Waters/Kennedy.....

Looking for Scottish Ancestors

Moderator: Global Moderators

angel

Waters/Kennedy.....

Post by angel » Sun Feb 27, 2005 8:50 pm

Hi Everybody

I am looking for the parents of John Waters and his wife Margaret Kennedy. It is believed that they married 4 June 1847 I got this info from the LDS I have looked scotlandspeople and cannot find them. They married in Middle Greenock Renfrewshire Glasgow but they lived in Edinburgh and there Children were born there.

Many Thanks
Heather

nelmit

Re: Waters/Kennedy

Post by nelmit » Sun Feb 27, 2005 9:39 pm

angel wrote:Hi Everybody

I am looking for the parents of John Waters and his wife Margaret Kennedy. It is believed that they married 4 June 1847 I got this info from the LDS I have looked scotlandspeople and cannot find them. They married in Middle Greenock Renfrewshire Glasgow but they lived in Edinburgh and there Children were born there.

Many Thanks
Heather
You may have this but this is them on the 1881 census -

Dwelling: 2 Ronaldsons Wharf
Census Place: North Leith, Edinburgh, Scotland
Source: FHL Film 0224015 GRO Ref Volume 692-1 EnumDist 1 Page 2
Marr Age Sex Birthplace
John WATERS M 55 M North Leith, Edinburgh, Scotland
Rel: Head
Occ: Ship Carpenter
Margaret WATERS M 54 F Greenock, Renfrew, Scotland
Rel: Wife
Mary WATERS U 20 F South Leith, Edinburgh, Scotland
Rel: Daur
Occ: Marble Polisher
John WATERS 13 M South Leith, Edinburgh, Scotland
Rel: Son
Occ: Scholar
Margaret WATERS 2 F North Leith, Edinburgh, Scotland

There are a couple of likely births for John and Margaret on the IGI from this information.

Search Scotlands People for John and Margaret's deaths in Leith between 1881 and 1927, there are only a few, and hopefully one will be yours.

From the death entries you should get confirmation of the parents' names.

Good luck,

Annette M
Last edited by nelmit on Sun Feb 27, 2005 9:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

DavidWW

Re: Waters/Kennedy

Post by DavidWW » Sun Feb 27, 2005 9:46 pm

angel wrote:Hi Everybody

Many Thanks
Heather
Ain't it just annoying when someone gets merrit just before 1855 :!:

Means that alternative strategies have to be employed.

First let's have a look in the 1881 cnesus, which gives the near certain entry, in the light of the births of the kiddiwinkies from IGI of:

Dwelling: 2 Ronaldsons Wharf
Census Place: North Leith, Edinburgh, Scotland
Source: FHL Film 0224015 GRO Ref Volume 692-1 EnumDist 1 Page 2
Marr Age Sex Birthplace
John WATERS M 55 M North Leith, Edinburgh, Scotland
Rel: Head
Occ: Ship Carpenter
Margaret WATERS M 54 F Greenock, Renfrew, Scotland
Rel: Wife
Mary WATERS U 20 F South Leith, Edinburgh, Scotland
Rel: Daur
Occ: Marble Polisher
John WATERS 13 M South Leith, Edinburgh, Scotland
Rel: Son
Occ: Scholar
Margaret WATERS 2 F North Leith, Edinburgh, Scotland
Rel: Grand Daur

Sooo.. alive in 1881 ......... proceed smartly to scotlandspeople.gov.uk and do a death search from 1881 onwards with a bottom end age limit of 55. Take a flyer and restrict the search to Edinburgh City and you'll find him for 6 credits :!: in the same place as the kids were born. He's shown as married, so search from the year of death for his guidwife, again setting a lower age limit, and taking another flyer on Edinburgh City, but ca canny with the lower age limit. Again, it shouldn't cost you more than 5 credits to find her death, so that you now have both sets of parents.

Transfer across to the the LDS site and use an IGI parents search to look for kids for the parents of John. You'll find several, but not wee John, but the earliest will give you and idea of the minimum age of the father in 1855.

Go back to scotlandspeople.gov.uk, and search for death of the father, setting an appropriate lower age limit and again taking a flyer on Edinburgh City, and you'll find a probable death in the same parish. Unfortunately in the year concerned only the marital status was shown, not the spouse's name, but she was the informant and the name is very suggestive of this being the right link.

His wife is also there in that parish a few years later, via the same technique..... so that you now have the grandparents of John WATERS !!, and it shouldn't have cost you more than 30 credits \:D/

Will the same technique work for Margaret KENNEDY, - possibly but not cost effectively on scotlandspeople.gov.uk !!

Davie

JustJean

Post by JustJean » Sun Feb 27, 2005 10:10 pm

Hi Heather

Just in case you don't have a full tally of all the children of John and Margaret a parent search on the IGI turns up several....which also shows that there were a couple born in Dumbartonshire before they ever moved back to Leith where John had been born. Lucky for you there was a Robert in 1855 in Dumbartsonshire whose BC from SP fills out the tally even further.

Jean

angel

Waters/Kennedy - Thanks

Post by angel » Mon Feb 28, 2005 9:39 pm

Hi to Annette, Jean and Davie

Thanks for all the info you sent you were right I did have the 1881 census but I had not included the children born in dumbarton as I based my search in Edinburgh. But that now give me a problem as I now have 2 John Waters so I persume that one died and this and the cesus age gives me two possible dates of birth for the father. Oh well that just the way it goes.

Many Thanks to all
Heather

Jack

1851 census

Post by Jack » Fri Mar 04, 2005 5:56 pm

Hi Heather,

Here's the family in Dumbarton.
--
1851 cens 496 (389) Ed 6 p 30 (Dumbarton)
College St.
John WATERS, head, marr, 25, ship carpenter, b Leith, Edinburgh
Margaret WATERS, wife, 25, -------- b Greenock, RFW
Margaret WATERS, daur, 2, ------- b Leith
Thomas WATERS, brother, u/m 18, seaman, b Leith
--
Jack

angel

1851 Census - Thanks

Post by angel » Fri Mar 04, 2005 8:37 pm

Hi Jack

Thanks for the 1851 census That is something I did not have. I have a John Waters born 17 August 1851 ao I can only think that Margaret died. She is not mention in the 1881 census as I did a parent search on LDS and their is ni Mention of Margaret so that is news for me. Also news is Thomas the brother as I do not have the parents I cannot find the siblings that will give me something to wotk on.

Many Thanks
Heather

Jack

Post by Jack » Sat Mar 05, 2005 9:22 am

Hi Heather,

Following Annette, Davie, and Jean's advice you should be able to get both John & Margaret's parents (plus John's G-parents), and the BC of Robert in Dumbarton will say how many children Margaret had had by 1855.

The 1861 & 1871 Leith censuses would be useful - they'll give you the names of all the children still living in those years.

We have to remember that not all births (or marriages) were recorded in the OPRs - hence names can be missing; that's why censuses can sometimes help with them.

Wishing you success - Jack