Ministers in Clola and Balfron

Looking for Scottish Ancestors

Moderator: Global Moderators

isodavidson

Ministers - Clola and Balfrom

Post by isodavidson » Thu Oct 26, 2006 7:11 pm

So what do you know about Margaret Mitchell & Alexander Smith. A Smith and Mitchell pair (men) left Old Deer and became huge bankers and Insurance men in the US - you could be related to them! - they're interesting. I think I have a Mitchell Smith pair from Old Deer too - George Mitchell and Elisabeth Smith married in Dec 1755 but I still have doubts about them being the right parents of a John Mitchell who married Isabel Hardie.

Also a Thomas Mitchell became a well respected author in the US - he came from Old Deer too - then there was John Mitchell (New Deer) who sailed around the world with John Byron - gfather of Byron poet - in 1733-34 - the fastest world sailing of the time and it was all tied up with the Andrew Selkirk/Roninson Crusoe story - there are plenty to choose from - but sadly I can't connect to any of them!

I also have a Margaret Mitchell born 1791 in Affleck, New Deer - but Affleck is really at Maud - between Old Deer and New Deer villages and haven't found a husband for her yet.

iangmacdonald

Post by iangmacdonald » Fri Oct 27, 2006 7:21 pm

Right now, having divested myself of a string of possible Mitchell ancestors, I know very little. Margaret Mitchel is now no more than a name on a marriage record of an extremely uninformative type with no further information. Alexander Smith is a woolen weaver, born at Cairncummers in 1786. His parents seem to be another Alexander probably born in 1753 (though then there are 2 possible parents) and margaret Slessor, born 1755 at Netherkinknockie, Old Deer. She seems to have William Slessor 1730 of Inverveddie, Longside and Margaret Rob as parents. William has a George as a parent.

Anyway Margaret and William Smith had two sons - Alexander, 1814 and Ferguson, 1816. Ferguson ends up as a legal clerk in Aberdeen and ascends to the dizzy heights of being an Advocates Writer. His daughter Susan Smith marries a John McDonald of Moy who simply ends up labouring in Aberdeen. Then there is a Johnston link and we end up with my mother.

However there are other Mitchells. Ferguson Smith married Margaret Coutts of Peterhead, daughter of Thomas Coutts of Lonmay who married Mary(Margaret) Mitchell at Peterhead in 1814. She was born 1788 at Aquhittrie, Longside daughter of Andrew Mitchell of Longside, son of Charles Mitchel of Longside. Andrew is married to Margaret Allan of Longside. It all gets a bit messy in there though in early 1700s.

Are these of any interest? Sorry not to have any world changers.
Interested in McDonald, Cabrach; McDonald, Moy/Perth; Watt, Peterculter/Kinellar; Spark, Cookney/Muchalls;
Fraser, Auldearn; Johnston/Johnson, Aberdeen/Norway; Lawson, Dysart/Kilconquhar; Couts and Jack, Lonmay/Peterhead

isodavidson

Ministers of Balfron and Clola

Post by isodavidson » Mon Oct 30, 2006 9:27 pm

Sorry - I can't help you with your Margaret Mitchell - do you know when she died? It's always a help as after 1855 is easy and you can find out so much more.

I see on the 1841 Census that Ferguson Smith is a Shoemaker at Greyfriars. I have a great old book about a man who became a well known naturalist (means he killed lots of wild aimals!) in Banff on the North coast. He started of as a shoemaker in Greyfriars in Aberdeen pretty much about the same time as Ferguson. He was 11 at the time and had to serve up for a 6 year apprenticeship. His boss was a drunkard lout who would beat the boy then move on to his wife. The book says that the man was ruining his business with drink and bad temper - yet it is still there - almost 200 years later!

I'll keep a lookout for Margaret and Alexander but don't hold out much hope.

Regards

Isobel

iangmacdonald

Margaret Mitchell

Post by iangmacdonald » Wed Nov 01, 2006 12:50 pm

Persistence pays off.

