Help please!! Surname: BOWMAN from Dundee?? Scotland.....

Looking for Scottish Ancestors

Moderator: Global Moderators

Fiona1919

Help please!! Surname: BOWMAN from Dundee?? Scotland.....

Post by Fiona1919 » Sat Mar 26, 2005 1:28 am

Hi All,

I am new to this group and thought I would kick things of with the Scottish ancestors which are giving me the most grief research wise.

They are my great grandfather JAMES BOWMAN and his father DAVID BOWMAN.

JAMES BOWMAN was born in c. 1882. My mother and her siblings have a feeling that he was from Dundee in Scotland, but this has not yet been confirmed.

He married my great grandmother ETHEL DIAMOND in Birkenhead, Cheshire, England on 27 Nov 1915. on their marriage certificate it states James' occupation as an ENGINEER aged 33 y.o. His father is listed as DAVID BOWMAN a STONEMASON.

James and Ethel had two children named Ethel and Robert.
When their mother died in 1922 they were sent to live with their mothers sister 'Sarah Margaret Ellison (nee Diamond)' who also lived in Cheshire, England.
I believe that James married sometime later to a lady referred to as 'D.J' or 'Jacki' her name may have been something like 'Dorothea Jaqueline' (don't know the surname), but they are said to have had two daughters named 'Dawn Bowman' and 'Hazel Bowman' who I believe lived in Cheshire also.

I am afraid that this is pretty much all I know about James and David. I don't know when James came to England or whether the rest of his family came with him or not.

I would love to find out more about all of the Bowmans above, but my priority is to find out more about James and David and their family.

Is there anyone who can help me??? I am completely new to Scottish research and am desperate to find out more about the Bowmans.
Any help would be much appreciated.

Many, Many thanks,

Fiona. :)
surnames: BOWMAN

marilyn morning
Global Moderator

Post by marilyn morning » Sat Mar 26, 2005 1:39 am

Hello Fiona,

Welcome to TalkingScot! You should be able to find the records you are searching for if you click onto www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk
Birth 1855-1904 Satutory Records (SR)
Marriage 1855-1929 SR
Death 1855-1954 SR

Regards
Marilyn

Note: www address corrected by a Moderator, - DavidWW
Dogs leave paw prints on your heart.
Maxine Morning b. 23 April 1998 d. 14 Nov. 2008
http://talkingscot.com/gallery/displayimage.php?pos=-1718

DavidWW

Re: Help please!! Surname: BOWMAN from Dundee?? Scotland

Post by DavidWW » Sat Mar 26, 2005 10:05 am

Fiona1919 wrote:Hi All,

I am new to this group and thought I would kick things of with the Scottish ancestors which are giving me the most grief research wise.

They are my great grandfather JAMES BOWMAN and his father DAVID BOWMAN.

JAMES BOWMAN was born in c. 1882. My mother and her siblings have a feeling that he was from Dundee in Scotland, but this has not yet been confirmed.

He married my great grandmother ETHEL DIAMOND in Birkenhead, Cheshire, England on 27 Nov 1915. on their marriage certificate it states James' occupation as an ENGINEER aged 33 y.o. His father is listed as DAVID BOWMAN a STONEMASON.

James and Ethel had two children named Ethel and Robert.
When their mother died in 1922 they were sent to live with their mothers sister 'Sarah Margaret Ellison (nee Diamond)' who also lived in Cheshire, England.
I believe that James married sometime later to a lady referred to as 'D.J' or 'Jacki' her name may have been something like 'Dorothea Jaqueline' (don't know the surname), but they are said to have had two daughters named 'Dawn Bowman' and 'Hazel Bowman' who I believe lived in Cheshire also.

I am afraid that this is pretty much all I know about James and David. I don't know when James came to England or whether the rest of his family came with him or not.

I would love to find out more about all of the Bowmans above, but my priority is to find out more about James and David and their family.

Is there anyone who can help me??? I am completely new to Scottish research and am desperate to find out more about the Bowmans.
Any help would be much appreciated.

Many, Many thanks,

Fiona. :)
Fiona

If James' age at marriage is correct then that means that he was born in 1882 or 1881. Searching on scotlandspeople.gov.uk for a James BOWMAN born in those 2 years produces 9 possibilities.

Only one of those has a father named David, but he has a very distinctive middle name that I'd have thought would have appeared in later records ..........

Davie

anice

Post by anice » Wed Feb 22, 2006 12:03 am

Hi Fiona... I am descended from a Thomas Bowman - father David all from Angus Scotland. While the above person is too early for your David there may well be a connection - the names James and David are widely used in the Bowman Families.

Anice

Jeans girl

Post by Jeans girl » Thu Feb 23, 2006 1:41 am

Hi Fiona & Anice,

I too have a Elizabeth Bowman Father Thomas Bowman in my tree.
Elizabeth Bowman married James Forbes 1822 in Dundee then married John Cumming 1828 in Largo. I would be interested if we have a connection.
Margaret.

anice

Post by anice » Fri Feb 24, 2006 12:18 am

Hi Margaret.....My Thomas Bowman did not have a daughter Elibabeth, there may still be a connection as he had a son and nephew named Thomas.

I'd be happy to share all I have re. Bowman Genealogy.

Anice