New member looking for advice re. brick wall.....

Looking for Scottish Ancestors

Moderator: Global Moderators

Fergie

New member looking for advice re. brick wall.....

Post by Fergie » Wed May 10, 2006 3:06 pm

Hi everyone, not very experienced at genealogy but through SP got back to 1841 census for my Currie line. As my 78 year old mother has a pretty good memory for snippets of information her grandfather told her, they are quite an interesting bunch but that's another story. They were born around 1816. Hamilton Currie b. Scotland his wife Sarah (ms Begley) born Ireland. There 1st 2 or 3 children were born in Ayr or Ayrshire then 2 born in Greenock then they moved to Glasgow about 1843. The problem is they were Roman Catholic. The RC Church found 2 baptism entries for the ones born in Greenock but nothing else (no marriage) but the baptism entry would indicate they were married as the children were "lawful". Hamilton Currie died in Glasgow about 1851 as he was shown in the Trade Directories until then and after that Sarah is shown as a widow. Sarah changes her place of birth on later census to "Ayrshire, Stranraer" and I wonder if she did this to pretend she wasn't Irish - she moved to London to stay with one of her sons later on. She died in London but I don't know if it's worth sending for the death cert. As their children were born before 1855 I can't find birth entries. Other than writing to RC Churches can anyone think of any other resources I could try. Many thanks :?

LesleyB

Post by LesleyB » Sun May 14, 2006 11:00 am

Hi Fergie
I don't know much about RC records other than I know NAS ( www.nas.gov.uk ) hold photocopies of a number of registers of BM&Ds at RH21 - go to:
http://www.dswebhosting.info/NAS/dserve ... Search.tcl
and pop RH21 into the ref.no. box

I believe the Archdiocese of Glasgow hold most of the originals.
Hope this is of some help.
best wishes
Lesley
Last edited by LesleyB on Sun May 14, 2006 11:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
Researching:
Midlothian & Fife - Goalen, Lawrie, Ewart, Nimmo, Jamieson, Dick, Ballingall.
Dunbartonshire- Mcnicol, Davy, Guy, McCunn, McKenzie.
Ayrshire- Lyon, Parker, Mitchell, Fraser.
Easter Ross- McCulloch, Smith, Ross, Duff, Rose.

DavidWW

Post by DavidWW » Sun May 14, 2006 11:07 am

I seem to recall reading or hearing somewhere recently that the records normally with the Archdiocese of Glasgow are currently with NAS.

David

Fergie

New member - brick wall

Post by Fergie » Mon May 15, 2006 9:39 am

Thank you very much David and Lesley.

I guess a trip to NAS in Edinburgh is in order. I looked up the website and they have the records I want. According to website the historical search room is busier than usual because of work elsewhere in building so I think I'll go in June when hopefully work will be finished.

karen kozak

new member looking for advice..

Post by karen kozak » Fri Oct 06, 2006 2:35 pm

Fergie..in regards to your Sarah Begley?? I notice that you state a James Begley in London?? would you by chance know his parentage?? My James Begley seems to be AWOL!! cannot find him anywhere?? unless he is beneath my nose and I'm missing him??
I had another lady e-mail me in regards to a James Begley married a Isabella O'Neil approx 1912 in Shettleston glasgow?? now to find his parentage ?? I'm hoping maybe he would be a great grandson of my James Begley?? but then again?? who knows..fron what I can really find and also what talking scots found for me James was a sergeant in 1861 english census birth year seems right 1839 born in glasgow lanarkshire scotland civil parish aldershot, county- surrey country england. Medical department Lee and Aldershot camp.. maybe James stayed in England?? would this be your James also??? thanks Karen
my e-mail address is karenkozakAThotmail.com

Duplicate post deleted and email address amended for protection against spammers TD
am looking for John Begley and Isabella Mcarthur whom married in Dec 8 1836 in Neilston Renfrew Scotland, I've received the marriage bann and both at Kirktonfield in this parish... Thanks Karen

Fergie

Post by Fergie » Fri Oct 06, 2006 7:17 pm

Hi Karen.

If you read the postings again you will see that my James' surname was Currie. His parents were Hamilton Currie and Sara Begley.

Begley was the maiden name of his mother. He went to London as a young man from about 1860 and he was a sculptor to trade.

His mother Sara Begley was widowed around 1850 and I found her in the 1861 census for Lanarkshire living in a village about 15 miles out of Glasgow called Cambusnethan (Main Street) The family were in business in the city of Glasgow up till then and I thought it was strange that she had gone there and tried to carry on in business with some of her children. I presume she moved there to be nearer family members and I'll try to do some research there. Sara later moved to London to live with James and most of her family stayed around Glasgow. There are other Begleys in Cambusnethan at that time as someone else posting on this site mentioned the name and village/parish. I did contact them but no reply. It is an Irish name and there were quite a lot of Irish in that area as it was a mining area. If I turn up anything I'll contact you. It's just finding the time!!
Researching Currie, Glasgow, Ayr.
Clark, Sim, Fyvie
Bonnar, Trainer, McCafferty Glasgow, via Ireland.
McLaverty/Shannon/Harding Belfast & St. John,New Brunswick
Ferguson Ayrshire, Argyle, Glasgow
Honnan, Ireland, Dumfries,Glasgow

karen kozak

new member looking for advice..