When I first came across Margaret, months ago, I was distracted by the exploits of her son Ferguson and by the intriguing notion that she had the various reverends as her ancestors. I even thought she might have died young since Ferguson is described on his birth certificate as a "posthumous son". Of course careful reading shows that it is Alexander Smith who has the posthumous son, meaning that Alexander died during 1816.

A broad search for Margaret's death shows that she lived to 91 and married again in 1821 to Alexander Webster, a master tailor in Old Deer. She appears as Webster in all the Old Deer censuses from 1841 to 1881 and is a midwife. Birth is an area she gets plenty of experience in as she has another 12 or 13 children in her Webster marriage.

The age she gives in the censuses and her age at death suggest a birth around 1794/95 and as a slight surprise she claims to be born at Chapel of Garioch. There she is in 1795 with parents William Mitchell and Margaret Mitchell (ms Mitchell according to Margaret's death cert).

The parents apparently get married at Old Deer in 1791. A likely William is born at Old Deer in 1755 to Robert Mitchell and Mary Smith and a likely Margaret is also born at Old Deer in 1754 to John Mitchell and Margaret Reid.

There is a Robert Mitchel/ Mary Smith marriage at Old Deer in 1754 and a John Mitchel/ Margaret Reid marriage at Old Deer also in 1754. At this point the trail goes cold since none of these 4 seems to born in Old Deer between 1700 and 1750 (2 Johns in 1744 and 1745 are too young).

Is there any more information about any of these Mitchells?

As for Ferguson Smith. He does start as a shoemaker. Ten years later he is a General Clerk and by 1861 he is "Managing the Lawyers Office". By 1881 he is known as a Writer and on his wife's death cert this is elaborated to Advocate's Writer. The boy did well.

Who was the gruesome naturalist?
Interested in McDonald, Cabrach; McDonald, Moy/Perth; Watt, Peterculter/Kinellar; Spark, Cookney/Muchalls;
Fraser, Auldearn; Johnston/Johnson, Aberdeen/Norway; Lawson, Dysart/Kilconquhar; Couts and Jack, Lonmay/Peterhead

isodavidson

Post by isodavidson » Wed Nov 01, 2006 3:15 pm

Her family all seem to be buried in Old Deer - you can see that on the MI http://www.abdnet.co.uk/mi-index/ I'll have a look and see what is on the stone - I'm up that way on Friday anyway - family lunch. I want to take photos of Clola Church too and have a look and see if there are any stones in the Churchyard there - it's a private house but they'll probably be OK.

The naturalist was Thomas Edward, he was accepted as a member of the Linnean Society and given a pension by the Queen for his good works. Samuel Smiles wrote his biography in 1876. He was born in Gosport but familly moved to Aberdeen when he was very small. He then went to work when he was 6 as he had been expelled from 3 schools for spending all his time collecting wildlife - and taking it to school. He worked in Grandholm Mills, Aberdeen as a Tobacco Spinner! When he was an adult he moved to Banff where he was a shoemaker and naturalist.

Regards

Isobel

iangmacdonald

Old Deer

Post by iangmacdonald » Wed Nov 01, 2006 8:01 pm

Stone 32 certainly seems to be her and her parents and a fair few children - if you can find a map of the site. Have a good visit. The actual text should be interesting.

