 'verend',
making it just look like a fancy 'N' to start the name.
--
Jen, who is it you're not too sure of adding to your tree?
--
Jack

jennovo

Post by jennovo » Thu Mar 02, 2006 10:54 am

Thank you Jack,
I was still unsure about the names (I had a mix up with Hoggs marrying Reids, Reids marrying Hoggs, and so on and so on......) when there are other Overend families in Lanark. Your confirmation of the 'Overend' name in the 1881 census has been wonderful.
Thank you all once again.
Jen.
REID, FAIRGREIVE, RANKIN, HOGG, NIMMO, PORTEOUS, LOVE, SOMMERVILLE, DOUGLAS, OVEREND, CAMPBELL, WALLACE.

Soniakirschen

Post by Soniakirschen » Sun Jan 07, 2018 5:07 am

Edmund Overend is my great grandfather married to Ann Hodge . My grandmother is georgina Overend. Then my great aunt is Euphemia Euphemia Vannan Overend (Cowan). My mother is Georgina Overend Fern . I have some of my relatives here in Canada.

Soniakirschen

Post by Soniakirschen » Fri Feb 16, 2018 8:32 am

Hello I'm great granddaughter Sonia sheena ( Overend) Kirschen to Edmund Campbell Overend (Nerend) Annie Hodge . E Campbell overend - Mary Minnoch is my GGGgrandmother from Belfast Ireland . Iam related to Betty, Maimie,Nancy ,Doris Overend Adams .Christine Overend-Dianna Douches . My grandmother is Georgina Overend Fern 1917-2011 from Maryhill, Glasgow Scotland . There are more I have great uncle ... Hugh , James ,Edmond , and Robert. I might have great aunts maybe Second or third cousins to some of you so i have been told by my mummy. I've moved around from various places.

SarahND
Site Admin

Post by SarahND » Fri Feb 16, 2018 10:06 am

Hello Sonia,

I see you never got an official [welcome] to [talkingscot] when you made your first post last month. It looks like Jen, the original poster, hasn't been on the forum since 2007 and probably doesn't know you have posted. We are glad you are here anyway and hope you can eventually get in touch!

Best wishes,
Sarah

Soniakirschen

Post by Soniakirschen » Fri Apr 06, 2018 6:51 am

Hullo to all the overend or Nerend Campbell charmer smith Adams Stewart Drummond Somerville Allen Hodge from Ireland to Scotland my mummy said she had cousins gone to Australia South Africa , USA and Canada. Iam great granddaughter ofEdmund Overend and the great great granddaughter of Edmund overend Nerend Campbell.

Soniakirschen

Post by Soniakirschen » Fri Apr 06, 2018 6:52 am

Hullo to all the overend or Nerend Campbell charmer smith Adams Stewart Drummond Somerville Allen Hodge from Ireland to Scotland my mummy said she had cousins gone to Australia South Africa , USA and Canada. Iam great granddaughter ofEdmund Overend and the great great granddaughter of Edmund overend Nerend Campbell. Text soniakirschen *AT hotmail.com

* Admin note: ampersand has been removed from the address to avoid detection by bots

Soniakirschen

Post by Soniakirschen » Fri Apr 06, 2018 7:48 am

Hello to everyone , my grandmother is Georgina overend (Nerend) . It is suppose to be Overend I have inherited the overend coat of arms from my Mum and from my great Aunt Euphemia (Effie) James was called Jacky , Hugh was hughie , Edmund was called Eddie , James = Jimmy Allen, all "ie "ended of their first names was because of the district they were in or the dialect . Great uncle Eddie was born on Halloween night October 31st and my great grandfather Edmund was born on April 4 th . I know this because my grandmother and my mummy talked about Easters and birthdays "celebration", and also Halloween and birthdays "celebration" ,most of 'their relatives included their children to gathered for this events. It was good times for the ladies and the gents . Iam going back approximately to the period 1920 to 1935 thereabouts . SoniaKirschen(insert at symbol)hotmail.com (edited by Admin to reduce spammers collecting address)

Soniakirschen

Post by Soniakirschen » Thu Apr 19, 2018 4:58 am

Overend - Campbell -Hodge -Smith -Fern -Strachan -Charlmers/ Somerville -Love -Allen those are the last names are related . and come from maryhill district, and Kelvinside district
Glasgow Scotland . (Era 1900--1917--1930-- great great uncle went to South Africa. Mum ' cousins went to Australia have the last name Overend. Submit Sonia Overend Kirschen