Post by karen kozak » Fri Oct 06, 2006 7:37 pm

Hi

sorry about the confusion..my mistake..thanks for your information??your begley you wouldn't happen to know her siblings would u??
See my Begley I can and only know of the one?? John Begley born in Ireland around 1810?? but other than that nothing.. I haven't been able to locate any?? you wouldn't by chance happen to have a John in your tree?? hahahahah :roll: thanks Karen
am looking for John Begley and Isabella Mcarthur whom married in Dec 8 1836 in Neilston Renfrew Scotland, I've received the marriage bann and both at Kirktonfield in this parish... Thanks Karen

Fergie

Post by Fergie » Fri Oct 06, 2006 11:17 pm

Hi Karen, Sorry apart from Sara I don't have any other names but when I have time I will get into the Mitchell Library and look for some in Cambusnethan. I think Sara moved there for a reason and that it was probably to be nearer family. If I scroll through the 1861 census. I'll probably find Begleys there.

Sara changed her mind on the census a few times about her place of birth. From 1841 to 1902 it is shown as Ireland, Ayr, Stranraer, Wigton, Ayrshire, Scotland.

Will let you know if I find anything.
Researching Currie, Glasgow, Ayr.
Clark, Sim, Fyvie
Bonnar, Trainer, McCafferty Glasgow, via Ireland.
McLaverty/Shannon/Harding Belfast & St. John,New Brunswick
Ferguson Ayrshire, Argyle, Glasgow
Honnan, Ireland, Dumfries,Glasgow

Muggins

Re: New member looking for advice re. brick wall.....

Post by Muggins » Mon Mar 15, 2010 1:29 am

Hi Fergie -

Don't know if you're still checking here, but I saw your post and wanted to let you know that my great-great grandfather was a Hamilton Currie (wife named Sarah - don't know her maiden name). I have little info except on one of his sons (my great grandfather) who was John Bernard Currie (b. 1851). He may have had siblings, but I think he was the only one who moved to Canada.
All I know is that apparently both Hamilton and Sarah made the trip to Halifax N.S. to attend the wedding of John Bernard and his wife Mary Burke, in 1881.

Muggins

SarahND
Site Admin

Re: New member looking for advice re. brick wall.....

Post by SarahND » Sun Mar 21, 2010 9:35 pm

Hello Muggins,
It looks like your John B Currie born abt 1850 is also part of this family. He was the last child born before the father died. Here is the family in 1841 and 1851:

North Side Shaw St No 11, Greenock Middle, Renfrewshire
Hamilton Currie, 27, born Scotland, Draper
Sarah Currie, 24, born Ireland
James Currie, 6, born Scotland,
Ham Currie, 5, born Scotland,
Felix Currie, 1, born Renfrewshire
Maryanna Currie, 8, born Scotland,
Agnes Currie, 6 Mo, born Renfrewshire
Agnes Begley, 49, born Ireland
Agnes Begley, 14, born Ireland

5 Renfrew St, Barony, Lanarkshire
Sarah Currie, 35, Head, born Stranraer, Wigton, Clothes & Furniture Broker
Mary Ann Currie, 17, Daughter, born Ayr, Ayrshire, P Brokers Shop Keeper
James Currie, 16, Son, born Ayr, Ayrshire, Pawn Brokers Clark
Hamilton Currie, 14, Son, born Ayr, Ayrshire, Pawn Brokers Clark
Felix Currie, 11, Son, born Greenock, Renfrew, Scholar
Joseph Currie, 7, Son, born Glasgow, Lanark, Scholar
Sarah Currie, 4, Daughter, born Glasgow, Lanark
Elizabeth Currie, 3, Daughter, born Glasgow, Lanark
John B Currie, 15 Mo, Son, born Glasgow, Lanark
Marion Campbell, 18, Servant, born Oban, Argyll, General Serv

In the Catholic Parish Registers of Births & Baptisms on Scotland's People there are 6 Currie births with father ham* between 1830 and 1850.
3 are in Ayr, St Margaret's
1 at Glasgow St Andrews
2 in Greenock, St Mary's

If, indeed, Hamilton and Sarah came to John's wedding in Canada in 1881, then it must have been his brother Hamilton, rather than his father. Did you find a passenger list for them arriving in Canada? I couldn't see one, nor could I see a record of them coming back to the U.K. afterwards. There were a Hamilton and John Currie traveling together who arrived in Quebec in 1903... that is all I can find. :roll:

All the best,
Sarah