No sign of her grandparents though unless they are somewhere on the 283/284 collection.

isodavidson

Ministers Balfrom & Clola

Post by isodavidson » Fri Nov 03, 2006 6:02 pm

Old Deer Churchyard
Stone 311 Sacred to the memory of Clementina Mary Webster Departed this life lamented by all who knew her on 19 january 1885 aged 56 also in memory of the Rev Alexander Webster Minister for 50 years in the parish of Quarff, Shetland died Old Deer 5 October 1887 aged 88

Stone 312 Erected in memory of James Webster, Millbrex who died 28 jan 1868 aged 74 years Also his son John who died 6 September 1871 aged 34years also of Ann Webster wife of James Webster who died 16 May 1881 aged 78

Stone 32 Near this stone are interred the children of Alexander Webster and Margaret Mitchell. viz George d 11 march 1837 aged 4 years and Jessie, died in infancy 21 October 1839. james died 26 September 1851 aged 25, William died October 1861 aged 57 years. The above named Alexander Webster died 21 December 1875 aged 88 years and 9 months. Also his wife Margaret Mitchell who died 28 August 1885 aged 91 years adn 6 months. John Murray his son in law died 14 November 1873 aged 34 years. Also his wife Agnes Webster who died 20 march 1909 aged 73

Next stone
Erected by Elsie Robbie Murray in memory of her parents John Murray died 14 November 1875 aged 34 years. Agnes Webster died 20 March 1909 aged 73 years also the above Elsie Robbie Murray died 2 march 1936 aged 78 years.

Stone 33
Sacred to the Memory of Elspet Webster wife of james Robbie, mason Dunshillock Born 16 December 1822 died 17 October 1865 also their son George born 11 February 862 died 12 November 1867

That's it so far - going to FHS tonight so might pick up a couple more

Have photos of these if you would like them

Regards

Isobel

iangmacdonald

Mitchells and Websters

Post by iangmacdonald » Fri Nov 03, 2006 7:24 pm

Yet another minister. The place is thick with them.

Sounds like you had an intersting visit.

The A&NES MI index seemed to say that there was also a mention of William Mitchell and Margaret Mitchell on stone 32. I took them to be Margaret Mitchell/Smith/Webster's parents. Were they not there?

I'd certainly be interested in seeing the stone if there is some easy way to attach a picture to this system.

isodavidson

Post by isodavidson » Fri Nov 03, 2006 11:05 pm

Checked the draft MIs in the FHS - thought I was short of folk on stone 32 - forgot to check the other side!

Erected in testimony of filial affection by the children of William Mitchell d Aberdeen 24 June 1803 aged 36 toward their mother Margaret Mitchell, sometime midwife of Stuartfield d 1 April 1830 aged 61

Stone 222
In memory of james Keith veterinary surgoen, Stuartfield d 22 may 1863 aged 58, his wife Clementina Johnson d 26 March 1884 aged 80.
other side
Erected by William Keith in Dens of Crichie to the memory of his spouse Jane Wenster d 6 Feb 1851 aged 68

Stone 241 Ann Hepburn d 9 may 1899 and her husband George Webster Newsagent Stuartfield d 17 january 1922

Stone 287
Erected by Andrew Stephen farmer Slampton in memory of his grandaughter Robina Duncan d 2 November 1868 aged 17 and the above Andrew Webster d 24 February 1872 aged 61 and Elizabeth Duguid his wife d 26 July 1890 aged 90

Stone 7
Alexander Webster teacher in Old Deer b Inverkeithney 27 janualry 1773 died 15 Decenber 1839

There is some way to put in pics - I'll work it out and post a message when I've suceeded

Hope this compensates for all your Rev William Mitchell research! I found his interment in Old Deer in 1832 today but there is no stone.

http://talkingscot.com/gallery/displayi ... p?pos=-876
http://talkingscot.com/gallery/displayi ... p?pos=-877
http://talkingscot.com/gallery/displayi ... p?pos=-879
http://talkingscot.com/gallery/displayi ... p?pos=-879
http://talkingscot.com/gallery/displayi ... p?pos=-880
http://talkingscot.com/gallery/displayi ... p?pos=-881

Regards

Isobel

Gallery URLs added - AndrewP

isodavidson

Ministers Clola etc

Post by isodavidson » Sat Nov 04, 2006 12:01 am

Looks like it's let you know all on it's own!

Hope you can see these

Cheers

Iso